Wireless ghosts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless ghosts....

hey there... I'm new to these forums, and only found my way here because I've been interested in Defcon for years now... and finally did a search to see what I could see.... I consider myself to be fairly new when it comes to the world of networking and security, as I've spent most of my existance on this planet as a coder... if you count basic (many different versions of it) as a programming language that is... forgive me, I've found alot of bigotry online when I talk about my computer experience... it seems that after over 10 years of computer experience, I'm still considered a noob.... mostly because I still use winblows, haven't had the time to learn much about linux, and don't chat on IRC.... not that I really care to be suppoting M$ or want to be subject to the security holes inherent in their software.....

but anyway yah.... introductions aside.... I thought someone on these forums might have some insight to an interesting phenominon that I've been experiencing since I got my shiny new laptop for college.... I've been calling them "ghost networks"..... a few weeks ago, I used my wireless card to create an ad hoc connection with a friend..... it did't work properly... which doesn't surprise me, considering I had no idea what I was doing.... but what was interesting was the fact that I removed the connection settings from my computer, and I've been noticing the network I created on occasion..... now, obviously I'm not hosting it, because my laptop is the one trying to connect to it..... but what I was wondering is why it still exists..... I removed it from my machine and it keeps recurring... in the same area of the college I was in too.... I thought that perhaps someone had connected to me and windows XP (*shudder*) automatically kept it as a default network on their machine.... then someone else conected to them and the same thing happened, and so on and so forth...... spreading almost virally throughout the wireless system....

now maybe this is just my imagination running away with me, but it truly seems to be occurring.... and a friend recently tried the same thing I did.... and there's been another ghost floating around since.... my question to you is, has anyone else experienced such a phenomenon with this technology, or is it just me??
    do {
    code(shittysoftware);
    if rand()%365 ==13 {
    goto sleep;}
    } while (hell != frozen);

I'll be nice, since I recently re-read rules ...

Read this

It's not bigotry if you haven't figured out your OS of choice after 10 years.

Comment

So to sum it up, you had an ad-hoc, windows xp which is by default set to associate with anything spiting out a ssid, auto connected to your once made ad-hoc network, those starting another ad-hoc when attempting to regain a wireless connection to its defualt, It isnt the standard itself it is the bastardized windows xp wireless client.
      ~:CK:~
      I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

All except for the fact that I've changed the "Networks to access" seting from "Any available network (access points prefered)" to "Access point (infrastructure) networks only" ..... which I'm assuming, in my finite wisdom, means that I'm no longer able to connect to ad hoc networks (without first changing that setting back, of course)...... so, considering the fact that the "ghosts" are still popping up, I'd assume that somehow they've no longer ad hoc connections..... they're now aparently APs..... which is the part that's seriously confusing me now that I think about it....
        do {
        code(shittysoftware);
        if rand()%365 ==13 {
        goto sleep;}
        } while (hell != frozen);

Comment

Originally posted by BYTE-Smasher
          I'd assume that somehow they've no longer ad hoc connections..... they're now aparently APs..... which is the part that's seriously confusing me now that I think about it....
          I could be wrong, it seems to me however that they never were ad-hoc connections, that they've always been AP's.... Wherever you are - a college dorm room or your buddies house, it sounds like theres a leaky AP somewhere - or your just in a "hot spot" where your picking up waves all over trying to conect....
          When you draw first blood you can't stop this fight
          For my own piece of mind - I'm going to
          Tear your fucking eyes out
          Rip your fucking flesh off
          Beat you till you're just a fucking lifeless carcass
          Fuck you and your progress
          Watch me fucking regress
          You were meant to take the fall - now you're nothing
          Payback's a bitch motherfucker!

Slayer - Payback

Comment

Working...