capture the flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• capture the flag

Please excuse my ignorance, How is capture the flag played? I wish to join this year or at least watch and under stand?
    just a newbe w/ skillz

Originally posted by evilcow
    Please excuse my ignorance, How is capture the flag played? I wish to join this year or at least watch and under stand?

The rules change every year. Check the Def Con 12 website from time to time and the rules for this year should be posted at some point. I won't get on GH for not posting them yet...since the WarDriving contest link isn't active yet either :)
    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

I hope this year's is similar to the one last year... does anyone know if the Ghetto Hackers are gonna be running it this year?

If you have NO idea what CTF is, this is last years:
      info:
      http://blogs.23.nu/devconxi/stories/392/
      http://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-11...ctf-teams.html
      a Pic:
      http://www.mccullagh.org/image/10d-9...he-flag-1.html
      My avatar is even a small crop of a picture i took last year....
      I hope that gives you an idea... Enjoi
      The only constant in the universe is change itself

Comment

I'd love to look over the shoulder of one team and watch them in action, I understand how they want their privacy, and I treasure my appendages. Any way this may happen one year?

Comment

There was a presentation given at toorcon about rootfu, more details can be found at: http://www.toorcon.org/slides/rootfu-toorcon.ppt
          Where's the dedication?

Comment

Also, if you'd like to know exactly what goes on during Capture the Flag, A.K.A RootFu you can get all of the packet captures done by the Schmoo Group at...

http://www.shmoo.com/cctf/

Have fun with that.
            .: Grifter :.

Comment

evilcow: Last year there was a pre-con registration event for the teams to compete. 7 teams qualified with the 8th grandfathered in from the previous year.

Basically each team set up a server that was running several services. Each service contained that team's "flag". Points were scored by maintaining your services running with your flag. Points were lost by either not maintaining your services uptime, or having someone else's flag in your services. :)

Some of the teams last time were ok with people hanging around, unless they were getting their services taken regularly. That tends to wear on the nerves. ;)

I had a great time last year, but it took so much time, I didn't have enough time to enjoy the rest of the con. Definitely swing by the room several times just to see how it goes on.

--Aaron
              Aut disce aut discede

Comment

I remember after awhile, people started assembling tape lines on the floor that they didn't want people to cross..
                It seems perfectly logical to me... and i expect to see it this year again probably.
                The only constant in the universe is change itself

Comment

Originally posted by dYn4mic
                  I remember after awhile, people started assembling tape lines on the floor that they didn't want people to cross..
                  It seems perfectly logical to me... and i expect to see it this year again probably.
                  CTF is always kewl to watch and be certain not to get into a teams way while their working.

Its been posted here before, but too bad there isn't like a play-upon-play describing what is going on with CTF.

Any chances of having this?
                  "I am the EPITOME of FRUGALITY, the KING OF CHEAPNESS, the TIGHTEST of the TIGHTWADS, the MASTER-BLASTER of PENNY PINCHING, the BISHOP of UNDER-BUDGETING, the CARDINAL of COST-CUTTING, I AM THE MASTER MISER!!!."

-Jim Sears

Comment

Originally posted by JockVSJock
                    CTF is always kewl to watch and be certain not to get into a teams way while their working.

Its been posted here before, but too bad there isn't like a play-upon-play describing what is going on with CTF.

Any chances of having this?
                    Actually they have. 2 years ago they had a women done up in makeup giving 'blade runner-esque' news updates from time to time. Her closing is what I remember the most, delivered deadpan: 'Thank you for participating and not fucking everything up'

Last yearI think they had a virtual newscaster or something. I did'nt get much chance to check out the feeds as I was in so many contests.

A defcon program guide-to-the-scoring-screen would be a nice addition though. Last year I had not freaking clue who was winning.
                    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Working...
                    X