No announcement yet.

Buying Used Laptop/Wireless Equipment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Used Laptop/Wireless Equipment?

I'm wanting to buy a used laptop in good condition, with a warrenty, if possible. Also must have hardware to run either Linux (Debian, RH, and/or FreeBSD)

Can anyone recommend anything?

Also looking at getting some wireless equipment with it. Like a wireless card. I've seen this recommended

Orinoco Wireless Card

I've checked out CNET for info, but I think there is probably a better resource, especially hardware that works with Linux

Wireless Info

What can folks recommend on here?

thanks
    "I am the EPITOME of FRUGALITY, the KING OF CHEAPNESS, the TIGHTEST of the TIGHTWADS, the MASTER-BLASTER of PENNY PINCHING, the BISHOP of UNDER-BUDGETING, the CARDINAL of COST-CUTTING, I AM THE MASTER MISER!!!."

-Jim Sears

http://www.linux-laptop.net
    When you get to the point of narrowing down which type of laptop you would like to get, you can visit here and get help with configuring your box to run correctly with linux. How to use the site is pretty self explanitory. I'd check eBay for a good deal on a used laptop.
    You're either on my side or else you're in the way.

Comment

As far as laptop buying goes, I would stay the hell away from hp and compaq. I also would make sure to get a serial port, alot of new ones dont have them, it will make you happer down the road to have one. my 2 cents.
      ~:CK:~
      I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

HARDWARE

When looking at a laptop, with specific intent to run linux on it I'd suggest doing research not about they type of laptop, but what's inside of it. There is no 1 vendor that will make you happy across the board with all of there models.

Look for a laptop with well documented, standard hardware, that you know will have linux drivers. Several linux vendors maintain hardware compatibility lists. I would reccomend checking them out, and cross referencing them with the laptops you are looking at.

Stay away from cheesy video chipsets. Stay away from software modems. Stay away from no name integrated ethernet chipsets.

The worst thing you could do is buy a laptop, and find out that there's no driver to support it's crappy video chipset in anything more than 16 colors. That the modem won't work with linux, etc.
        You're not going to have fun trying to get linux drivers for a modem from some obscure chinese company that doesn't even have a website.

Also check the above stated linux laptops website for compatibility. Don't wander too far from one model to the next assuming it will work. Often times, vendors make major changes to hardware designs between revision numbers.

When you think you've found your laptop, be sure to use google, to research other peoples linux experience with that specific model number. Benefit from their mistakes.

Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
        X