small dashboard LCD monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small dashboard LCD monitor

I am looking for a way to rig up a small LCD display on my dashboard and connect it to my wardriving laptop. Sooner or later looking over at the passenger seat all of the time while wardriving is going to end up in a car wreck.

Has anybody figured out how to do this without spending a fortune? An overclocker site had an article about a cheap 5" LCD that was NTSC, but with a laptop you can't put in the card to support it. Ideas?

Re: small dashboard LCD monitor

Originally posted by bon3z
    I am looking for a way to rig up a small LCD display on my dashboard and connect it to my wardriving laptop.
    Check out digitalMDX's pimp dash mod:
    http://home.attbi.com/~digitalmatrix/wardriving/

running a google search:
    http://kyzoku.livejournal.com/?skip=20
    links to http://www.xenarc.com/product/700ts.html
    Well, I've been poking around some more, and come across the Xenarc 700TS. It's a 7" 16:9 LCD panel with VGA input. I think it will be ideal for the car computer project.
    How much did you say you wanted to spend again? Personally an iPAQ dual arkon window suction cup that also holds the gps suits me just fine... and since it only takes a few seconds to put in and out of a backpack I don't have to worry about someone taking off with it.

Comment

Looks interesting but I wonder how hard it is to modify the navigation system and everything. I wish they had a standard laptop plugin on cars. :D

Comment

Originally posted by encrypt31945
        how hard it is to modify the navigation system and everything
        If it was "easy" everyone would be doing it, and you would be looking for something more geeky to do... :)

Comment

Thanks for the cool links Blackwave. The good stuff is a little pricey, so I think I am going to get an old 10" LCD color monitor off of ebay and velcro it to the dashboard or use some kind of cool swivel mount.

Comment

LCD

What about buying a i-opener off of e-bay, installing linux on it, and using remote-x, vnc, citrix, etc to display whatever is on your laptops screen on the flat panel. The whole deal could cost less than $100. You could use a crossover ethernet cable, and plug the laptop into the wired connection. Setup a script on each side, to initiate things. I believe they have a 10 inch lcd. With a little contortion, you could hide all the electronics, in the dash.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=11188

Comment

All I do is have someone else drive me everywhere while I am in the back on the laptop the whole time. There can be advantages to being to lazy to drive.:p

Comment

When I drive anywhere, I have my laptop running, I don't care to investigate it much further thatn loging SSID, WEP/No WEP, MAC and GPS Location. Whe I reach where I am going I save the file and go from there.
                However, I am working on a 12 VDC fed "carputer": (P4 2.0 GHz 512 Ram, 80 Gig IDE, DVD/R, SB Auiology, wireless K/B, wireless Trackball... all the bells and whistles that a desktop/ Tower would have) I have chosen to add the system into my E-center/ audio system... that way no matter where I am in the car. This is not running as of yet, but I hope to have it done by DC time... I am not planning to enter the Wardriving contest, but it will be nice to show it off.

BW- the link you gave only inspires my to become even more creative in the layout and capabilities. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Merciless_Mike
                  BW- the link you gave only inspires my to become even more creative in the layout and capabilities. Any ideas?
                  I think making a themed car like K.I.T.T. would be something else... maybe more wireless W.I.T.T.

personally I love my iPAQ wardriving setup.. all I have to do is make sure all the wires are solid and turn on the gps and then power on the iPAQ and I am off... no boot up time, no blue screens, no kernel panics.. just wardriving joy :)

Comment

The whole setup is really to allow me to 1)Wardrive 2) watch a DVD movie, 3) allow other passengers to play a game or 2 on the long rides... like to Vegas, 4) WARDRIVE 5) MP3 player. Ohh did I mention Wardriving??

I am now thinking of using my old 14" Panel with a custom frame to match wood trim in my car. May have a drop down hinge from headliner, viewable for the backseat... just a thought...

Originally posted by blackwave
                    personally I love my iPAQ wardriving setup
                    I use a Zaurus but range on Linksys WCF12's stink, as do Netgear MA701's... I like my Cisco 350 PCMCIA in my laptop...

BW- I like W.I.T.T... Wireless Information Testing T(ruck) (eam) ... works for me :D

Comment

cyphz0r from the netstumbler forums (forums.netstumbler.com) recently posted his setup: http://jeep.efreestylin.com/ComputerInfo.html

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave
                        cyphz0r from the netstumbler forums (forums.netstumbler.com) recently posted his setup: http://jeep.efreestylin.com/ComputerInfo.html

That would be a fun summer project....hrm I have made up my mind...the project begins tommorrow. I will post pics as the project goes on. I think that could work. It would be a nice setup for when the wwwd roles around.
                        Last edited by ck3k; May 1, 2003, 02:03.
                        ~:CK:~
                        I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

Originally posted by ck3k
                          I think that could work. It would be a nice setup for when the wwwd roles around.
                          Not to mention all that hotties you would instantly attract with your pimp wardriving rig... :D

Comment

cheap lcd monitors

check out these monitors for $80, comes with speakers and av jacks

Comment

That is good for cars without the navigation system built in.:D

Comment

Working...
                              X