WorldWide WarDrive 4 Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WorldWide WarDrive 4 Announced

Announcing the Fourth WorldWide WarDrive (WWWD)

12-19 June, 2004

The WorldWide WarDrive is an effort by security professionals and hobbyists to generate awareness of the need by
    individual users and companies to secure their access points. The goal of the WorldWide WarDrive (or WWWD) is to
    provide a statistical analysis of the many access points that are currently deployed.

We feel that many end users are not aware that the factory or "default" settings on Access Points do not take
    any security measures into account. By providing these statistics we hope that end users will become aware of
    the need to take simple measures to secure their access points.

The WWWD provides a snapshot of the security posture of currently deployed wireless access points throughout the
    world. During the Third WorldWide WarDrive, which took place in July 2003, over 88,000 unique access points
    were discovered worldwide. The statistics compiled for the WWWD have become the defacto standard for statistics
    used by many media outlets and wireless security vendors to further generate public awareness of wireless security
    issues.

The Fourth WorldWide WarDrive will take place 12-19 June 2004. The WorldWide WarDrive has teamed with the
    Wireless Geographic Logging Engine (WiGLE www.wigle.net) to provide real time maps and statistics as data from
    each area is uploaded. This is a departure from past events where statistics and maps were compiled at the
    conclusion of the week long WWWD.

Also in conjunction with the announcement of the Fourth WorldWide
    WarDrive, the Church Of WiFi is proud to announce that an updated version
    of WarKizNiz is available at
    www.michiganwireless.org/tools/WarKizNiz/
    WarKizNiz accepts input from Kismet log files and converts them
    into NetStumbler .ns1 format.

Coordination of drives throughout the world is done at the WorldWide WarDrive Forums located at
    http://www.c2security.org/forums/wwwd/

As in the past, discussions pertaining to the WWWD can also be conducted on the
    WarDriving mailing list
    (http://mailsrv.dis.org/mailman/listinfo/wardriving).

New for WWWD4 is the creation of a mailing list devoted solely to wireless security issues. To join this list,
    hosted by Michigan Wireless go to http://www.michiganwireless.org/lists.html.

For general information about the WorldWide WarDrive visit the WorldWide WarDrive website at
    www.worldwidewardrive.org or the WWWD Frequently Asked Questions document at
    http://www.worldwidewardrive.org/faq.html.

Media persons interested in articles or interviews should email media@worldwidewardrive.org with MEDIA INQUIRY
    in the subject line

Roamer
    roamer@worldwidewardrive.org
    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

I will be talking about the wwwd at the next dc707 meet, we look to have a strong group that is willing to wardrive for a week.
    ~:CK:~
    I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

Whatever happened to the c2security.org site that hosted a wardriving forum?

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
        Whatever happened to the c2security.org site that hosted a wardriving forum?

Coordination of drives throughout the world is done at the WorldWide WarDrive Forums located at
        http://www.c2security.org/forums/wwwd/

Comment

Yeah but that forum hasn't worked for me since about 3 days after it started.
          .: Grifter :.

Comment

I used to go here.

Oh, NOW it works!

Comment

Originally posted by Grifter
              Yeah but that forum hasn't worked for me since about 3 days after it started.

Really? I access it every day. What problems are you having?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                Really? I access it every day. What problems are you having?

"Cannot Find Server"

Comment

Originally posted by Grifter
                  "Cannot Find Server"

Hmm, is it possibly a DNS issue? Does it resolve to 199.236.8.50 for you?

I have never had a problem accessing it, and to my knowledge (I'll have to verify this with Audit) it hasn't been down for any significant period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                    Hmm, is it possibly a DNS issue? Does it resolve to 199.236.8.50 for you?

I have never had a problem accessing it, and to my knowledge (I'll have to verify this with Audit) it hasn't been down for any significant period of time.

Server's been running fine and no issues that I'm aware of. I know that the data center that it's at has been making some changes to their network and that's affected things but that was about a month ago. I've been able to access the site and server from every network that I've been on over the past 55 days that it's been up since the IP change.

Comment

Yup, it's a DNS issue.

Comment

Well as of January 29,2004, the FBI apparently still sees WARCHALKING as a threat, as we see here.

Wow I feel safe. Maybe the RFID tags on snail mail will solve the terrorist troubles too.

Sheesh. Not enough people seem to get drug tested!

Comment

Working...
                        X