This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows to control BIOS

A deal with BIOS maker Phoenix Technologies would allow the operating system to directly control hardware. It also raises concerns over who controls the software in PCs
    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/dev...9116902,00.htm

Now this is another good reason, why to use linux, and not put up with microsofts shit.
    ~:CK:~
    I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

ugh, sure sounds like a nightmare, I have already started running into DRM related files since last year... not pretty at all...

Comment

If the operating system controlled the bios, A worm like Blaster could cause alot more damage then was possible before, considering how much control bios have over a computer. Thats freaking stupid...Its the equivilant of giving a gun to a puppet and leaving it sitting there. ok...maybe thats a bad analogy.
      The dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave
        ugh, sure sounds like a nightmare, I have already started running into DRM related files since last year... not pretty at all...
        I hope it gets over turned, because I have a feeling it will destroy personal computing, and I will just have to use pre-DRM software/hardware, even tho, I am guessing they will make it manditory, so all your old crap wont work. Another concered rasied is the virus issue, that would suck, your hardware, is fucked, i mean, if you can access the physcially stuff, it is over, just wait till a server(there own) gets compromised like that, it will make people think twice. I see linux taking over the industry if microsoft keeps this up, they dont make a quality product, and it is trying to control everything, as linux starts to become easyer to install and run, i see a switch comming, cant beat the "free" factor either.

Comment

Originally posted by 0versight
          The only Distro of Linux that is ready for that is Red Hat..... This is all just an opinion of course...

I believe Dell sells Workstations with Red hat pre-installed.
          Yeah, I feel it will only get better, as the public eye turns away from microsoft, lindows and others are a step in the right direction, sure some will say they are to easy to use, I am all for it, if it brings linux forward. I still hope I can see the day microsoft is overrun by linux.

edit : linux minus the SCO asshats

Comment

"Eighty percent of success is showing up." - Woody Allen

as for the virus issue, a worm can do just as much if not more damage now. I know that with asus mother boards you can flash the bios in windows using an update utility found on their site. I am sure its possible with other boards as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bobaxos
              as for the virus issue, a worm can do just as much if not more damage now. I know that with asus mother boards you can flash the bios in windows using an update utility found on their site. I am sure its possible with other boards as well.
              Viruses have been able to do this for years.. even pre-CIH days. I seem to remember some evil code I had YEARS ago that would fuck with the BIOS as a payload.
              The 2 main problems with M$ having control of the BIOS is:
              1: If a virus/worm/exploit gets out (and it WILL happen), you stand to lose a lot more than your data. It would be trivial to turn the PC into a doorstop (or bullet catcher, if you are into "hardware shoots", as some folks and I do.)
              2: This is nothing but a strategic advantage for Microsoft. What a better way to dominate the market than to control the hardware? Want to install your favorite open-source OS on YOUR hardware that you paid good money for? Too goddamn bad.. Microsoft does not support/allow it. Want to post a way to get around it (Mod chip, anyone?). They sue your ass to keep that advantage. I do not see how ANYTHING good can become of this..
              Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Working...
              X