dream laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dream laptop

I've tryed to find a good laptop on ebay and havn't found any good deals myself. I'm just saving for a 2.4 ghz new one :D

As far as laptops go, dont buy HPs. I got mine and it is about to self destruct, the back grill broke and the power cable is loose, and the battery wont hold a charge. It does however run linux quite nicely, I am gonna go for a nicer dell or toshiba or maybe alienware when I get the money......:D
    ~:CK:~
    I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

I am a toshiba man myself... can never have too many of those :)

Comment

I've had my Toshiba for a little over a year now and it is really great! The dept. I work in has HP's that have gone through quite a lot of abuse, but I'll stick with Toshiba. They have had a reputation for building great stuff for a long time.
        apprentice

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave
          I am a toshiba man myself... can never have too many of those :)
          Yup.. I can't complain about them either. I have used 3 different models, all have been good to me.
          Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

IBM Thinkpad, T and A models ;)

Haven't been too impressed by the X and R models

Sonys suck (cheap keyboard, flimsy cases, failing harddrives, etc.)

Dells suck; I just dislike Dell after having been forced to by their POS systems by corporate policies. Mediocre crap built for people who exclusively use computers to make powerpoint presentation and play solitaire.

Comment

We've had 7 Dell Inspirons, and several of them have had very heavy use with only a few minor problems that were covered under warranty.

Toshibas seem to be top notch, same for some IBM models.

Personally, i've owned a half-dozen Powerbooks, from a 170 to a Ti667. Best laptops ever.
              #ut2600 / #dc-forums | EFNet

Comment

My compaq laptop is all broken like your hp ck3k, stay away from them. I like the dells. I had to throw mine at a wall to do damage to it. (one of the screws holding the display on poped out and I haven't bothered to try and fix it.) I always recomend Dells and IBMs to people, mine have always been very durable. The toshibas seem to be pretty nice, but I have never owned one.

Comment

I've always liked thinkpads, they're built like tanks, have awesome keyboards, and I prefer the trackpoint over a touchpad.
                  "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it. -Voltaire"

Comment

I have been looking at the dell 8200 for around 1500 bucks, so that is the route I was gonna take, but I have heard some horror stories about dells. The toshibas are kinda overpriced, and I am a fan of the touchpad........:D
                    ~:CK:~
                    I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

sony for style
                      toshiba for relialibility
                      ibm for indestructability

i have used all 3. i'm a style guy so i'm a big sony fan
                      the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

HP == Plague...

...Avoid it.

I had an HP for exactly 36 hours in November. I won't run through the full litany of problems I experienced in that brief time with it, but suffice to say that the main irritation was that enabling the mouse under Linux (either via gpm or X) would cause the keyboard to stop responding.

I've replaced it with a Toshiba Satellite which I really like, runs both Linux and Windows very well, and has been a kickass little machine in general to the point that it's acting as a full desktop replacement.

Re: everyone else's comments on other makes: I've had good experiences with Dells and IBMs, though I just don't like the feel of the Thinkpads. Sony is definitely more about style than substance. Compaqs just blow in general; even their server-class hardware has slipped several notches in quality in the last few years.

Comment

you're just not a very positive person!

;) :p
                          the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Originally posted by KeLviN
                            sony for style
                            toshiba for relialibility
                            ibm for indestructability
                            I haven't owned many laptops, but I've played or used a lot of different ones and done research on dead ones. Keep in mind that I work mostly with older models.

I found toshiba to be reliable and durable. Free Geek gets alot of Toshiba Satellites, because they keep on ticking, but they are built like a brick.

Thinkpads are also pretty good in that department, though sometimes you can't get full screen in console mode without loading some drivers in dos first.

I've heard nasty things about Vaios, have received one totally dead one, and another with a nasty kb, though that was doubtless the fault of whoever spilled shit on it.

I have been most happy with Dell, because when I did research I found there were alot of information and programs still out there about the CPi* series. There were forums that were still active and occasionally had a representative troll through them once in awhile. I also had no trouble with it and linux, though the fan doesn't seem to fire up when it uses only battery power, and their bioses are notoriously buggy. In comparison, Sony's website sucks donkey's nuts.

Comment

I own an HP laptop, it sucks..but I thought it was a good idea at the time. Things are fine until one thing breaks....then others gradually follow, then you're lucky if it works anymore(or recharges CK3K)....one of the reasons why I got it was the driver support, I hate looking all over the place for some odd ball driver, HP usually takes care of that for me.....that is if it hasn't already broke....
                              Where's the dedication?

Comment

Working...
                              X