Train 2 the con

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train 2 the con

i have alot of picking equipment that i would like to bring soi would rather take the train to vegas... amtrack shows a las vegas station on its page so i know its there, but i cant find its excat location in the city.. i am curious if anyone else here has taken the train or knows if it is evan a good idea to do so(i can leave the equipment at home if i had to and just take a plane)
    -democow

I recall people discussing this last year, and from what I remember, the train doesn't acutally go through Vegas. You end up taking a bus for a significant leg of the trip. While Amtrak will show trips available to various cities, you'll notice a special notation for cities serviced by their bus service.
    the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

ah, i thought the bus icon ment there was a bus station that could be used at the station or something to that extent, not that you had to to use the bus to reach your destination.. i think i am just going to fly in, just because its quicker and the hotel offers a shuttle bus and all of that fun.. ship my picks next day fedex with saturday delivery and hope they get there before i leave :)
      -democow

Comment

Train goes as far as los angeles and then they stick you on a bus. No fun. Heard it takes forever.
        "Just when I thought I was out.......They pull me back in"
        - Neural's Godfather moment

Comment

you have any tips for mailing equipment to your hotel?
          -democow

Comment

Re: Train 2 the con

Originally posted by democow
            i have alot of picking equipment that i would like to bring soi would rather take the train to vegas
            How much would that cost? After 9-11, I knew folks stuck on the west coast trying to get back to VA. They were quoted $6K over 10 days.

As for shipping, you might want to try Mailboxes etc, they're part of UPS now and you could just have it shipped to one of their stores.

Comment

If you want to ship Fed Ex you would not want to do Saturday delivery. The Cost for Saturday delivery is about 10 dollars more. The difference between 2 days and over night 10:30 delivery is only about 4 dollars difference (Friday). Most hotels if you are registered will sign for packages and hold them for your check in.
              I am shipping most of my stuff fed ex, but I also ship from a business account and already have my pick up scheduled for the 5th from Las Vegas. Pick up requires two days notice.
              Note: Insure your stuff and pack it carefully, also you might try going directly to your local fed ex office and shipping with them it might save you a few dollars.

Good Luck

Comment

Re: Re: Train 2 the con

Originally posted by murakami
                How much would that cost? After 9-11, I knew folks stuck on the west coast trying to get back to VA. They were quoted $6K over 10 days.

Yeah, pretty much everything I have seen the train is usually the same price or more expensive than flying. BTW, do you live in VA? If so, where? PM me if you would rather not advertise that :D
                perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by B|ackCat
                  If you want to ship Fed Ex you would not want to do Saturday delivery. The Cost for Saturday delivery is about 10 dollars more. The difference between 2 days and over night 10:30 delivery is only about 4 dollars difference (Friday). Most hotels if you are registered will sign for packages and hold them for your check in.
                  I am shipping most of my stuff fed ex, but I also ship from a business account and already have my pick up scheduled for the 5th from Las Vegas. Pick up requires two days notice.
                  Note: Insure your stuff and pack it carefully, also you might try going directly to your local fed ex office and shipping with them it might save you a few dollars.

Good Luck

Ummm... huh?

Why would he want Saturday delivery when the con starts on Friday? And why are you scheduling your pick-up for the 5th when the con is over then? Or are you talking about a pick-up for sending your stuff back? You win for adding the most useless details to a thread.

As for the original poster, most hotels have no problem accepting packages for registered guests on or near their scheduled arrival date. Just call in advance and make note that you're expecting a package, and they'll store it safely for you if it arrives before you do. And FedEx rates are the same whether you ship it from their office or one of their affiliates, so go wherever it is convenient for you, or even grab the label from one of those setups you see everywhere and call them for pickup.
                  the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Working...
                  X