linux and comcast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linux and comcast?

Alright, supposedly the Linux OS doesn't work with comcast cable internet. Does anyone know if it does, thats what the dumb comcast people say and I searched for it on google and some people got it working. If it does work how would I go about doing it if I'm running Redhat 9. Thanks

Originally posted by avsniperman
    Alright, supposedly the Linux OS doesn't work with comcast cable internet. Does anyone know if it does, thats what the dumb comcast people say and I searched for it on google and some people got it working. If it does work how would I go about doing it if I'm running Redhat 9. Thanks

Linux works fine....what Comcast means is that they won't provide support for it. In other words, if you have connection problems, they are gonna try to troubleshoot them by stepping you through Windows config options (winipcfg, network properties etc).

The same is true for home routers etc. Just don't ask them to support them/troubleshoot them and you are fine.
    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Ok, thats what I thought. What about making it work though, how do I go about doing that. I have yet to install Redhat. I just finised downloading iso2 and am moving on to three. Does anyone know how I would get it to work?

Comment

Ok, thats what I thought. What about making it work though, how do I go about doing that. I have yet to install Redhat. I just finised downloading iso2 and am moving on to three. Does anyone know how I would get it to work?
        Step one: Throw the Red Hat disk away.
        Step two: Get a distro that will provide patches after April.
        Step three: Install it.
        Step four: Set your network adapter to DHCP.
        Step five: Plug cable from wall to cable modem
        Step six: Connect CAT5 from cable modem to network card.
        Step seven: Power up.

This is twice in 3 days I have been spoon-feed boy. Not sure why, but don't expect it to ever happen again.

Comment

so basically you are saying don't run redhat, run something else

well than what

Comment

well than what

http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=2778

Comment

Heh, reminds me of the AT&T install questionaire...

"What type of processor does your computer have, Pentium, Pentium II, or Pentium III?"

"Umm, UltraSPARC?"

"Ultrawhat?"

"Urmm, Pentium III"

"Okay, what operating system does your computer have, Windows 98, Windows ME, or Windows 2000?"

"Umm, OpenBSD?"

"Huh?"

"Just put Windows 2000"

"Okay!"
              45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
              45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
              [ redacted ]

Comment

pacbell tech support sucked, they asked me what i run, I siad the word linux and the outsourced tech on the other end must have had a heart attack. There service droped, and for some reason they wanted me to leave on my computer while they tryed to ping the dsl modem, it is great service once you do away with that POS sbc/yahoo crap.
                ~:CK:~
                I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

www.slackware.com
                  The penguin is watching.
                  "The DefCon forums dont reward knowledge, but punish iggnorance." -Noid

Comment

well than what
                    Well then what? Did you not bother to read the rest of what he said? Incase you missed it, I pasted it below:

Originally posted by Chris
                    Step one: Throw the Red Hat disk away.
                    Step two: Get a distro that will provide patches after April.
                    Step three: Install it.
                    Step four: Set your network adapter to DHCP.
                    Step five: Plug cable from wall to cable modem
                    Step six: Connect CAT5 from cable modem to network card.
                    Step seven: Power up.

This is twice in 3 days I have been spoon-feed boy. Not sure why, but don't expect it to ever happen again.

Comment

well than what
                      To be specific, if you're looking for a redhat-like distro, I would recommend Mandrake. Easy install, lots of help on Google, good GUI package management (at least when Mandrake Control Center is working properly). Might as well get version 9.2. It isn't susceptible to the recent local escalation exploit.

OK, now I'm ready for the probably much deserved abuse re: not using Slackware or Debian.... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by bascule
                        Heh, reminds me of the AT&T install questionaire...
                        Heh, in my case, it was BeOS with the Window Decor set to Windows 95. After the installer (who was absolutely insistent that he HAD to configure my machine for me) finished core dumping over that, I told him to go ahead and 'just set up the Mac'. Of course, the SE/30 was running MkLinux...

Poor guy probably wasn't the same ever again.

Comment

One cable monkey I got was confused by a machine running Mac OS 9 and another machine running Windows NT 4.0. He thought "macs couldn't get fast internet" and had never head of NT 4. He also argued that the cable modem was a "modem" and not a network bridge.

But not all comcast techs are idiots, one guy I got was really cool, obviously just some poor out of work IT guy who'd picked up a job with Comcast.
                          "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by jesse
                            One cable monkey I got was confused by a machine running Mac OS 9 and another machine running Windows NT 4.0. He thought "macs couldn't get fast internet" and had never head of NT 4. He also argued that the cable modem was a "modem" and not a network bridge.

But not all comcast techs are idiots, one guy I got was really cool, obviously just some poor out of work IT guy who'd picked up a job with Comcast.

I used try to be as confusing as possible if I had to call tech support. Threw out as many acronyms as possible, even if they didn't apply to the situation at hand. That usually confused the tech support guy to the point that he escalated it to second level support.

The second level support guys are usually pretty good. They will sit there and laugh at the phone guys with you. The second level guy that I was dealing with (it was an unterminated outdoor connection that was causing signal leak in case you were curious) gave me his direct number so that I could bypass the phone guys. They will usually only do this once they know that you aren't a moron. They also usually don't care what OS you are running. They don't step you through it "Go to start blah blah blah." They assume you understand how to manipulate the OS you are using and just tell you what needs to be done.

Comment

Working...
                            X