FIRST!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIRST!

This is a first post in the new Section on the DEF CON forums to house the various topics of discussion related to DEF CON 30, in Las Vegas, Nevada.
    It is a test to make sure posting, and editing work, and show up in recent posts.
    OK to delete this post.
    Last edited by number6; September 30, 2021, 18:54.

Since this is FIRST! maybe this is the place to ask because I have not found any answers here (I can be lousy at finding things) for DEFCON 30. For attendance in person, are there any vaccination and/or mask requirements this year? Just asking.

Comment

• number6
      number6 commented
      Editing a comment
      I do not know of any decisions having been made about questions related to vaccination, and preventive actions as required one way or the other. I would guess that it is a complicated topic, and requires more information than we have right now, but that is just a guess.

• lex-LOU-thor
      lex-LOU-thor commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks number6 - was just asking as I am setting up my work approvals, and don't want to pull them if something is mandated that I am unprepared for. Will keep my eyes open for any updates.

Originally posted by lex-LOU-thor View Post
    Since this is FIRST! maybe this is the place to ask because I have not found any answers here (I can be lousy at finding things) for DEFCON 30. For attendance in person, are there any vaccination and/or mask requirements this year? Just asking.
    I am also looking for this info, maybe it only affects a few thousand of us, but I want to attend - and no bones about it - no vax for this old man. I survived 2 versions just fine, and everyone I know that got vax'd also got the C19, whatever that means. but ehh,, I'm sure there are many people that are searching for this information here too.
    Thank you

Comment

Lets do this for 2022 *we* will be more than ready for XXX no doubt.

Comment

The best I can say at this point is that it is too soon to know. A new variant may be super resistant to vaccination, or be super transmissible if you are not wearing a mask, or be more harmful, etc.

We will plan to be flexible, and communicate to everyone as soon as it looks like we can commit to a course of action. It is still to far out to say with certainty.
        PGP Key: https://defcon.org/html/links/dtangent.html

Comment

• lex-LOU-thor
          lex-LOU-thor commented
          Editing a comment
          Appreciate the information. Will get the approvals for on-site, and see where it goes. I know this is a highly volatile subject but hoping for the best. Missed it last year.

• lex-LOU-thor
          lex-LOU-thor commented
          Editing a comment
          Just doing my periodic check in - any thoughts at this point on requirements? Been tested many many times, negative, and being older (61), I'm curious about things as well.

Thank you for the status.

Comment

I have a higher risk of death or disability from COVID, so I'd like to know what infection precautions almost everyone will be taking.

(Infection rates are based on what people will actually do, not what the rules are in theory. Specifically, airborne COVID infections are controlled by good ventilation, masks, vaccinations, testing, and isolation of sick people. How we convince almost everyone to protect each other is a whole other conversation!)

Comment

If we have a talk accepted, can we make a fully online talk and not attend the conference in person? I won't be able to attend this year in person, but would like to virtually with a talk.

Comment

• number6
              number6 commented
              Editing a comment
              There isn't one single answer for all cases. There are talks at the DEF CON Main Tracks, which are highly competitive, and then there are talk in others parts of DEF CON like SkyTalks and sometimes villages or other parts of con which have their own competition and selection criteria to try to choose the best content.

Send an email message back to the address where your talk was submitted or accepted to ask about any accommodations that can be made for remote speaking. Either way, they will want to know. If they can accommodate you, then knowing to start early would be good. If they cannot accommodate you, then knowing you won't be able to present a talk will allow them to try to find another solution, like someone else presenting for you, or if nothing else is possible, select someone else to present a different topic. I do not know all possible answers for all possible places people have been known to speak at DEF CON: contact the group that accepted your talk to find out what can be done.
              Last edited by number6; April 25, 2022, 14:35.
          Working...
          X