Hard Drive Wipe Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive Wipe Tool

I have a couple of hard drives that I need to wipe to government standards. Are there any tools available that fit on a bootable floppy or bootable CD?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't know this to be fact, but my instructor at school said that the only way to totally destroy information on a harddrive is to totally destroy the harddisk surface, then the disks themselves.
    There are tons of utilities out there that will write to the disk, but he says that most information could still be recovered.
    Try searching Google.
    Good luck!

Comment

Wipe Tool.

Thanks all. I think I found a solution.

I can boot using the Knoppix STD CD and then use the Wipe tool to wipe clean the drives on the system, thereby allowing the system to be reused in a different area.

Thanks again!!

Chuck

Comment

Fdisk ?

This may sound a bit stupid but what about Fdisk the old ms-dos tool, i supose if u fdisk the hard drives and repartition them theire won't be mutch left
        First i kill u, then...

Comment

fdisk deletes the partition, bit not the data in it. The disk can still be read bit by bit.

Comment

ya, fdisking a drive dosent do shit to remove the data. Your options are to destroy the data like this. Or to wipe the disk. When your friend said data could be recovered from a wiped drive he was probably refering to Trace Magnetic Analysis. Unless you're worried about the NSA or the KGB getting into your stuff, this probably doesn't affect your life, and if it does you have bigger things to worry about. The knoppix live cd is a good way to kill data. I'm personaly partial to Eraser myself. Just make the boot disk of death and you're good to go.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Eraser is good, open source, and really customizable. Also you should really look into something called auto clave. Eraser can only do so much . It will not write to the locked file clusters that many OSs boot with, auto clave is bootable so you can get around that. Also I suggest not using any standards if your in need of secrecy, try doing a bit more then what is called for.

haven't had any experiecne with the doom disk eraser generates.

autoclave come prepakaged on UBC
              The world is full of liars, and that is the truth.My curiosity will keep me alive, until it kills me.

Comment

Originally posted by noid
                Your options are to destroy the data like this. Or to wipe the disk.
                Factoid:

Many embassies have big vats sulphuric acid just for this purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by murakami
                  Factoid:

Many embassies have big vats sulphuric acid just for this purpose.
                  Sulfuric acid. A product and process of of breaking down copper ore. I see big vats of this stuff everyday in the mine I dump at.
                  If there is a Church of WiFi, then this is it's !

Comment

The military has these big paper shredder looking things that will reduce a HD (or anything for that matter) to buckshot sized chunks in a matter of seconds. I want one of these for my house. I bet GSA has 'em somewhere.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

The military has these big paper shredder looking things that will reduce a HD (or anything for that matter) to buckshot sized chunks in a matter of seconds. I want one of these for my house. I bet GSA has 'em somewhere.
                      Same thing Saddam used on people. Iraqi surplus, get 'em while they're hot. I know where Uncle Ira will be going this Spring!

Comment

A lot of those are retrofitted paper disintegrators, as a result they are a bit cranky and not reliable as a vat of acid. Besides, acid also works on organic materials that you want to get rid of.

Comment

Originally posted by 0versight
                          its easier to just open it up with a hammer and shatter it, or you can torch it with those cheap torches from your average hardware store.

huh? What?

Somebody call?
                          --Shatter

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
                          - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

MC Hammer? where?
                            "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Shatter
                              huh? What?

Somebody call?

<mungo voice>
                              Shatter not name. Shatter job
                              </mungo voice>

Comment

Working...
                              X