Centrino: Promising future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centrino: Promising future?

I've been looking really hard at the new Centrino processors...

I know that there isn't any drivers for linux yet, however I wanna get some of your guys opinions on what you think the future holds for it, I mean, do you think this would be a formidable pard @ Con? I'm sure next years Centrino processors will be 11g instead of the 11b's they have now - They look pretty sweet and low-profile (always a good thing in my book) - anyways any1 who wants to give there opinions would be glady welcome - thanks!

IcEbLAze

(P.S- I did a search on this before I posted and found zero results..)
    When you draw first blood you can't stop this fight
    For my own piece of mind - I'm going to
    Tear your fucking eyes out
    Rip your fucking flesh off
    Beat you till you're just a fucking lifeless carcass
    Fuck you and your progress
    Watch me fucking regress
    You were meant to take the fall - now you're nothing
    Payback's a bitch motherfucker!

Slayer - Payback

I was looking at centrino proc, and they seem like a good deal with the nice battery time and wifi connectivity, yet I just went p4m why? cause it is tired and true, and linux wont have any issues with it.
    ~:CK:~
    I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

I've yet to read anything actually impressive about the centrino... other than hype and nonsense... anyone with good digs for me?

until then..

call it, pointless... pointless
      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

with the commercial visions of staff members moving their cubicles into the middle of foot ball fields, yosemite forests, and strip clubs, enticing those in middle management to send out PO's for new centrinos, when the P3's they have now are more than enough to run excel, it must be an advertising and sales thing. not a processor thing.

its a waste of time. an advertising gimik. they provide nothing new.
        the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

I would do a benchmark of them, if ibm wants to send me a sample laptop, that would be very nice of them.

Comment

Originally posted by ck3k
            I would do a benchmark of them, if ibm wants to send me a sample laptop, that would be very nice of them.

From the propaganda files...Intel benchmarked Centrino and P4 a while back:

http://www.intel.com/performance/res...logy/index.htm
            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

I suppose I can see now how it can be a little pointless, however I do like the under-cover design and the battery life on it, maybe when 11.g's become more of the norm in wireless they could be usefull... However that also brings up the aspect:
              What if the antenna or something small breaks?
              Will the computer still be useful?
              Will the PC-CARD slot be able to handle Wi-Fi technology if such a problem actually does happen, or is the computer rendered useless to all but wired-net acess?

Those are the worries that have come across my mind in looking at purchasing a new computer, simple fact is that a wi-fi card breaks - buy a new one... maybe with the Centrino Processors if something breaks.... thats it....

IcEbLAze
              Watch me fucking regress

Slayer - Payback

Comment

Just a FYI,

I have had some connection troubles directly related to the Centrino and VPN's.

Thought you might be interested.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,59050,00.html

Comment

I thought Centrino was a designation the entire PC got when all its parts met a certai standard. You can change out your NIC to another brand and keep everything else and it is no longer a Centrino.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                    I thought Centrino was a designation the entire PC got when all its parts met a certai standard. You can change out your NIC to another brand and keep everything else and it is no longer a Centrino.
                    I thought the same thing, but decided to stay out of this one because I have not really used a pc in a while and have not done any research on the centrino since it came out, but I belive it is the processor, chipset, and internal wireless card that make centrino.
                    If there is a Church of WiFi, then this is it's !

Comment

Centrino == MMX

Back in the days of the emergence of PI processor, Intel had decided to make the MMX technology. One will be hard pressed to find any technical information or specifications for MMX.

At least AMD had given proper technical information and specifications about 3D Now.

Centrino is nothing more than another marketing ploy. If MMX that consists of three letters worked the first time, then certainly this Centrino which is a whole word should work better!

If i owned one of these wonderful gems, I would want my money back as i can't connect to the internet while driving in my car everywhere or on the driving range. Or the fact that i can never find any desks in any of the places that the commercial shows desks at.

More than wireless and pure processing power, I need a laptop that gives me enough power for what I need to do and superior battery life.

That's what I'd like to see but i get marketing instead.

Comment

Yup, I am sure it is a marketing ploy, like MMX. No offense intended, but who the heck came up with the name Centrino? Sounds like a 100 year old Spaniard.

Comment

Knock off the "O", and intel is trying to give us urinary infections through the use of wifi...

Centrin
                          This drug combination has proved to be an effective therapeutic agent with broad-spectrum antibacterial activity against both gram-positive and gram-negative organisms. It is effective in the treatment of many infections, including Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in AIDS, but is the drug of choice for urinary infection.
                          Im just here to lurk around till i find something interesting. - Sleep is for the weak.

Comment

Originally posted by GidGreen
                            Knock off the "O", and intel is trying to give us urinary infections through the use of wifi...
                            And the fact I trust you to help run dc707.....:D

Comment

Ya - after the release that intel admitted to vpn and dns issues in the chipsets and from the expierences Mattrix and I had - a chip+integrated wifi card+antenna doesn't make much difference - except if you want to go the undercover route... but you gotta figure that these are still in there first year, I've played with one shortly after I made this post on a lady's computer I was servicing - and the dell she bought with this chipset couldn't even detect the hardware was there, and alot of routers won't even support it, infact the only router I've seen support centrino is the lynksys a+g model...

I just hope that next years chipsets actually WORK and do something to make amends for those who bought there crappy first-year chipsets ~_~

EDIT: Just remembered, this lady ended up having to purchase a Netgear G card on top of the GODLY centrino after discovering nothing could be done with the 1,300 she shell'd out for the "complete wireless computer"
                              Last edited by IcEbLAze; November 21, 2003, 12:25.
                              Watch me fucking regress

Slayer - Payback

Comment

Working...
                              X