Newb Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb Question.

Where does windows 98/me keep the log files showing recently accessed ip addresses?

Originally posted by 0versight
    there is no such log i believe
    Yeah... The nearest thing would be the IE History, but I'm not entirely certain that's what you mean.

For future reference: please use Google or similar to research stuff like this before asking.

Comment

then, how is it possible to track ip addresses of people who may of put a trojan on your computer, or tried to compromise your system from any certain exploit? is there any programs that track ip addresses of people who directly connect to your computer?

Comment

Originally posted by Demon Furor
        then, how is it possible to track ip addresses of people who may of put a trojan on your computer, or tried to compromise your system from any certain exploit? is there any programs that track ip addresses of people who directly connect to your computer?
        There is nothing included with the OS by default that logs this information. To have access to this kind of informatoin, a application of sorts would have to be installed on the box (ie. software firewall) and be explicitly configured to capture said information. -or- if there is an upstream device on the network the box sits on that logs traffic information, that devices logs could be reviewed.
        “Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.”

Comment

To have access to this kind of informatoin, a application of sorts would have to be installed on the box (ie. software firewall)
          Sygate firewalls does do some ip logging.

however, all software firewalls are unreliable by nature, a hardware firewall, is a must. Software firewalls themselves can be exploited, so that if someone did place a trojan or gain root to your computer they would be able to delete their tracks. The best thing to do is have hardware firewalls, closed ports, and constantly running spyware/malware detectors/blockers, and ofcourse, up to date anit-virus programs
          If shadows are an abscence of light then,
          shouldn't today's conformist society be
          ONE GREAT SHADOW?

Comment

my satellite modem is supposed to have an onboard firewall... should i just contact direcway and see if it logs ip addresses?

Comment

I can pretty much assure ou that DirecWay will track IP addresses -- whether they tell you what they are or not is a different story.

Comment

heh, when they guy came out to install it he didn't set the default gateway and it kept sending anonymous identd requests when i tried to connect to any kind of intranet or network. no mirc for me :-P

Comment

Originally posted by Demon Furor
                  heh, when they guy came out to install it he didn't set the default gateway and it kept sending anonymous identd requests when i tried to connect to any kind of intranet or network. no mirc for me :-P
                  Random how? identd is 113, and when you connect to an IRC network, if you went into the options, you could have it(identd response) just about anything cept for a few special characters and nothing extending beyond the maxlength of identd accepted by the server. Some servers at that point will just ignore it and let you connect anyway... I would say that is not your problem in the least bit, I would suspect moreso that your ISP had rDNS disabled, and the IRC network thinks you're spoofing, and thus does not allow your connect, or drops you after a very short period - especially if you're on certain Dal or Ef servers which were prone to abuse, and they've since cracked down on.

Quirk-

Comment

Im really not that fammilar with windows but I believe typing in netstat at the prompt will tell you some info on who is currently connected to you, as for logging connections my router does that. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of this.
                    If there is a Church of WiFi, then this is it's !

Comment

Originally posted by kree
                      Im really not that fammilar with windows but I believe typing in netstat at the prompt will tell you some info on who is currently connected to you, as for logging connections my router does that. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

You're dead on, I'd add -an to it as well. If you want a list of ports active/listening/other you can use :

netstat -an > c:\%windowsdefaultfolder%\desktop\ports.txt

as an example - and it will pipe the output from the netstat -an to an easily readable text file if you don't wish to run it in DOS and look at the results, or manually write them down.

Quirk-

Comment

thanks for your replys guys, they helped alot.. especially netstat.

Comment

Working...
                        X