Wireless and Linux Questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless and Linux Questions?

Just got a laptop and getting ready to head to DC, but I am a bit confused about what type of wireless card to get and how to get it to work.

I am running Knoppix 3.2 and have found these links, but I am probably looking for a simipler explanation on wireless cards and how to get them to work under Knoppix.

What cards are most Linux folks using with success?

Also interested in getting a 802.11G card.

PCMCIA Wireless Under Linux

The Device and Drivers
    "I am the EPITOME of FRUGALITY, the KING OF CHEAPNESS, the TIGHTEST of the TIGHTWADS, the MASTER-BLASTER of PENNY PINCHING, the BISHOP of UNDER-BUDGETING, the CARDINAL of COST-CUTTING, I AM THE MASTER MISER!!!."

-Jim Sears

I would start here:

http://www.knoppix.net/s.php?q=wireless

As for cards, I would stick with the Orinoco Gold card.

This thread in particular addresses the Orinoco card with Knoppix:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1357#6974

Any reason you are set on Knoppix? Setting wireless up on most Linux distros is a fairly trivial procedure and there are tons of resources/how-to's out there.
    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris

Any reason you are set on Knoppix?
      Been runnin RH on a desktop for the last two years and have alot of problems with packages, and wanted to run something that based off of Debian package manager.

Would you recommend something else?

See u @ DC11.

thanks
      "I am the EPITOME of FRUGALITY, the KING OF CHEAPNESS, the TIGHTEST of the TIGHTWADS, the MASTER-BLASTER of PENNY PINCHING, the BISHOP of UNDER-BUDGETING, the CARDINAL of COST-CUTTING, I AM THE MASTER MISER!!!."

-Jim Sears

Comment

Have you considered gentoo? If packaging is such a must, it has gained my consent in the last month... although it is still not slackware
        if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

My blanket recommendation is Slackware. But if you are comfortable with the Debian package manager then so be it. There are a couple of "Which linux is better" threads on the forums and skroo summed it up best by saying that no one can tell you what the best distro is for you. You will have to decide that yourself. Good luck.
          perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by converge
            Have you considered gentoo? If packaging is such a must, it has gained my consent in the last month... although it is still not slackware
            A person last year gave a presentation on Gentoo at my Linux Group and I was impressed, but seems like you have to have alot of time on yr hands and really be a Linux power user and read thru 20 pages of documentation to get it up and going.

I just got OpenBSD on a box and really like that but I had to put alot of time/effort into it to get it up and running.

-Jim Sears

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
              There are a couple of "Which linux is better" threads on the forums and skroo summed it up best by saying that no one can tell you what the best distro is for you. You will have to decide that yourself. Good luck.
              Well said.

I'm not going to get on a soapbox and say that a certain linux distro is better than another, but I have found out over time that I want stability and excellent package managment, and I've enjoying running Debian on a pc and want to do the same on a laptop.

-Jim Sears

Comment

Working...
              X