• Show
Clear All

• Data Duplication Village at DEF CON 29

Click image for larger version

Name:	DDVLogo-2019.png
Views:	112
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	236582

Check the schedule and/or dcddv.org for the most up-to-date information.

It's true, the Data Duplication Village is back for DC 29! We have all the bits and bytes available from infocon.org packed up into nice, neat packages. If you're looking for something to fill up all your unused storage, may I recommend a nice hash table or two with a side of all of the DefCon talks? This is a "free-to-you" service where we're providing you direct access to terabytes of useful data to help build those skills.

HOW IT WORKS
    DEF CON provides a core set of drive duplicators and data content options. We accept 6, 8, and 10TB drives on a first come, first served basis and duplicate 'till we can no longer see straight. Bring in your blank SATA3 drives - check them in early - to get the data you want. Come back in about 24 hours to pick up your data-packed drive. Space allowing, we'll accept drives all the way through until Saturday morning - but remember, it's FIFO!

WHAT YOU GET
    We're working on more content right up until the last minute but for dc28, we provided:
    - 6TB drive 1-3: All past hacking convention videos that DT could find, built on last years collection and always adding more for your data consuming appetite.
    - 6TB drive 2-3: freerainbowtables.com hash tables (1-2)
    - 6TB drive 3-3: GSM A5/1 hash tables plus remaining freerainbowtables.com data (2-2)
    The DC 29 content will be posted at dcddv.org once finalized

THAT'S ALL?
    But wait - there's more! At DC27, we made our our stretch goal a reality to provide a pick-and-pull datastore in the DDV. We expect to do it bigger and better this year!

DT and KnightOwl post the up-to-date details in the DC Forum thread and you are encouraged to ask any questions you have there as con approaches.

Name:	DDV-Village.png
Views:	112
Size:	4.80 MB
ID:	236583

Name:	DDV-Duper.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	236584

Name:	DDV-Drives.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	236585

Starts
    April 8, 2021
    Ends
    April 8, 2021
    PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Ok, I am going to ask the n00b question (because I can). If I am in search of ALL the data, do I need to bring three empty 6TB drives? I just want to make sure before I show up with insufficient disk space (story of my life).

Comment

Originally posted by Cyph3r View Post
      Ok, I am going to ask the n00b question (because I can). If I am in search of ALL the data, do I need to bring three empty 6TB drives? I just want to make sure before I show up with insufficient disk space (story of my life).
      From what is described, there would be 3 separate 6TB disks. (Plans can change, and I don't run this event.)
      (This assumes there will be an in-person event for 2021; as of April 14, 2021, no decision has been announced about this for DEF CON in 2021.)
      (Advice provided here is no confirmation of any decision.)

One old piece of information to consider when selecting drives to bring:
      https://forum.defcon.org/node/220674...786#post221786 (2015, 6 years ago from 2021):
      "I heard from the Data Village folks running the machines that the WD RED drives had the most compatibility problems with the (older) tower dupers but worked fine in the newer desktop 1:5 dupers."
      So, assuming WD RED drives are still available for sale, it may be good to choose some other 6TB drives.

More advice: upgrade the firmware on your drives before you bring them.
      6: "Who is Number1?"
      2: "You are number6"
      6: "I am not a number!..."

Comment

Thank you very much for the information. That is what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by number6 View Post

From what is described, there would be 3 separate 6TB disks. (Plans can change, and I don't run this event.)
          (This assumes there will be an in-person event for 2021; as of April 14, 2021, no decision has been announced about this for DEF CON in 2021.)
          (Advice provided here is no confirmation of any decision.)

One old piece of information to consider when selecting drives to bring:
          https://forum.defcon.org/node/220674...786#post221786 (2015, 6 years ago from 2021):
          "I heard from the Data Village folks running the machines that the WD RED drives had the most compatibility problems with the (older) tower dupers but worked fine in the newer desktop 1:5 dupers."
          So, assuming WD RED drives are still available for sale, it may be good to choose some other 6TB drives.

More advice: upgrade the firmware on your drives before you bring them.
          One other question. Does it matter on whether or not it is an internal drive or an external drive? I see the pics with internal drives. Should I plan on bringing internal rather than external?

Comment

Yes, SATA III, preferably 7200 RPM
            PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Working...
            X