Why you shouldn't hotlink images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you shouldn't hotlink images

Going through my logs, i noticed that 6% of my bandwidth seemed to be going to a single site, a crappy forum devoted to fans of the NBA. I poked around and found that one image i had on my host was being hotlinked not by just that NBA forum, but a couple other crappy forums and few personal webpages.

So, after a few minutes in photoshop, i worked up a nice replacement and replaced the linked image with it.

hilarity ensues:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/profile...rofile&u=12813

These two geniuses also hot linked to it:

http://members.blackplanet.com/audius
    http://members.blackplanet.com/ma_bleek/

(uh yeah, the links aren't work safe, in case you haven't guessed it)

Is there any other image rewrite solutions other than .htaccess? with .htaccess i've found i can allow specific urls and redirect everything else but not allow most anything and rewrite a list of specific urls. Or maybe i'm a tard.
    "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Muhahaha, now that is funny
    ~:CK:~
    I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse
      Going through my logs, i noticed that 6% of my bandwidth seemed to be going to a single site, a crappy forum devoted to fans of the NBA. I poked around and found that one image i had on my host was being hotlinked not by just that NBA forum, but a couple other crappy forums and few personal webpages.

So, after a few minutes in photoshop, i worked up a nice replacement and replaced the linked image with it.

hilarity ensues:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/profile...rofile&u=12813

These two geniuses also hot linked to it:

http://members.blackplanet.com/audius
      http://members.blackplanet.com/ma_bleek/

(uh yeah, the links aren't work safe, in case you haven't guessed it)

Is there any other image rewrite solutions other than .htaccess? with .htaccess i've found i can allow specific urls and redirect everything else but not allow most anything and rewrite a list of specific urls. Or maybe i'm a tard.
      What was the original image?

Comment

Damn you, Jesse!

You just made me laugh so hard I shot hot coffee out of my nose!

That is the hardest I have laughed in weeks.. the jackass on the last link still has the picture on his site!

It seems the thread on the nba site has been pulled.. damn

Props to ya, that is an instant classic.
        Last edited by Gadsden; December 16, 2003, 14:52.
        Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I constantly have people trying to hardlink to the 'chick with the gun' on the la2600 page, so I roll the image to goatse every few months. However, if you dont mind, I'd like to start using your graphic..it says what needs to be said AND has a little goatse action.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid
            This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I constantly have people trying to hardlink to the 'chick with the gun' on the la2600 page, so I roll the image to goatse every few months. However, if you dont mind, I'd like to start using your graphic..it says what needs to be said AND has a little goatse action.
            Heh.. just don't hardlink to it! :p

Jessie: if ya don't mind, I am going to shrink it to a more viewabe size and keep it handy as well.. just in case..
            Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

I still prefer fails.jpeg, just be warned that clicking that link may have adverse effects on your system's stability.
              45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
              45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
              [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by bascule
                I still prefer fails.jpeg, just be warned that clicking that link may have adverse effects on your system's stability.
                Thar really toasted Mozilla on my XP machine, but Camino on my Mac didn't even flinch. The page source for that site has to be the most entertaining source I ever read.
                Liberty not only means that the individual has both the opportunity and the burden of choice;
                it also means that he must bear the consequences of his actions.
                Liberty and responsibility are inseparable.

- Friedrich Hayek

Comment

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I constantly have people trying to hardlink to the 'chick with the gun' on the la2600 page, so I roll the image to goatse every few months.
                  For anyone who may be wondering, here's a sample. Warning: THIS IS NOT SAFE FOR WORK.

http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/WarUnix/

- skroo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.White
                    Thar really toasted Mozilla on my XP machine, but Camino on my Mac didn't even flinch.
                    Odd... Mozilla on the (fully-patched) 2000 Pro box I'm on now just displayed a big grey rectangle and sat there looking bored at me. Nothing bit the big green weenie, though.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
                      Odd... Mozilla on the (fully-patched) 2000 Pro box I'm on now just displayed a big grey rectangle and sat there looking bored at me. Nothing bit the big green weenie, though.
                      It really depends on whether your system has the resources to process and display a 9999x9999 pixel JPEG. The real advantage of fails.jpeg is that it's only 961 bytes long but will still be processed and displayed by the majority of JPEG implementations out there.
                      [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by skroo

Mozilla 1.5 AND Firebird both choked and froze on my fully patched XP Pro laptop. vieeerd.
                        Liberty not only means that the individual has both the opportunity and the burden of choice;
                        it also means that he must bear the consequences of his actions.
                        Liberty and responsibility are inseparable.

- Friedrich Hayek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.White
                          Mozilla 1.5 AND Firebird both choked and froze on my fully patched XP Pro laptop. vieeerd.
                          On my 2.4GHz desktop both IE and Opera process and display it within a few seconds (Opera is done almost instantly). However, on my 500MHz K6-2 here at work I basically have to kill -9 the Opera process in order to make the system usable again.

Yes, I should really jack myself one of those nice 1GHz PIII Dells we have floating around when one becomes available again.
                          [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
                            What was the original image?
                            a stupid animated gif of two asian guys kung fu fighting
                            "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

knock yourself out man, anyone with bandwidth thieves can use it.

Comment

Working...
                              X