X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOTMAIL Subkey ???

After installing XP I was doing some checking and I found

Hkey_local_machine/software/clients/mail/Hotmail

I have not with this PC being on the Net or have Hotmail account.

Whats going on ????

If you look in Internet Exploiter, under the Programs tab of options, you will also notice Hotmail listed as a valid email client. Hotmail has been registered as a valid default client as part of the Passport implementation
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Man, that both sucks, AND blows. Integrated Hotmail? Isn't having integrated Windows bad enough? When I want to get to some sites I have no choice but to use a hotmail logon, I hate that. I believe that violates some FTC laws actually. (Having to buy item A in order to get an unrelated item B).

Comment

Yeah,i was at a LAN party and i happened to meet the guy that runs the whole hotmail sha-bang..That was the first i ever heard that hotmail was ran by m$..heh..So seeing as how m$ wants their crap to control everything,they prolly threw hotmail in XP as a way of saying "We are m$,you WILL use our product or die!"

Comment

why is everyone shocked... this has been in the works for several years since the Microsoft Passport projecte was approved to commence... you guys realize that MSP is going to be required for almost everything when using features such as single-sign on right?... such as the moment you log on, to when you write and email, to track your cookies, to allow you to use your program that you bought for yourself, and even though it is installed on the machine no one else can run it, unless they have a license for it... come on... this is the way MS works... but it appears they were creeping too low and slipped your radar... :)

Comment

I remember a bunch of people complaining about this when they found out about it during Whistler betas, because of the integration that was being slated for the XP release.. and it was not a new topic then by far

hello folks... if you think that is something unpleasant, then you should be most interested in learning more about the entire .net concept that Microsoft is actively pursuing as THE future of the OS, as well as development for it..

Comment

BW, that's why I am so scared of .NET .

As Hotmail was found in the registry, I have a question. A "consultant" told me that Windows 2000 rules in that you can change EVERYTHING via the registry, from IP address to gateway to domain, all you have to do is create the proper registry keys and you can rule the computer that way. True?

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                BW, that's why I am so scared of .NET .
                ph33r n0t... for only accept or be cast into another OS, ph0r windows is a beast ever so powerful... it will devastate all that crosses its path... bw MS:12:1213

Originally posted by astcell
                As Hotmail was found in the registry, I have a question. A "consultant" told me that Windows 2000 rules in that you can change EVERYTHING via the registry, from IP address to gateway to domain, all you have to do is create the proper registry keys and you can rule the computer that way. True?
                You bet, the registry is backbone of Windows, rule it and you rule the beast. A lot of apps nowadays that do configurations, customations, etc. Are just tinkering with the registry... what the creepy part is are the undocumented registry keys that when added can open or do things never imagined... Windows programmers are stressed to use the registry as much as possible rather than files... though in .net you see more xml files for configs... but nothing will ever stop the registry from being the the beast that it currently is...

Comment

Under HOTMAIL subkey their are 3 more subkey 1.backup 2.protocols 3.shell, Under protocols a key called mailto has a default value data URL:mail to protocol. Also in defaulticon key in default u see value data hmmapi.dll which is the same for value data for Shell\open\command, and a openinboxhandler.
                  As said before messenger comes as default with XP and it looks like HOTMAIL subkey is tied with that.

;)

Comment

Of course... all Passport driven items

Comment

Working...
                    X