Mandrake 9.2 on Sager Notebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandrake 9.2 on Sager Notebook

Ok, I have just downloaded three disks of Mandrake. Cd 1-3 of the ISOs. I have a notebook, a Sager 5660 running windows XP Pro. I am planning on Dual booting XP and Mandrake. XP is currently already installed. My question is, when I look if my computer is complient with Linux, because it's a notebook, I see that a few models of Sager notebooks work, but I do not see the exact model I have. It doesn't say mine doesn't work, so should I assume mine will?

If yes, I have been researching the steps to put Mandrake on my computer already, can anyone tell me if I am on the right track.

- Burn the ISO image onto a CD.
    - Use Fdisk to partition my already installed Windows. I have 40 gigs so I am thinking keep 30 for windows and devote 10 to Linux, for now.
    -Once the partition is made, I am ready to install Linux on the new partition.

I have been reading of a "boot disk" that I might need on a floppy. What exactly is this for and when do I need to use it?

I am going this weekend to the bookstore to purchase my Linux book so hopfully many of these questions will be answered, but I thought I would ask here and see what help I can get.

Thanks for any help.

I suggest heading over to www.linuxquestions.org, for this is not the perfect place for such things...
    ~:CK:~
    I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmbaldy
      I am going this weekend to the bookstore to purchase my Linux book so hopfully many of these questions will be answered, but I thought I would ask here and see what help I can get.
      I suggest getting O'Reilly Running Linux 4th Edition.
      You're either on my side or else you're in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmbaldy
        - Use Fdisk to partition my already installed Windows. I have 40 gigs so I am thinking keep 30 for windows and devote 10 to Linux, for now.
        DO NOT use fdisk to resize your existing Windows partition; you'll lose everything currently installed on it. Much better would be to get Partition Magic (or similar) and use that. It can resize partitions while keeping the data on them intact.

Everything else is pretty much spot-on. I do recommend checking out the links other folks have recommended, though.

Comment

Working...
        X