Flying to defcon from Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying to defcon from Europe

I'm making the trip over to defcon this year, from europe and am after a bit of friendly advice about bringing an AOR 8200 Mk3 scanner over with me.

With the extra security checks going on these days is it a good idea to pack something like this, especially when this scanner picks up frequencies that the US (fcc?) approved scanners have blocked.

Also if I do decide to chance it and take it over, is this better to be packed in carry on luggage or in checked luggage. Bearing in mind my carry on will probably have a laptop, ipod, palm, gba and a digital camera already.

Can I expect the third degree going though airports with all this kit?

mail it.
    the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

When in doubt, go postal.
      the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

that sounded cooler than me.

shuddup.
        the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Originally posted by octalpussy
          When in doubt, go postal.
          I like that!!
          If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Hmm, UPS, Fedex, Airborne and all the others have slogans, how about "GO POSTAL!" on t-shirts for the post office? :D

Comment

Re: Flying to defcon from Europe

Originally posted by ctx
              With the extra security checks going on these days is it a good idea to pack something like this, especially when this scanner picks up frequencies that the US (fcc?) approved scanners have blocked.
              Having moved semi-approved radio equipment back and forth before, you'll be fine if you do the following:

- Place the scanner in your checked luggage, not carry-on.

- Leave batteries in it so that it can be powered-up and demonstrated if requested.

- Don't mention anything about it being modified; there's no reason why airport security needs to hear about it and that is a word that will make them very interested in you.

- Don't have it tuned to a cell frequency just in case it needs to be demoed.

Also if I do decide to chance it and take it over, is this better to be packed in carry on luggage or in checked luggage. Bearing in mind my carry on will probably have a laptop, ipod, palm, gba and a digital camera already.
              Check it. Everything you've listed here is standard-issue for carry-on; the scanner would only cause confusion and that would only cause questions. Believe me, flying domestically within the US has become a baffling ordeal if the TSA agent wants to ask questions because they don't know what answer they're looking for.

Can I expect the third degree going though airports with all this kit?
              You'll probably be OK out of Europe, but expect the TSA to make everything difficult on the way out. Just check it and you should be OK. Don't post it; you're asking for it to be stolen. If you really have to go this route, FedEx / DHL / UPS it to yourself care of your hotel. You should be able to specify a delivery date for it, and the delivery services tend to be a lot better about paying up for lost goods than postal services, at least in my experience.

Then again, I flew through four airports on an expired Irish passport three months after 9/11 without anyone even noticing it was expired, so who knows.

Comment

Re: Re: Flying to defcon from Europe

Originally posted by skroo
                - Don't mention anything about it being modified; there's no reason why airport security needs to hear about it and that is a word that will make them very interested in you.
                Modified? Hum why would you modify a scanner to unblock frequency if your not in USA ;)
                As far as I know only USA block frequency! I am sure there is other country as well but it's not the majority
                /* NO COMMENT */

Comment

Re: Re: Flying to defcon from Europe

Originally posted by skroo

Then again, I flew through four airports on an expired Irish passport three months after 9/11 without anyone even noticing it was expired, so who knows.
                  Ah a fellow irish man, or just an irish passport. :)

Comment

Half the radios at DC are modded anyway. We just don't have to get through Airport security! hahah

Comment

Working...
                    X