early detection unit e.d.u.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• early detection unit e.d.u.

Is there a program I can download or buy that will tell me if my port is open or if my computer is being hacked or is already hacked , that can also tell me when and where with a blocking device that will deny them access to my machine with a prompt or a command script which will shutdown my computer or make their computer think I am offline.

-the e.d.u.-
    *ladada
    defcon 99

on a side note

on a side note what are the rules and qualifications for capture the flage only answer what you can please. thankyou.
    defcon 99

Comment

Originally posted by ladada
      Is there a program I can download or buy that will tell me if my port is open or if my computer is being hacked or is already hacked ,
      I'm assuming you're a Windows user. Get Norton's Norton Internet Security suite, install it, and keep it up-to-date.

Further, patching your machine regularly (I'd advise checking weekly) through Windows Update will go a long way towards preventing problems.

Also run AdAware and SpyBot routinely to check your machine for malware. Use both; each catches things the other doesn't, and make sure to (again) keep them up to date.

that can also tell me when and where with a blocking device that will deny them access to my machine with a prompt or a command script which will shutdown my computer or make their computer think I am offline.
      If your machine were to shut down every time the software thought it saw an attack, you would never be able to connect it to the Internet.
      Last edited by skroo; January 14, 2004, 13:13.

Comment

Skroo is correct..

However I myself wouldn't use Norton Junk.....

There are ase personal firewalls. Two that I can remember are:

1. BlackIce
        2. Kerio Personal Firewall

I don't use them cause I have a network to FW so I just use
        the main FW prog. for the entire Network.
        Stupid people should have to wear signs that just say, "I'm Stupid." That way you wouldn't rely on them, would you? You wouldn't ask them anything. It would be like, "Excuse me...oops...never mind, I didn't see your sign.

Comment

I have had personal experiences with norton's internet pack, and it is fair rated, I think it can get kinda overbering but still works for the common user, also make sure to run a spyware removal program.
          ~:CK:~
          I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

If you are using linux I would suggest http://www.snort.org/ do monitor incoming connections
            The penguin is watching.
            "The DefCon forums dont reward knowledge, but punish iggnorance." -Noid

Comment

Snorts a good idea, but be careful which machine you run it on. Snort can fill up systems rather quick. I had two snort boxes go 'tango-uniform' on me the other day because they couldnt handle the traffic I was throwing past them. As far as what this person is looking for, there isnt one magical box that can protect your network. You can deploy network firewalls, you can deploy IDS (like snort), you can run local firewalls like zone alarm. Overall, to run the quote into the ground 'security is a process, not a product'. Continualy evaluate and reassess your needs.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

thankyou all very much for the help , I have downloaded the norton trial version of the nortons security pack.
                thankyou all I really needed the help .

also I am currently writing a program useing linux code for my windows (capeable) to help video game modders E.G. takes file types .mp2m .lvl2 .lbd etc.... and allows the user to view it then mod it and then save it as something else..))
                so far it does not do much but it will be updated redesigned and redone totally , it will only be put on a geocities site for download when it is complete and ttally designed.

also .
                free lamo
                defcon 99

Comment

Originally posted by ladada
                  Is there a program I can download or buy that will tell me if my port is open or if my computer is being hacked or is already hacked , that can also tell me when and where with a blocking device that will deny them access to my machine with a prompt or a command script which will shutdown my computer or make their computer think I am offline.

-the e.d.u.-
                  *ladada
                  Unfortunately that sounds fairly dumb. I can't wait to see the fruits of your software endeavor.
                  Regardless, TCPView is a small (37KB) and free application that will show you what applications are using what sockets, what state they are in, and allow you to manually disconnect socket threads. I doubt you want your computer to shutdown.

Comment

Working...
                  X