Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacker Documentary

Hello all,
    I am a 2 time Con attendee. This year i have decided to write, produce, direct and film a documentary on Hacking, Hackers ( for this purpose i am including Crackers, Phreeks ect.) Computer Culture and Cycber punk. As Defcon is the largest gathering of computer security experts this would be a prime opportunity to showcase or feature the talents and personalities. Needless to say i understand that some of the attendees at Defcon cannot have their faces or identities known, nor would they care to have cameras in their faces. The style of documentary that this would be is not the same that TLC or TechTV would produce, instead i am not trying to senastionalize or glamourize the industry, rather feed a bit of reality to an overzealous media form. If anyone has ever read Douglas Thomas' Hacker culture , this would be a good reference point to the style of commentary of which I wish to convey. And I also think it would be a shitload of fun to get trashed, in Vegas, and do a documentary on Hackers. Kind of like Fear and Loathing meets Wargames . If anyone knows who I need to contact i.e. goons or Defcon administration, kindly respond.
    Thanks, hoping to hear from somebody soon,
    SPARKY
    kill your TV

have any samples of your previous film works?

Comment

I have only done a few things, a university school project with my girlfriend, a kind of "American Idol " except with drag queens (trust me not my proudest moment) and i am working on a web based TV show. So i am fairly new to the film world … the way i see it is that PC culture is my first love and video is my 2nd, athis project is something that i have been thinking of and working passively on for the last little while and i want to make Defcon my first "location" shoot. I also want to interview people with Microsoft,Linux,BSD, etc… to get their opinions (hey if you make a appointment you too can talk with a PR rep with Microsoft! ) I also intend to interview people at MIT, Berkley as well as people within the industry itself.
      kill your TV

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky
        I have only done a few things, a university school project with my girlfriend, a kind of "American Idol " except with drag queens (trust me not my proudest moment) and i am working on a web based TV show. So i am fairly new to the film world …
        Not to dissuade you, but: speaking as someone who has a background in the film and television industry, allow me to suggest that you might want to put off doing this until maybe next year. I understand that you want to present your subjects in the best possible light, but there are a lot of subtleties and interrelationships you need time to learn as well as technical material.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
          Not to dissuade you, but: speaking as someone who has a background in the film and television industry, allow me to suggest that you might want to put off doing this until maybe next year. I understand that you want to present your subjects in the best possible light, but there are a lot of subtleties and interrelationships you need time to learn as well as technical material.
          Yeah but see, for all the drinks he can buy us that weekend I'm sure a few of us forum people could do some hand holding and a who's who for him. After all we're not all gimps or anything. I'm no Knight Lightning or some other 'high profile' type but I've witnessed and participated a bunch of non-disclosed activities over the past 15 years, and I'm sure plenty of others have done the same. Three months of prep work and talking to the right people and it could be possible.
          "Just when I thought I was out.......They pull me back in"
          - Neural's Godfather moment

Comment

First i want to thank you Skroo, you are right in to make the suggestion that i wait till next year, but i must respond with the point that i have waited since last year and that has been a big help. Whereas i have basic filming experience, i have a fairly good grasp on post-production and the technical elements i have been able to do a lot of research and hopefully have a good base to start i am planning for the project to span more then a year and i would like to film at this years Defcon and next year one as well if it is at all possible. As far as buying drinks, Neural, if we meet, the first around is on me and that is not to get me introduced to anyone. i have been pretty good over the last year at meeting people and getting peoples opinions. but i can always use the extra help
            kill your TV

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky
              As far as buying drinks, Neural, if we meet, the first around is on me and that is not to get me introduced to anyone. i have been pretty good over the last year at meeting people and getting peoples opinions. but i can always use the extra help
              Woohoo!

*jots down on PDA "Meet Sparky"*

I was just teasing about the drinks. Every year I tend to end up having more liquor in my room than I can possibly drink so I end up distributing it saturday night.

I'd like to see a hacker documentary that doesn't have the word "hacker" in it every 3rd sentence. I'd like to see a documentary about a "community of computer enthusiasts" who are like everyone else. They pay bills, the try to work regularly. They meet at 'conventions' to spend a weekend hanging out with friends they've made over the net since before everything started having an e affixed before it (e-commerce), before it was the super highway, maybe even before it was the global village. The bright ones who saw the possibilities early on whether they discovered the 'community' through access at college, or became part of the 'community' through BBSes, or rode the x.25 networks. Something noting that although we might be eccentric in nature, we're not any more eccentric than anyone else really. We don't run around in uniforms like trekkies (unless you consider your defcon tshirt as your uniform :) ). Actually we're probably as eccentric as chess geeks. They spend hours and hours reading and studying their craft. Looking for weaknesses in their opponent's defenses, etc. I used to be one of those. I think this game of chess was much more interesting.

And despite the fact that we have our 'high profile' types, it should focus on everyone including that anonymous guy sitting in the far dark corner of the 'capture the flag' area. Nobody else knows his name. He has a badge with a handle scrawled on it and for some reason he's not drawing attention towards himself.

Now that's what I want to see.
              "Just when I thought I was out.......They pull me back in"
              - Neural's Godfather moment

Comment

In order to pursue this you are likely going to need to get Media creds. Last time I checked the media FAQ wasn't up yet, but once it is, directions will be there on what to do to move forward.
                perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

I know this will likely be in the FAQ, but until then.. what constitutes the need for a media card? Where is the line between pain-in-the-ass-bystander-with-a-camera and full on media annoyance?
                  if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

someone say free drinks? Buy me booze and I'll tell you all about the gibsons I've hacked and supermodels I've done..

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by c0nv3r9
                      I know this will likely be in the FAQ, but until then.. what constitutes the need for a media card? Where is the line between pain-in-the-ass-bystander-with-a-camera and full on media annoyance?
                      Pretty much the difference is the use afterwards. Fuckwad with a camera isn't planning to mass distribute his footage/pictures, likely isn't conducting interviews. Media folks do.

This guy may not need media creds...I don't make that decision...I can say that if he doesn't at least find out first...BK is probably going to get modo pissed.
                      perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Thanks Chris for the info, do you know who is going to be in charge of that aspect of the con.

My intention is to be upfront and honest about what I am doing. And not to PISS anyone off. My main goal of this will be to get interviews and peoples point of views on "computer securities" and the lack there of. I have always been against the medias presents at Defcon ( kind of ironic that I am now the media) because i do not think they have people’s best interest involved. They always seem to sensationalizing the fact that these are "HACKERS" and that they are "normally reeking havoc and computer systems ", "but now this is them partying". I want to know more of the why people got into computers and what motivates them i want to explore the connections between technology and people and to get a accurate picture of the "Hacker" not the one shown to use buy FOX or CNN. i thought something more along the lines of the truth would be more appropriate, (and just so it is known i use the work Hacker to describe people at the con, i know that not every one there is a "hacker" and that people have different meanings for the word.

thanks again info Chris

Noid
                        All i have to say is if you got a gibbson then dam dude you are so l33t ...lol JK, hey i under stand the fact there is no way that you can make someone believe you with just words in a forums you need to see and hear the questions from the source.

All i wanted to do was make my presence known and to people and give them the chance to make statements about them selves there views on the world they live in and if that means people are going to tell me to fuck off then so be it. People not wanting to be involved with the media is a big part of the "computer under ground" and that is part of the story. I don’t want to make a movie about hacking and techno music vinyl and freaks that is going to sell a million, i want to make a movie that has the truth some thing that may not be the edge of your seat thrill ride that Hollywood would pump out but that isnot what I would sell. I may want to do a few shots of the inside of the con and maybe some form out side but what want to do was interview people one on one or as a group.
                        kill your TV

Comment

Originally posted by noid
                          someone say free drinks? Buy me booze and I'll tell you all about the gibsons I've hacked and supermodels I've done..
                          Kimble? ;P

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
                            Kimble? ;P
                            It's frightening that we both thought that.
                            .: Grifter :.

Comment

Working...
                            X