Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 - Yes
    2 - We won't collect or store any PII
    3 - We are a private event, so we can currently set our own standards. If a law forces us to allow people to not wear masks we would cancel the event
    PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

• lex-LOU-thor
      lex-LOU-thor commented
      Editing a comment
      Understood - respectfully disagree. I fully understand you are a private event. No qualms there - just wanted to make sure I understood your mandates. Respectfully - I just lost my stomach for the event in total. I respect your decision - but given the issues with vaccines (note - I am NOT an anti-vaxer) - I have been taking a wait and see attitude since there has not been sufficient testing of the vaccines (since the processes were condense from 18 to 24 months to about 9). The numbers don't add up for me (IMHO - and this is just for me). I hope you all have a good conference and learn lots.

And thank you for your honest replies. Oh by the way - the loss of interest is for this year we'll see what happens given the context of future years - no one ever required my yellow vaccination card before within my own country. And question 2 was more about the process of validation, than collection or storage. Was wondering what evidence was going to be required.

Comment

• Dark Tangent
      Dark Tangent commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the follow up. Yes it is a global vaccination experiment, and what people learn now will be used for the next inevitable pandemic. My guess is that the mRNA process is so much faster and precise that it will be come the dominant technology.

Absolutely don't travel or feel pressured to attend if you are not comfortable. Next year see what happens!

To answer your question we are requiring whatever the original vaccination card you were given at the completion of your shot(s). We know people can counterfeit them, but that is a crime in the States and you would still be required to wear a mask.

Greetings. DEF CON is a private event, so I fully support your right to set whatever arbitrary requirements you want for admittance.

At the same time, I lament some of the choices made this year, which seem arbitrarily restrictive, based on an insupportable level of trust in government, and contrary to the individual empowerment of the hacker ethic.

Also, this years restrictions exclude myself and my family from participating in person. We had been looking forward to returning physically to our hacking home for an extra year, and are quite sorry to have to participate only virtually again this year. Just had to cancel our room reservations - which really hurt. Hope some sanity returns next year, so that we can as well. Miss you all.

Comment

Originally posted by bitpusher View Post
      Also, this years restrictions exclude myself and my family from participating in person. We had been looking forward to returning physically to our hacking home for an extra year, and are quite sorry to have to participate only virtually again this year. Just had to cancel our room reservations - which really hurt. Hope some sanity returns next year, so that we can as well. Miss you all.
      I'm going to take a stab at it, but it sounds like this will be another one of those venues that doesn't really care about physical limitations. It was hard enough to breathe before I got COVID in 2020, and my lungs only got worse after that. I was one of the first to get fully vaccinated, avoided going out, and have a rescue inhaler. It's still hard to wear a mask for any period of time, and the inhaler only works for so long.

It's easy to go "oh, just wear a mask all the time in public", but I find that the people saying that are almost always coming from a position of health and privilege. One thing the pandemic demonstrated was how many businesses and cities were willing to pay lip service to "except those with medical exemptions", but when the rubber hit the road they didn't care, regardless of documentation.

Comment

Working...
      X