Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh yeah? well I thought of a better contest.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oh yeah? well I thought of a better contest.

    Creation of the most original homebrewed tcp/ip enabled appliance.

    Code:
    # cat /proc/sys/dev/toaster/info
    
    Toaster information, Id: toast.c 0.16 2004/03/02
    
    device name:                 /dev/toast
    bread:                       Present
    toasting level:              Medium
    Auto Toast Time:             07:30am
    Repeat Schedule:             weekdays
    It could be household/office appliance..a toaster, a coffee pot, a refrigerator, a soda vending machine, a microwave.

    Must include driver, service daemon, and be bound to a port which can be called to access its functions.

    Oh yeah, and it should preferably be something new and original. Sticking a hp jetdirect on a printer and saying you got a tcp/ip enabled printer isn't allowed.
    "Just when I thought I was out.......They pull me back in"
    - Neural's Godfather moment

  • #2
    That's a hell of an idea, and if it ever got added I'd be more than happy to throw a device together that I would enter. Would be a nice challenge to see how many can improve the way things are - with the group being anaytical, I figure some of the devices may be overcomplicated in design just the same. I know for a fact mine would be.

    Qu|rk-

    Comment


    • #3
      that kind of contest would bring back some innovative spirit, I like it :D
      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by converge
        that kind of contest would bring back some innovative spirit, I like it :D
        Okay, let me run this by the powers that be... but I'm certainly interested in pursuing this.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by russ
          Okay, let me run this by the powers that be... but I'm certainly interested in pursuing this.
          If it happens, I'd like to help out with it. It would need to be announced fairly soon to give people the chance to work on a project.

          Other ideas I had was a house mailbox that has a beam of light inside of it. Once the beam is broken with mail the device driver has sox play you-got-mail.wav

          Someone mentioned a wifi enabled coffee machine that starts up when you issue it the command. Ideal if you're usually the first person in the office in the morning and want hot coffee waiting for you when you arrive. :)

          A clock radio updated with ntpd. :)

          SNMP enabled Roomba Floor Vac.

          A TCP/IP enabled Apple II+? Maybe. Maybe not. I guess the main idea is to take something ordinary and give it the ability to be queried or operated on a LAN or the internet.

          I got this idea when I remembered seeing a website ages that had a tcp/ip enabled soda vending machine at some college. You could query it to check how many sodas were left so that you didn't end up walking to the machine only to find out it was out of your soda of choice. Here's one right here
          "Just when I thought I was out.......They pull me back in"
          - Neural's Godfather moment

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Neural
            Creation of the most original homebrewed tcp/ip enabled appliance.
            Ooh, can I build a network attached minigun on a hydraulic mounting?
            45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
            45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
            [ redacted ]

            Comment


            • #7
              I'd like to see a robot that can repair itself.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bascule
                Ooh, can I build a network attached minigun on a hydraulic mounting?
                Bring Bruce willis while your at it.... and don't shoot Jack Black he's cool....
                (if you've seen: The Jackel you'll know what im talking about)
                The only constant in the universe is change itself

                Comment


                • #9
                  Neural: Email me

                  Neural, email me at russ@defcon.org and let's get this going. As you said, we'll need to get the rules up fairly quickly.

                  Originally posted by Neural
                  If it happens, I'd like to help out with it. It would need to be announced fairly soon to give people the chance to work on a project.

                  Other ideas I had was a house mailbox that has a beam of light inside of it. Once the beam is broken with mail the device driver has sox play you-got-mail.wav

                  Someone mentioned a wifi enabled coffee machine that starts up when you issue it the command. Ideal if you're usually the first person in the office in the morning and want hot coffee waiting for you when you arrive. :)

                  A clock radio updated with ntpd. :)

                  SNMP enabled Roomba Floor Vac.

                  A TCP/IP enabled Apple II+? Maybe. Maybe not. I guess the main idea is to take something ordinary and give it the ability to be queried or operated on a LAN or the internet.

                  I got this idea when I remembered seeing a website ages that had a tcp/ip enabled soda vending machine at some college. You could query it to check how many sodas were left so that you didn't end up walking to the machine only to find out it was out of your soda of choice. Here's one right here

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X