(Unofficial) Defcon 11 Videography Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Unofficial) Defcon 11 Videography Project

After bouncing the idea around a bunch to myself and others, here is an actual call for participants in an unofficial attempt to pull together some Defcon video footage. Below is a slightly better explanation:

What?
    Various footage of conference aspects pulled together in a cleaned up form and authored out to a final product, SVCD/DVD/etc

Why?
    I plan on having a lot of misc footage that I take at random points and thought it would be cool to have a more calculated product if more parties were interested. For example, technical issues, dead batteries, or just plain bad angles could interfere with taping of Hacker Jeopardy. Multiple video/audio sources could make for a pretty comprehensive coverage of the event.

Where? When?
    Defcon, duh. Well, actually any footage pertaining to the conference; be it Hacker Jeopardy, various talks, consentual interviews, events you or a friend may be participating in, or just a group of folk heading over to the corner store or hard rock. NOT LOOKING FOR CROWD PANNING AND UNCONSENTED FOOTAGE. Such footage will be excluded from the final product and will likely get you beat up by various people at the conference.

Who?
    Anyone that is interested in contributing: video footage, graphical skills (ie dvd menu design etc), audio coverage, general artistic works... just plain old cool stuff to throw into a final medium that attempts to portray the feel of what attending DC 11 was like.. as possible as that may or may not be.

The Product?
    ... or more likely, what do I get for helping out? My intentions are the following:
    ) get a copy of the final product to each contributor to the project (this may or may not be all submitted media/footage)
    ) relinquish control of the footage to DT/Goons from that point, deciding if they want the product for future defcon distribution, sale, whatever
    ) IF it is deemed by above parties that it should openly distributable, hosting will sprout from there

-----

If you have any questions, concerns, ideas.. especially if you want to participate, post below, PM me, email me....
    Last edited by converge; July 14, 2003, 19:39.
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

superb idea!

I am all for a DEFCON sanctioned video project. Will there be any structure for this, or is it pretty much just turn in what you capture.

Will this have any relation to the DEFCON TV effort, I am sure I read there will be such expanded coverage this year such as interviews, hacker-cams, etc...

I am sure individuals would want to keep their original footage, is there a method to offload the video whilst retaining a copy ... this is mostly for people with 8mm camcorders (such as myself)... (especially if the offloading is happening during the con)

Is there / Will there be a site or mailing list to work on this project offline?

I am hoping the end video will be rather unrated... no bleeping or digital manipulation to blur our non-PC occurances.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave
      I am all for a DEFCON sanctioned video project.[
      Just to make sure there is no misconception among readers, at this point the project is ENTIRELY UNOFFICIAL.

Will there be any structure for this, or is it pretty much just turn in what you capture.
      At this point there is no specific structure. Structure will be defined by those interested in the project. For example, going into Hacker Jeopardy with a little bit of a layout / gameplan could be a nice idea, instead of random chaotic video.

Will this have any relation to the DEFCON TV effort, I am sure I read there will be such expanded coverage this year such as interviews, hacker-cams, etc...
      At this point no, although it would be quite interesting.

[B}I am sure individuals would want to keep their original footage, is there a method to offload the video whilst retaining a copy[/B]
      This is a hurdle that has to be thought out. I don't have a really good solution off the top of my head. While the primary focus would be to try and get everything in a digital form with the least amount of quality loss... things may have to go as ability dictates. I will have my capture equipment with me also... I need to free up drive space between now and then.

Is there / Will there be a site or mailing list to work on this project offline?
      Yes. If this takes off, a site will be definate, a mailing list possible, as well as an irc chat or something of that nature for those interested in hashing things out.

I am hoping the end video will be rather unrated... no bleeping or digital manipulation to blur our non-PC occurances.
      Oh no... entirely unrated. Not to say that all footage will be used, but all used footage will be there in its entire raw form. FUCK CENSORSHIP.. at least in the copy for those who are participating. The rest of course, would remain up to the powers that be.

Comment

Its a great idea. It sounds like post-production work will take quite some teamwork. Private and Public forum space is available to this project, upon request.
        Especially if on DVD format, this could be a great project.

Comment

Great Thanks converge, I am bringing my 8mm camcorder and tripod...

I am hoping to get at least half the most excellent footage I got last year (which I have yet to convert and release).

I have some great ideas for those whom wish to play... though they could be rather questionable so I would want to make sure they got an OK before giving it a whirl since I'd rather enjoy my stay at the AP :D

Comment

hahaha pissing off goons is a very bad thing. pissing off attendees leads to pissing off goons... which might I add is a very bad thing. not a goal of this project at all :)

bottom line is, the more participants, the more creative ideas, the more energy, the better the final product is for people to enjoy...

Comment

can the unofficial name of this unofficial event be :
              project darkroom
              ?... it has a tasty ring to it :)

Comment

quite yummy indeed. Unless something better appears out of nowhere before this becomes a staple, I'd say that makes the project name quite nicely :)

Comment

What does DT think? Is he the final word?

Comment

I'll bring my Hi-8. I was going to leave it at home this year, but this doesn't sound like a bad idea.
                    .: Grifter :.

Comment

Wow, this sounds great. I will be bringing 2 miniDV cameras, a microphone, etc...I am going to be there working on a documentary called "l33t" based on computer securities, the media and the culture they have both created. I'd be more than happy to help out any way I can, even on a voluntary, just-for-fun basis. This idea sounds great. I have extensive digital video editing and production experience, and I'd be happy to lend my experience to the project.
                      Also, I'll take this time to make a shameless plug. Like I mentioned above, I will hopefully be shooting my documentary at DefCon this year and would love to sit down, chat and get peoples' opinions on computer securities, the media and the way they are depicted.
                      See you all soon,
                      Sparky
                      kill your TV

Comment

Awesome! Project Darkroom is a go!

Please email converge@lostboxen.net if you intend to participate and we can start up an ongoing email for initial planning/ideas.

As for the con, I don't think it is worth overcomplicating things to try an make solid plans to get certain types of footage... and I'm sure this could be a quick irl discussion if we decide for a gameplan on HJ.

Do we want an irc meeting before the con hits to discuss ideas/issues/anything? I head out this Saturday for Vegas, but should have access each night in between....

Comment

I would love to help

This sounds like something I would love to help out with. If we do have an irc meeting or something up, that would be cool, just to semi-plan something? I think my friend sixpaws might lemme use her video camera, since I do not have one of my own. But I would love to help out anyway I can (cover art, music, video, etc).
                          "DJ JACKALOPE IS MY HERO"

Comment

I just expressed my interest.

I will be bringing my DV camera and hopefully my laptop (It's my work system and the HDD is being replaced today) which I will install Premiere 5.5 on (it has firewire/USB onboard).

I may also be able to bring some a pro-quality Lav and/or hand-held mic and possibly even a boom. Although my camera sucks and we'd have to improvise for lighting. But we could then do some good-quality interviews with people who want to be interviewed for later posterity.

I also have a 6x6 green-screen that we can set up in my room at the AP if you want to do interviews and then replace the background in post-production. This was we can have clean audio and isolation and then change the backdrop to the AP pool area, footage of the strip, or possibly dessert footage.. who knows.

I've also been taking some multimedia production classes lately and have done some stuff for the local cable access station. So I'd like to get the chance to gain some more experience.
                            Last edited by Contrarian; July 24, 2003, 19:24.

Comment

Deffinately intersted, I can probably offer up some help. Im debating taking the video camera.. I usually just do photos, If I take video this year.. I'll convert it and send it over..

I was intrested in doing something like this myself with all the small quicktime and avi videos from the locals I went with, to be streamed from a website.

I'll watch this thread..

Comment

Working...
                              X