Dell WIN 2000 CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell WIN 2000 CD

I have a WIN 2000 CD for my DELL. I want to use it for my laptop, an IBM ThinkPad. When I attempt to load it on the laptop I get a message that says this CD is for Dell computers only. Is there any way around it? Also, is there any way of getting my WINDOWS registration numbers or serial numbers from my PC? I don't have the book in which they came on.

Originally posted by puckhead
    I have a WIN 2000 CD for my DELL. I want to use it for my laptop, an IBM ThinkPad. When I attempt to load it on the laptop I get a message that says this CD is for Dell computers only. Is there any way around it?

What you have is most likely just an image of the default install, not the actual install files themselves.

Basically, your screwed.
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

I think its probably like a sort of "quick restore" and won't work because its configured for only the exact dell computer you have and its hardware. Buy the 2000 cd.

Comment

I had one of these for my old hp, and this toshiba. It will check things and make sure it is said laptop, course I had another copy of the just for dell, all you need is the proper oem serial. I have seen serial number viewers, I have on on here just so I can record it at times.
        ~:CK:~
        I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

From what I understand the motherbord on dell's have a unique vendor code (like all motherboards), and cd will probe it for this code. If the code does not match, it will spit out an error
          "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by hackajar
            From what I understand the motherbord on dell's have a unique vendor code (like all motherboards), and cd will probe it for this code. If the code does not match, it will spit out an error

Actually, this is very close to what it does. Dell (and many other OEM vendors) provide you with a restore CD. The restore CD checks the BIOS to ensure that it is a Dell computer. It doesn't have to be installed on the specific laptop it was shipped with, but it does have to be on a laptop with a Dell BIOS.
            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

I had a similar problem with my Micron. My recovery CD would not work after I flashed the bios with an upgrade. When I asked for a new restore CD they told me I could go to the website and download all the files I needed. Hello, my computer won't even boot, thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X