Choices Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choices Choices

so anyways ive been doing the dev thing for awhile, and im entering the mid to end part of my AS in computer science. Ive learned alot about several Os's and im not a newbie at any of them yet i always wonder what Os i should stick to, and in making a list im compiled 3 choices , Gentoo , Slackware , and Open BSD... I was curious to hear what the actual Pro's and Con's , and possibly what these offer for compilers for diffrent lang's.... I do spend alot of time in my music, so ill need something that can run XMMS, or something similar, ive heard Wine is a good windows substitute, mainly because i have an extigy, and cannot find support for it anywhere . And i like an occaional Get away with Opera web browser. Ive done the red hat 9.0 thing... didnt fly, i was so pissed at it i was burn about 2 RPM's to a cd and throw it through the screen. I am also thinking protection from the really pothetic wanna be's. Send me a reply via email or post it and have a good night *yawns* 3am

[ Mel ]~*

Originally posted by Melinko
    so anyways ive been doing the dev thing for awhile, and im entering the mid to end part of my AS in computer science. Ive learned alot about several Os's and im not a newbie at any of them yet i always wonder what Os i should stick to, and in making a list im compiled 3 choices , Gentoo , Slackware , and Open BSD... I was curious to hear what the actual Pro's and Con's , and possibly what these offer for compilers for diffrent lang's.... I do spend alot of time in my music, so ill need something that can run XMMS, or something similar, ive heard Wine is a good windows substitute, mainly because i have an extigy, and cannot find support for it anywhere . And i like an occaional Get away with Opera web browser. Ive done the red hat 9.0 thing... didnt fly, i was so pissed at it i was burn about 2 RPM's to a cd and throw it through the screen. I am also thinking protection from the really pothetic wanna be's. Send me a reply via email or post it and have a good night *yawns* 3am

[ Mel ]~*

Sufficed to say, google maybe be a better place to ask this then here. This is one of the old Debates, which OS is best. And to be honest it depends on what you like the best, what you will be needing it for, and how much time you have to dedicate to it. There are other questions, but those are the three a picked for here and now.

If you still want the answer here then I need another piece of information from you. Why those three Choices ? What about Slackware, gentoo and Open BSD do you like so much? Have you installed all three and tried them out or have you just heard about them and thought they sounded cool because lots of people used them?

If you haven't installed them, then do so. Try them out, see what's under the hood. Think about it this way. You are going to buy a new car. You have it narrowed down to three choices for whatever the reason. Are you just going to take consumer reports or your friends advice on which is the best car, or do you want to go out and test drive each one before you see which you like the best?

And just a quick note. Don't expect people to email you. That's why we have a forum, so people post response back to eachother. That's how a community is generated.

;)

Comment

Working...
    X