Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Wireless Stats

http://www.airdefense.net/eNewslette...3/feature.shtm

Not earth shattering news by any stretch but interesting comparisons between cities.

Originally posted by TRUNX883
    http://www.airdefense.net/eNewslette...3/feature.shtm

Not earth shattering news by any stretch but interesting comparisons between cities.

You gotta question their numbers and their assumptions.

Three cities and they only found ~1200 APs?

57%, that's twice the average from the WWWDs, that's a much larger sample size.

Rogues are all default settings?

Larger enterprises don't deploy consumer products?

The stat on APs with encryption enabled and the percentage of encrypted traffic confuses the issue. It indicates that they are aware of the problem, and have found an alternate solution.

Sounds like AirDefense is trying to drum up business.

Comment

It would be interesting to run thier data through the church of wi-fi's stats gen program to see how thier results come out against ours.

There were stats submitted from those 3 cities to the WWWD, it would be interesting to post our own stats to compare to thiers.

1200 Ap's in 3 cities. One has to wonder if they know what they are doing. With puny stats like that I certainly would'nt hire them, I can get that many in a few hours up here in the frozen north.
      Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman
        It would be interesting to run thier data through the church of wi-fi's stats gen program to see how thier results come out against ours.

There were stats submitted from those 3 cities to the WWWD, it would be interesting to post our own stats to compare to thiers.

1200 Ap's in 3 cities. One has to wonder if they know what they are doing. With puny stats like that I certainly would'nt hire them, I can get that many in a few hours up here in the frozen north.

I'll run the individual stats on those three cities and post them here when I get home from work today.
        perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

BW got more than that alone in the WWWD.
          The penguin is watching.
          "The DefCon forums dont reward knowledge, but punish iggnorance." -Noid

Comment

WWWD Stats on those 3 cities:

Atlanta

Total APs found= 1332 100%
            APs with WEP enabled= 414 31.08%
            APs without WEP enabled= 918 68.92%
            APs with a Default SSID= 528 39.64%
            APs with a Default SSID and no WEP enabled= 473 35.51%

Chicago

Total APs found= 5407 100%
            APs with WEP enabled= 2226 41.17%
            APs without WEP enabled= 3181 58.83%
            APs with a Default SSID= 1786 33.03%
            APs with a Default SSID and no WEP enabled= 1612 29.81%

San Francisco

Total APs found= 2668 100%
            APs with WEP enabled= 900 33.73%
            APs without WEP enabled= 1768 66.27%
            APs with a Default SSID= 1098 41.15%
            APs with a Default SSID and no WEP enabled= 964 36.13%

Comment

Stats side by side for the truely stats happy:

Atlanta

Total AP's:
              Airdefense: 444
              WWWD: 1332

Without WEP:
              Airdefense: 277
              WWWD: 918

Rogues (Now WEP and default):
              Airdefense: 36
              WWWD:473
              -------------------------------------------
              Chicago

Total AP's:
              Airdefense: 235
              WWWD: 5407

Without WEP:
              Airdefense: 135
              WWWD: 3181

Airdefense: 25
              WWWD: 1612
              San francisco

Total AP's:
              Airdefense: 457
              WWWD: 2668

Without WEP:
              Airdefense: 238
              WWWD: 1768

Airdefense: 43
              WWWD: 964

3 City Totals:

WWWD found 9407 APs' where Airdefense found 1,136 : A mere 12% of the WWWD's number

Of the totals:

No WEP:
              Airdefense: 57%
              WWWD: 62%

Rogues (No WEP and default)
              Airdefense:9%
              WWWD:32%

The WWWD found more in total and found even worse statistics than Airdefense. Though since they were working with only 12% of the sample space that might explain it. However, since the WWWD's data is 3 months old, I'm wondering how much security has been turned on since then.
              Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman
                The WWWD found more in total and found even worse statistics than Airdefense. Though since they were working with only 12% of the sample space that might explain it. However, since the WWWD's data is 3 months old, I'm wondering how much security has been turned on since then.
                I would imagine there is some increase in security, but that the majority of the difference lays in the statistical sample. Also, where you drive makes a big difference. For instance, the first 5 days of the WWWD I drove in residential areas that have a large population of NSA employees. The WEP ratio on those was about 45%, however, for the next two days I drove upper middle class areas that don't have as many NSA employees. Those had about 30% WEP enabled. Then the last day I drove more businesses. These were about 33-35%. In the end it averaged out to about 38% for my drives of Baltimore and about 35% for Baltimore total.

It's like the polls that CNN does. If they want to skew the poll results in a liberal way, they poll primarily urban, downtown residents. If they want to skew it in a more conservative way, they sample more rural, middle America areas. This is a reason that I don't trust polls...and also a reason that I try to get as much coverage as possible for the WWWD.

Comment

I have been stumbling thru San Francisco before, and I found alot more then that with just my ipaq and orinoco card, no antenna, I was curising around before a concert and got bored, so I whipped out the ipaq. I think the airdefense people are A. Using Netstumbler B. no fancy antennas C. I would guess only drove the downtown area, which is loaded with them. I also noticed for buildings that lease out floors to other companys, you shoot the yagi up the side and scan it, sometimes you will hit some more aps.

WWWD rules...I may be slightly biased

Airdefence bites the big one
                  ~:CK:~
                  I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

Working...
                  X