tracking IP adresses to specific location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tracking IP adresses to specific location

new to the site and i read the rules and tried searching for info through the archives and couldn't find anything on it. I have a website and have people posting on a message board similar to this one and i have people posting stuff over and over and creating new accounts just to annoy me. I downloaded a program called Neo Trace to try to find out who these annonymous post bandits were and alls it gave me was the registered domains of the persons ISP. Where do i look to find someone's IP adress to track to ban and or find out their IP adress using their MSN AOL ICQ etc or registered email accounts.
    links to info would be nice

Allyourbasestillbelongtome

well, if its a web based forum, check your web logs. You should have the IP or hostname in there. If you are trying to translate the hostname back to an ip, just run nslookup on it. To get further info as to who owns the IP block you can always run it through one of the registries like

arin.net for North American IPs or ripe.net for european IPs and apnic.net for asian/pacific IPs

Not sure where the IP is located? well, luckily if you run it through arin and it cant answer your question, it will tell you which registry can. Hope this helps

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Allyourbase:

Is the message Board you are using similar to this or exactly like this? Are you using vBulletin or something else?

If you can tell us the your software, I am sure we can tell you how to find there IP address and or Ban it. As for Finding out who they are, you mean you want to find out the IP address right? Not like their name and where they live, etc..

If you can clarify those points for me, I will try to assist you.

Comment

I am learning the phpbb system right now, It is quite easy to ban and delate users, if ya need any help with that type of board I think I can help.
        ~:CK:~
        I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

using Proboards to host the message board

also wondering if it is possible to compare ip adresses of someone who is logged on to a messenger service with the IP addresses of someone posting unwanted messages. A program to check would be nice. And name of user is not necessary just location if possible

thx
          allyourbasestillbelongtome

Comment

ProBoards hosts my board

ProBoards hosts my message boards for those who asked had to check. But the message board is on my site if it matters or not

Comment

Originally posted by Allyourbase
              ProBoards hosts my message boards for those who asked had to check. But the message board is on my site if it matters or not

Your first stop should have been at the proboards forums. After reading for about 5 minutes I found the answer to your question.

I am a bit confused though. What are you hoping to do exactly? Once your Ban their IP address(es) then you should be done. I don't understand why you need to find them in relation to their Messaging Client, ect...

Comment

sounds like a bit of SEing going on to me but that is just my opinion.
                If there is a Church of WiFi, then this is it's !

Comment

Originally posted by kree
                  sounds like...
                  Sounds like someone just wants to get an IP from a chat conversation, but what do I know...
                  Virtutis gloria merces

Comment

/me ponders allyourbase' intent...

I agree with ripshy

/me goes back to lurking
                    Ich Will...
                    Du Hast....
                    Spiel Mit Mir...

Comment

intent

Its a local website for my little brothers band i setup for him its a registered domain. I admit i really don't know much about computers/internet but more than the average person. The reason I was questioning the messenger issue was because its very local and i was just wondering if it would be possible to find out the name of the person. Is it legal or not to do so or possible i also ask. a rival band (or so suspected) was smack talkin them on the boards and assaulting them via messenger. sorry if i misled you. Once again any info would be appreciated.
                      allyourbase

email to iwantsometeketos@hotmail.com

Comment

Its a local...
                        Finally, true truth. For my information, what would you have done if you tracked him down? My best advice would to be contact local law enforcement, if it is serious. They will most likely bitch about it, but be persistant and make them file a report, regardless if they say nothing can be done.
                        Virtutis gloria merces

Comment

I agree. My mom once had a problem with someone on the internet and did not know what to do, so I advised her to save all the emails and report to the local police, needless to say it worked. Copy their threats off the message board and keep a log.
                          If there is a Church of WiFi, then this is it's !

Comment

Its a local website for my little brothers band i setup for him its a registered domain. I admit i really don't know much about computers/internet but more than the average person.
                            Perhaps you know more about "computers and the internet" then the average person. But you surely haven't read the forums enough to understand that people on here dislike being misled. When you posed the question you didn't let onto your alterior motive, so why should anyone help you?

The reason I was questioning the messenger issue was because its very local and i was just wondering if it would be possible to find out the name of the person.
                            Technically it is possible. Very few things are "impossible". Is it probable that someone on here would help you figure it out? No. And once again I will reiterate my earlier sentiments: "Why should anyone help you?"

a rival band (or so suspected) was smack talkin them on the boards and assaulting them via messenger.
                            Smack talking? Big deal. If you run the boards, and don't want "smack" talking done. Then just delete said posts. There is plent of "smack" talking done on these boards.

As for being "assaulted" via some messenger client. My suggestion would be to block that person. I've actually seen some cases where people have said stuff to eachother online (mostly teenage boys) and it has turned into physical altercations where people get their "boys" to come and help them go after that person. If this is the case: GET A FUCKING LIFE.

sorry if i misled you. Once again any info would be appreciated.
                            allyourbase
                            Atleast say it like it is: You're not sorry for misleading us, your sorry for getting called on it and getting caught. You would have been quite content if we told you all the information you needed to know and wouldn't have had a second thought about misleading anyone on this forum.

And Once again: "Why should anyone help you"?

Comment

if someone is talking about you there is no reason to get mad.

1. if what they say is true, there is no reason to get mad, its the truth, you just have to learn to deal with the truth.

2. if what they say is a lie, then there is no reason to get mad, ah its a lie.

this over a fuckin band?
                              god now we got click kiddies on the block coming here.

dude why dont you walk up and confront them about it in person, if the chumps say it wasnt them doing it then you know you have nothing to worry about.
                              if they do admit doing it well do what you have to do.
                              "so many books, so little time"

Comment

Working...
                              X