Oddly placed warning sign.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddly placed warning sign.

This does not fall into the category of computer security, but maybe some of you phreaks out there may have a word on this subject. I was recently passing through a local highschool and noticed a new chainlinked enclosure with the sign:

NO TRESPASSING
    OPERATIONS LICENCED BY
    THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT

--
    --
    Persons vandalizing this facility
    will be prosecuted under federal,
    state and local laws.

UNITED STATES CELLULAR
    800-XXX-XXXX

---

Why would this be at a highschool? Just curious ;) I have searched the web for any information pertaining to this and have only came up with maybe they have an antenna on school grounds? Just thought it was kinda odd...
    DC541 - (linuxscripto) contact linuxscripto@hotmail.com

Originally posted by indicanblend
    I was recently passing through a local highschool and noticed a new chainlinked enclosure with the sign:
    (snip)

It's either a cell tower or a power generation / handover site (the exact name escapes me currently). I used to work in a building with both a Nextel and PacBell Mobile Services site on the roof, and similar warnings were plastered on the buildings up there. These are actually pretty common.

"Operations licensed by the Federal government" just means that they're registered with the FCC, as are all permanently-located cell carriers (temporary cell sites such as the ones usually found at things like sporting events, concerts, etc. to increase capacity for a day or two usually aren't, though they're meant to be).

As for it being at the high school... There's a lot of money to be made leasing grounds or rooftops to cell companies. It's probably an attempt at curbing underruns in the education budget.

Comment

Any English majors out here? If you read closely, since there is no punctuation you can assume this:

NO TRESPASSING OPERATIONS (are) LICENCED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT

Changes things. Sort of like telling the judge you parked in the no parking zone because the sign said "Fine for Parking here" and since it was fine, you did it. :>

Comment

Reminds me of the various (internment camp) sites around the state I've found.

East side of Sac
        I 5 somewhere south of bay area but before kettleman city.

Huge 12ft chainlink fences, with teh razrwire facing inside, as to keep something inside. Nothing on the land for at least 2 miles from the fence, if anything.

Every 30 feet or so on the fence there's a small sign about federal property, no tresspassing or you'll be shot, etc.

Keep an eye out for them if you're road tripping in the middle of BFE.
        --Shatter

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
        - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
          Any English majors out here? If you read closely, since there is no punctuation you can assume this:

NO TRESPASSING OPERATIONS (are) LICENCED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
          Works both ways, though. My interpretation is, 'No tresspassing (CR, comma, or semicolon) Operations (are) licensed by the Federal government'.

Changes things. Sort of like telling the judge you parked in the no parking zone because the sign said "Fine for Parking here" and since it was fine, you did it. :>
          Yah, it's a grey area. Still, though, you can find the 'No Trespassing' boilerplate out in national parks, and there's a lot of stuff that's non-government but federally-licensed.

Comment

Working...
          X