No announcement yet.

Windows 2000 Source Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't call it open source, open source stuff is written by coders who can code, find bugs-not hide them, and not release a hunk of junk software that fails unless perfect conditions are met. From the file sizes of what got released, it's definately not all there unless someone's sitting on it and holding out on the rest of us. I'd much rather deal with an OS I know that works as it should, but I'm sure there's all kinds of funny comments in the code, would almost bet on finding something to the effect of:

// we don't know why this is here, but it compiles so lets leave it

Qu|rk-

Comment

Originally posted by Grifter
      I don't see the use of swear words in the code as any further proof of shortcomings. Honestly, look at some of your own code and tell me that a comment here or there doesn't have a swear or two in them. Does that make you a poor coder? No, it makes you a potty mouth.

They never expected anyone to see it. And even so, I would expect a few to slip through.
      I agree with Grifter, the use of swear words doesn't make the code less professional. After all, the code wasn't hacked or cracked, it was simply stolen, by a common thief. A thief I might add that also stole the victory away from the the hacker who would have eventually mastered the code. It doesn't take intelligence to simply steal...
      I enjoy talking to myself...it's usually the only intelligent conversations I get to have.

Comment

I was just shocked to learn this, If your charging that much for software I want to see some clean stuff, but this was not delievered. MS also trys to have this nice clean image, this was a bit throw off by what appeared in the code. As for what Grifter said, when I do something for public consumption or peer evaluation I try to be as professinal as possible when using comments and I would expect the same from a company who's lifeblood is this piece of software, of course it hasn't been said if this was an early dev. version or was this one of the programmer's that put in all the comments for himself.
        ~:CK:~
        I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

Originally posted by Qu|rk
          Wouldn't call it open source, open source stuff is written by coders who can code
          I'm sorry, but hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ...

find bugs-not hide them, and not release a hunk of junk software that fails unless perfect conditions are met.
          Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha...

Wow, *someone* is looking through rose colored glasses.

I'm sorry, but the majority of "open source stuff" is utter shit. Software engineering mainstays such as unit/regression testing (hoping to get at least 70% branch coverage) is simply not performed on the majority of open source projects, and the actual testing process is usually left up to "the community".

Certainly the mainstay projects aren't like this (and many are seeing unit/regression testing), but try using anything else, especially the pro app knock off projects, and you'll begin to appreciate formal software testing.

jesse was joking... I hope you were too
          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
          [ redacted ]

Comment

Working...
          X