Defcon Atmosphere and Attendee Disposition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defcon Atmosphere and Attendee Disposition

Having never previously attended Defcon, I am curious to the over all atmosphere and disposition of the attendees. While, I have a certain level of knowledge I use in my professional life, I feel the need to grow and learn about other disciplines.

Is Defcon really a place to attend and feel free to ask questions and share knowledge without being bombarded with stupidity or cold shoulder retorts to relevant questions?

I’m laid back, looking for a nice vacation in Las Vegas, and willing to do some learning while there. I just like being around like minded people. ;-)

I’d like to hear some comments from others that made their trip all worth while. Are there any special things to see and events not to miss? I’d like to make my first trip a great experience.

Peace.

Originally posted by gethsemane

I’d like to hear some comments from others that made their trip all worth while. Are there any special things to see and events not to miss? I’d like to make my first trip a great experience.

Peace.

A picture is worth a thousand words: http://www.defconpics.org

Comment

Brings large quantities of alcohol. We're much more cranky when we're sober.
      the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by gethsemane

Peace.
        For me:
        DC9: First time in Vegas.. Saw the talks, then went out on the town all the time.. did not socialize. I learned lots of cool stuff and got to see Vegas.. decent time, but missed the general defcon experiance.

DC10: Came out of my shell a bit, socialized and watched the talks, even hit the town a couple nights. Fucking awesome time.

DC11: Met everyone I could, made lots of great friends, and caught the talks. Could give a shit bout the rest of Vegas. Time of my life.

Moral of the story: Defcon is what you make it. I have never been around a better group of folks. There are a few assholes in the mix, but that is in any crowd. Follow the rules( what few exist), don't be shy, don't be a wanker, and don't bend over in front of Highwiz, and you will have an awesome time and may even learn a few things.
        Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

DC8: First time to Vegas and Defcon. They both rock. I love life.

DC9: Great time but I left Sunday afternoon, lots of folks still here, maybe I need to stay aother day!

DC10: What was that stuff I drank Sunday night at the pool. Am I dead?

DC11: What was that stuff I drank Sunday night at the pool. Am I dead?

Comment

Originally posted by astcell

DC10: What was that stuff I drank Sunday night at the pool. Am I dead?

DC11: What was that stuff I drank Sunday night at the pool. Am I dead?

OK - I'll take the hint!! Stick to drinking my water!!

Comment

Originally posted by blossom
              OK - I'll take the hint!! Stick to drinking my water!!
              By "water" I am sure you mean "beer".

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
                By "water" I am sure you mean "beer".

uhhh... yeah, sure that's what I mean...if you say so - although my preference IS red wine.

I certainly don't mean the poolcon water!! That's for certain!!

Comment

DC2: First time around... too much time looking for who may be looking over my shoulders... a bit paranoide around too much people, and mostly unknown.
                  Love is a Mental Illness

Comment

DC7 - Hit as many talks as possible, did'nt meet many people. Did'nt drink (sad I know)

DC8 - Spent more time meeting people this time. Learned a crapload. Went to most of the talks.

DC9 - Half the time watching talks, half the time partying

DC10 - Wardriving contest, and meeting a crapload of people I knew from the NS forums and other places. A few major talks. Well hung over afterwards

DC11 - Totalled car en route, drank the memory away. Spent most of the weekend in the wardriving contest and others. One talk, Constant partying. Still missing bucket.

I think I've noticed a pattern...

At any rate, con is what you make it. The best advice I can think of is to never bullshit. If you don't know something, admit it. Non-one can know everything. If you try to fake it, and you get caught, all respect has been lost and you'll look like an idiot.
                    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman

At any rate, con is what you make it. The best advice I can think of is to never bullshit. If you don't know something, admit it. Non-one can know everything. If you try to fake it, and you get caught, all respect has been lost and you'll look like an idiot.

Once everyone sees you naked (whether in person or on video) there isn't much else to say.

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
                        Once everyone sees you naked (whether in person or on video) there isn't much else to say.

I think Grifter had a few intersting things to say:

http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.p...ghlight=shower

Related to the original topic: It's worth going just for the stories you'll take home about the goings on. For years friends did'nt believe half the stories I had until a couple of them came with me and saw it themselves.

They all belive me now. They are all increasingly frightened too.
                        Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

DefCon...it's the one time each year when all my friends and most of my enemies are in the same place. You can't beat that with a stick.

I have made more close friends at DefCon that I see once a year than I have at home that I see everyday. Not sure if that means that I can only be tolerated 3 days at a time, or if it means that I enjoy being with folks that think like me...I shall ponder that for a while.
                          perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

I just hung out with the small number of other hippies I could find and we all talked about why everyone was so gothed out
                            45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                            45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                            [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                              DefCon...it's the one time each year when all my friends and most of my enemies are in the same place. You can't beat that with a stick.

I have made more close friends at DefCon that I see once a year than I have at home that I see everyday. Not sure if that means that I can only be tolerated 3 days at a time, or if it means that I enjoy being with folks that think like me...I shall ponder that for a while.

Don't think too hard, you know how that hurts your head

Comment

Working...
                              X