[Sunday] Ham Radio Exams at DEF CON 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Sunday] Ham Radio Exams at DEF CON 30

Its that time of year again! Come on by the Ham Radio Village at DEF CON 30 to get your amateur radio license and/or upgrade!

The Ham Radio Village will be offering free amateur radio exam session at DEF CON 30 on August 12, 13, and 14 for all attendees to come and take the amateur radio license exam!

Please note since April 19th 2022, the FCC has imposed a new $35 application fee for new licensees (and more). Once you pass your exam, you will receive an email from the FCC to pay the application fee within a one week window, at which point your application will be invalidated, and a new application will need to be filed (note, you will not need to re-take the exam provided you have your Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination from the session*).

## How to get ready
    We recommend using ham.study (https://ham.study) to study the exam. The technician and general (first two of three levels) exams are 35 question exams, with publicly available question pools. ham.study will help you study by running though the entire question bank.

One you're ready to go, sign up on our exam listings (below), where you will fill out all the relevant information, and get your FRN if you do not already have one.

Questions? Email testing@hamvillage.org with any questions or stop by the Ham Radio Village Discord Server (discord.gg/hrv).
    Starts
    August 14, 2022 11:00
    Ends
    August 14, 2022 14:00

Event edited by me with approval from DT: event highlighting changes from "none"/default to "Village": Village highlighting should get exported to the calendar consumed by the main web site and get color coding on the forum calendar as a village event.

Comment

Originally posted by InkRF View Post
      Its that time of year again! Come on by the Ham Radio Village at DEF CON 30 to get your amateur radio license and/or upgrade!

The Ham Radio Village will be offering free amateur radio exam session at DEF CON 30 on August 12, 13, and 14 for all attendees to come and take the amateur radio license exam!

Please note since April 19th 2022, the FCC has imposed a new $35 application fee for new licensees (and more). Once you pass your exam, you will receive an email from the FCC to pay the application fee within a one week window, at which point your application will be invalidated, and a new application will need to be filed (note, you will not need to re-take the exam provided you have your Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination from the session*).

## How to get ready
      We recommend using ham.study (https://ham.study) to study the exam. The technician and general (first two of three levels) exams are 35 question exams, with publicly available question pools. ham.study will help you study by running though the entire question bank.

One you're ready to go, sign up on our exam listings (below), where you will fill out all the relevant information, and get your FRN if you do not already have one.

Questions? Email testing@hamvillage.org with any questions or stop by the Ham Radio Village Discord Server (discord.gg/hrv).
      I will be studying to take the General Class while attending DEFCON 30. Do you have a deadline day to register?

73's N2QWE

Comment

• InkRF
        InkRF commented
        Editing a comment
        There is no deadline to register, in fact, many of our examinees are walk-in that don't learn about ham radio till they walk into the village for the first time

Thanks, I have registered for Sunday. I assume that Tech, General, and A.Extra will all be offered, correct?

Also, they say calculators are permitted. Can you please confirm that something like a basic TI30X IIS, with nothing stored in memory, of course, will be acceptable?

Thanks.

Comment

• InkRF
        InkRF commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there! Glad to hear you'll be joining us.

First, yes, all license exams will be offered, so if you want to go from zero to extra, we'll be ready!

Second, that calculator you mentioned should be fine as long as you demonstrate to the VE checking you in that nothing is programmed or stored in memory. As AE5WH said though, it is ultimately up to the VE/session lead processing your exam (which may be me, or someone else depending on the time of day) if they wish to accept your calculator. In that unlikely case though we do have calculators that we do supply applicants with.

See you in August!
        - InkRF

technically, it is up to the 3 certifying VEs to accept or refuse an exam tool. it is up to InkRF or the session CVE to give a more definitive answer.

that said, my "home" team accepts most simple devices - just not the high end programmables. we also have "dollartree specials" available for loan. we haven't had any complaints. I also scanned the current element 3 & 4 pools and didn't see any real need for more than +-*/ but ymmv.

I am NOT currently assigned to your exam session so this is strictly info only.

AE5WH

Comment

Working...
      X