Phone deposit for paying for your room with cash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone deposit for paying for your room with cash

Has anyone found out what this year's rate is on the phone deposit if you pay with cash?

Generally if you put the room on your credit card they don't really need a deposit on the phone because any calls you make will just be billed to your credit card but if you're paying cash they usually want you to also pay a deposit on the phone in case you make phone calls. I know at defcon 7 it was $50/night meaning I had to show up with an extra $150 I wouldn't get back until I checked out.

Last year it was $25/night. Anyone know if it'll be the same.

I thought this would be a good heads up post for first timers who are on a budget so they know that if you're paying cash, you're going to have to bring extra to place as a deposit on your room phone or place the room on your credit card.
    "Just when I thought I was out.......They pull me back in"
    - Neural's Godfather moment

Don't we all have cell phones by now?

Comment

Re: Phone deposit for paying for your room with cash

Originally posted by Neural
      Has anyone found out what this year's rate is on the phone deposit if you pay with cash?

Generally if you put the room on your credit card they don't really need a deposit on the phone because any calls you make will just be billed to your credit card but if you're paying cash they usually want you to also pay a deposit on the phone in case you make phone calls. I know at defcon 7 it was $50/night meaning I had to show up with an extra $150 I wouldn't get back until I checked out.

Last year it was $25/night. Anyone know if it'll be the same.

I thought this would be a good heads up post for first timers who are on a budget so they know that if you're paying cash, you're going to have to bring extra to place as a deposit on your room phone or place the room on your credit card.
      Ask them to block outgoing call, safer if you bring some "friend" in your room...
      /* NO COMMENT */

Comment

They'll block outgoing calls? Cool.

Everyone generally has a cell phone but they still have always asked for a deposit on the phone.
        "Just when I thought I was out.......They pull me back in"
        - Neural's Godfather moment

Comment

ech... can't they just rip out the phone? Hell I'll bring it to them.

Comment

Thats goin to cost alot in repair charges. I didn't know you could block out going calls. Is this only for the AP or other palces too?

Comment

Originally posted by encrypt31945
              Thats goin to cost alot in repair charges. I didn't know you could block out going calls. Is this only for the AP or other palces too?
              Hum it was a suggestion... maybe you can't...
              I'll go hide myself now:(
              /* NO COMMENT */

Comment

Yes, you can have them block your room from making calls, and that applies for most hotels. You can also request that any mini-bar type items be removed for those places which still have that sort of thing.

At the AP, I always told them to block my room from all charges. That went for calls, mini-bar (when they had one), rental items (beds, etc), and any other incidentals.
                the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

personally, I suggest putting a deposit down on your credit card for incedentals. :D

http://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-11....html#Dousharm

ok bad joke
                  "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by octalpussy
                    Yes, you can have them block your room from making calls, and that applies for most hotels. You can also request that any mini-bar type items be removed for those places which still have that sort of thing.

At the AP, I always told them to block my room from all charges. That went for calls, mini-bar (when they had one), rental items (beds, etc), and any other incidentals.

OP, just called the AP and asked them do as you suggested. He said that he coudn't "guarantee" that, and the systems they have set up are automatic and they have no control over it. Are they giving me the run around? He was giving me alot of attitude after he realized that i was there for defcon. They coudn't have been less helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by pyrophite
                      and the systems they have set up are automatic and they have no control over it.
                      hot damn!... oh!... you don't know how hard that makes me just reading that... MuHahah...

Comment

OP, just called the AP and asked them do as you suggested. He said that he coudn't "guarantee" that, and the systems they have set up are automatic and they have no control over it. Are they giving me the run around? He was giving me alot of attitude after he realized that i was there for defcon. They coudn't have been less helpful.
                        It's not automatic. They do become a lot less cooperative after you mention Defcon. Most times, I've found that once I get there, they're a lot friendlier at the desk. If you're still getting trouble, ask for the manager on duty or even the general manager. I ended up having to go all the way up to the general manager last year to get my problems resolved, but in the end, it was much easier once I got there... only took a few minutes to clear up.

Comment

i just hope im not in for a headache even before the con starts:(

Comment

i just hope im not in for a headache even before the con starts:(
                            Don't bother trying to call them... that's a headache and a half. They're much more reasonable when you're standing at the desk. It's also much easier to get them to be accomodating if you get in early (Tues. or Wed.).

Last year, I didn't even get that silly price list because I got in early.

Comment

well so much for rolling in with the caravan:D

Comment

Working...
                              X