New "Secure" Licenses...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New "Secure" Licenses...

Local media here at home have been picking up on the fact that Alberta (Canada) is phasing in new 'Secure' Drivers licenses in an effort to thwart identity theft.

http://www.canoe.ca/CalgaryNews/cs.cs-06-04-0009.html

'A complete overhaul of drivers licences will make it impossible for crooks to steal Albertans' identities'

Now am I the only one that sees this as really dumb to assert them as being the be all end all solution to stop identity theft?

It's an improvement considering our licenses were some of the easiest to forge (OTS HP card printer)

Just thought I'd throw this out there for discussion. Do you think this will have any affect on identity theft?
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

im sure it will have some affect, but it wont stop it all, since if i want a perfect ID i go to the source DMV. insiders are the way to go.
    "so many books, so little time"

Comment

Maybe Canada will be as dumb as the USA and take the Matricula Consular card in lieu of a license.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
        Maybe Canada will be as dumb as the USA and take the Matricula Consular card in lieu of a license.
        Foreign passport. Not that anyone knows what one should look like, but they take it everywhere.

Comment

The US does not recognize Internation driver's licenses, so you can't use those.

As for passports, I remember duplicating my US passport on my computer once, I got soooo close, but some of the fonts had little curlies and stuff in them that made it not possible.

Maybe the Defcon ID for one year can look like a passport to the country of Defcon.

Comment

That would be kind of cool. Imagine trying to go through the border with that.:D

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
              The US does not recognize Internation driver's licenses, so you can't use those.

As for passports, I remember duplicating my US passport on my computer once, I got soooo close, but some of the fonts had little curlies and stuff in them that made it not possible.

Maybe the Defcon ID for one year can look like a passport to the country of Defcon.
              Think of the possibilities for stamps in it :)
              Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman
                Think of the possibilities for stamps in it :)

I shudder to think.........
                If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

You can get it stamped for each talk you go to,
                  or for each health clinic you visit,
                  or ask for asylum at the liquor store. :p

Comment

and HighWiz could have his own stamp..... for reasons no-one really wants to understand.... needless to say, you might not want THAT stamp in your passport
                    If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Consider the evil Russian ID (as bad as CCCP's was) still required in occupied Western Karelia (still half-destroyed Viipuri was Finland's second largest city until World War II)!
                      Thus anything in North America is superb.
                      (Russians just shit down both Cyrillic and Latin-alphabet "Movement for the Indeppendence of Western Karelia" websites in Petrozavodsk, RU.
                      They will be reset from San Diego, USA).
                      THE WESTERN KARELIAN INDEPENDENCE MOVEMENT.

Comment

Originally posted by Siviak
                        and HighWiz could have his own stamp..... for reasons no-one really wants to understand.... needless to say, you might not want THAT stamp in your passport
                        ewwwwww.... Okay, that's not a stamp I'd want to collect.

Comment

Working...
                        X