DC Cell phone Bill Blues....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Cell phone Bill Blues....

Got my cell phone bill a week ago from the span covering Defcon. I started worrying when it came in a full 9x12 envelope.

Canadian cell phone, roaming in the states is $1 a minute + LD + local airtime charges (insane rate) = Friggin huge bill (>$200 extra)

Alot of it was calling people I came with, but alot were calls back and forth to people I met/know down in the states (Siviak, Octalpussy, Deviant, and a crapload of others)

For what this bill is costing me, I am seriously thinking of getting a US phone for use when I'm down in Vegas or NYC, or wherever I am south of the 49th. Which, given that I'm down there every summer, would be cheaper and easier.

My provider has decent rates in Canada, but shit all for deals for usage in the states. I'm in Canada, BTW. I recall someone saying that someone had a plan that had free roaming and free LD in North America which would be effective in replacing my current phone and dumbass provider.

Anyone got any suggestions/insights/deals/warnings?

Next trick is getting a US postal address for the bill and have it forwarded up here.
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

just pick up a prepaid at the local conveniance store for next con. put $10 on it every year and you're set for life.

Originally posted by renderman
    Got my cell phone bill a week ago from the span covering Defcon. I started worrying when it came in a full 9x12 envelope.

Canadian cell phone, roaming in the states is $1 a minute + LD + local airtime charges (insane rate) = Friggin huge bill (>$200 extra)

Alot of it was calling people I came with, but alot were calls back and forth to people I met/know down in the states (Siviak, Octalpussy, Deviant, and a crapload of others)

For what this bill is costing me, I am seriously thinking of getting a US phone for use when I'm down in Vegas or NYC, or wherever I am south of the 49th. Which, given that I'm down there every summer, would be cheaper and easier.

My provider has decent rates in Canada, but shit all for deals for usage in the states. I'm in Canada, BTW. I recall someone saying that someone had a plan that had free roaming and free LD in North America which would be effective in replacing my current phone and dumbass provider.

Next trick is getting a US postal address for the bill and have it forwarded up here.
    the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

www.virginmobile.com

Pre-paid, and... well.... their free unlimited data service is fun to play with. ;-)

And you cost me a whole 68 cents!! Hehehe... got my bill, couldn't figure out who the hell I would be calling in Canada... then I realised it was during con.
      the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by renderman
        I have yet to get my cell bill in, although I can say that using my vx7r sure offset some of the would be costs... which only works well if everyone you intend on chatting with has a radio with similar rx/tx capabilities.

prepaid phones are good (though sometimes rather unfashionable), and it may be a tad costly for three days or even a week , and the cards (to refill time) do expire every three months or so... use them or lose them :)

Comment

Originally posted by octalpussy
          www.virginmobile.com

Pre-paid, and... well.... their free unlimited data service is fun to play with. ;-)

And you cost me a whole 68 cents!! Hehehe... got my bill, couldn't figure out who the hell I would be calling in Canada... then I realised it was during con.
          Wierd charges on the bill are easily dismissed (or suspected) if they are during con :) My bill was a most interesting international read

Pre-paid has advantages (no contracts), but something I could use up here on a regular basis would be more useful. No sense having the thing idle for 11 months a year
          Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Renderman: I feel your pain. wasn't sure how much I was going to use my phone, so I sucked up the $.60 / minute and went with it... $190 mistake :/ I have another phone now
            if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by converge
              Renderman: I feel your pain. wasn't sure how much I was going to use my phone, so I sucked up the $.60 / minute and went with it... $190 mistake :/ I have another phone now
              *Start Sarcasim*
              10-10-987 baby, JS says its 3c to canada and, get this youll love it, only 39c to connect! Wow wee!
              *End Sarcasim*

brake-down their (telcom USA) 10 10 numbers

old number with ALF
              99c connect (same charge, use 20min or not) 5c after 20min.
              new
              39c connect instant 3c min.

20min*3c = 60c + 39c connect = 99c WTF?
              "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

I boycott cell phones...

Comment

Originally posted by pezz
                  I boycott cell phones...
                  boycott, just because?

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave
                    boycott, just because?
                    Why?
                    1. most companies don't allow you to bank minutes
                    2. The customer service sucks
                    3. The adult market is saturated so they market to teenagers
                    4. Analog systems are completely insecure
                    5. They function as GPS based tracking devices for the government and law enforcement(so they know where you are at all times)
                    6. The initial password setup for voice mail is insecure

etc....

Comment

Why?
                      5. They function as GPS based tracking devices for the government and law enforcement(so they know where you are at all times)

etc....
                      you must boycott a lot of things then...

1) so?
                      2) not necessarily... to my own surprise, my latest phone with verizon is actually quite nice. I had a major issue within a week and the customer service guy was awesome, solved it right then and there... took extra effort to let me keep my existing phone and data that I already tweaked, but was fully prepared to replace it with a new one on the spot if need be, no questions.
                      3) that is true about everything... not to mention that middleclasss to wealthy teens are more likely to spend money than any other demographic... what doesn't market to them?
                      4) what is secure? .. its a cell phone, not a secret spy phone..
                      5) and the government already doesn't do this with more legacy items?
                      6) this isn't limited to cell phones... anything with a default password is weak...

not trying to be an argumentative prick but... well.. yes I am.. I don't see the need for paranoia as long as you know what you're getting into.... which appears to be the case :)
                      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by converge
                        you must boycott a lot of things then...

1) so?
                        2) not necessarily... to my own surprise, my latest phone with verizon is actually quite nice. I had a major issue within a week and the customer service guy was awesome, solved it right then and there... took extra effort to let me keep my existing phone and data that I already tweaked, but was fully prepared to replace it with a new one on the spot if need be, no questions.
                        3) that is true about everything... not to mention that middleclasss to wealthy teens are more likely to spend money than any other demographic... what doesn't market to them?
                        4) what is secure? .. its a cell phone, not a secret spy phone..
                        5) and the government already doesn't do this with more legacy items?
                        6) this isn't limited to cell phones... anything with a default password is weak...

not trying to be an argumentative prick but... well.. yes I am.. I don't see the need for paranoia as long as you know what you're getting into.... which appears to be the case :)
                        My super secret covert barbie phone is more secure... :D

Comment

Why?

etc....
                          It sounds like you just don't want one. No need to justify. Just say it doesn't do anything for you.

There are many modern conveniences that I don't particularly care for such as those digital pads to sign for stuff at the store. When I got time to kill and feel like honing my a-hole skills, I'll go to some place like best buy and refuse to sign it. I'll then have them bring up a manager to explain what they are going to do with my signature, how secure it is, do they have a written policy that they can provide, etc. I also encourage other customers to get involved if I can. This is best to do during a Saturday afternoon, preferably during the holiday season.

If I'm short on time, I just write "Go fuck yourself."

Comment

Originally posted by murakami
                            It sounds like you just don't want one. No need to justify. Just say it doesn't do anything for you.

There are many modern conveniences that I don't particularly care for such as those digital pads to sign for stuff at the store. When I got time to kill and feel like honing my a-hole skills, I'll go to some place like best buy and refuse to sign it. I'll then have them bring up a manager to explain what they are going to do with my signature, how secure it is, do they have a written policy that they can provide, etc. I also encourage other customers to get involved if I can. This is best to do during a Saturday afternoon, preferably during the holiday season.

If I'm short on time, I just write "Go fuck yourself."
                            I just pay for everyting in cash...that I got directly from the bank, new bills, I wear gloves...then I soak them in pig blood for 2 days to jack any DNA that may have inadvertenly gotten on the bills.

Then I put my gloves back on...and write Go fuck yourself on the bills and it's off to shop baby.
                            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                              I just pay for everyting in cash...that I got directly from the bank, new bills, I wear gloves...then I soak them in pig blood for 2 days to jack any DNA that may have inadvertenly gotten on the bills.

Then I put my gloves back on...and write Go fuck yourself on the bills and it's off to shop baby.
                              I tried that once, but I just ended up using the pig blood in a stew. It seemed like a waste of pig blood.

Comment

Working...
                              X