Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• huge mp3 court ruling in canada

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/03/31...ad_court040331

the right of a user's privacy has been deemed to be more important than a songwriter's rights..in canada at least.

Hmm, this is like playing the radio so loud that other people can hear it even though they did not buy the CD. This will be interesting to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by phobal
      the right of a user's privacy has been deemed to be more important than a songwriter's rights
      I think songwriters have more to worry about from their labels themselves than from fans pirating their music.

In the words of Bruce Dickinson, lead singer of one of the greatest bands of all time, IRON MAIDEN, "If you like our song but don't go out and buy our album, then we have failed, not you"
      45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
      45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
      [ redacted ]

Comment

the only reason why this ruling was handed down was due to the method of collecting the user's information. what i find suprising, is that the major isp's [shaw and telus] are happy the ruling ended up this way. suprising because from what i have heard in the us, for isps surrendered their client's info. maybe this is because copyright laws in the us are more up to date?

Comment

Court & Gov

Echo says us gov goingto deploy 100% control over the net, personal pc, requiring(making them surrender) the big companies to tunnel the pipe. So sooner pirates freedom m8 goto the corner. :-|
          Its always difficult to make it fair for both sides. This is what gov is doing now.
          MN

Comment

Originally posted by Eegii
            Echo says us gov goingto deploy 100% control over the net, personal pc, requiring(making them surrender) the big companies to tunnel the pipe. So sooner pirates freedom m8 goto the corner. :-|
            Its always difficult to make it fair for both sides. This is what gov is doing now.
            Good Lord. Just what the hell are you trying to say here, exactly?

Comment

"i'm gonna tell you a little secret, joe rogan - I smoke rocks."
              "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

skroo:
                Good Lord. Just what the hell are you trying to say here, exactly?
                [ Just pulling your legs :p ]

neccesity, regulation, understanding . . . :D :D :D

EDIT :
                Did anyone see one middle weight baggage that was serving as a mp3 server(connected to contest network), during last time. Humor humor. :-)
                Last edited by Eegii; July 13, 2004, 23:55.
                MN

Comment

As a Songwriter (an aging songwriter)

Originally posted by phobal
                  http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/03/31...ad_court040331

the right of a user's privacy has been deemed to be more important than a songwriter's rights..in canada at least.
                  As a Songwriter (an aging songwriter) I think all music should be legally obtained. What I am against is this DRM that is encoded into the music file. Now I admit that I am not sure how all of this really works (DRMs), but I think if someone downloads (and pays) for their music , then it should belong completely to them - no strings attached. My son is the one who informed me of the use of DRMs...So I wanting to be an informed parent, downloaded a few music files from Hel Mart (sorry I mean Wal Mart) and was shocked , first that there was a licensing agreement (a few pages), and then what the agreement said!
                  If the Major labels continue this 'Big Brother' process, I think the P2P networks will never be defeated, and I don't blame kids (well not just kids, but anyone) for not wanting (refusing) to sign this 'Homeland Musical Security Agreement'!

Ps...I will be going to DefCon with my son, not because I know anything deep about computers, but I want my son to know.

Comment

song writers, singers and the labels cannot stop people from sharing music. people passed; 78's, then 45's, 8 track/cassettes were next, and then cd's around to their friends. Now the files are digital and they will pass these around as well, they just need to get over it. if it continues down this path we will soon be charged a listening fee at places that play music. Maybe music should be made for the pure joy of it and not looked upon as a high paying job. Most people seem to want to get in to the music industry not because they really love music but because of the money, fame and sex that is part of it. so people make music because you love it and want others to hear it.
                    "so many books, so little time"

Comment

I hope

Originally posted by 0versight
                      I wish my dad was like you when I was younger. Youre doing a good thing by pushing and approving of what he is doing. Some parents think that computers are a waste of time and the truth of the matter is, if your child has a gift in computers then let him/her play with itl.
                      I hope it's a good thing... he's only fifteen and perhaps to young and perhaps I'm a little to old, but still - that's a parent's job.
                      Hey, maybe I'll learn something.

Comment

Originally posted by bascule
                        In the words of Bruce Dickinson...
                        ...I gotta have more COWbell!
                        We own everything so you don't have to!

Comment

Originally posted by 0versight
                          I wish my dad was like you when I was younger. Youre doing a good thing by pushing and approving of what he is doing. Some parents think that computers are a waste of time and the truth of the matter is, if your child has a gift in computers then let him/her play with itl.
                          The only thing my dad did for me was give me some stupid speech.

The year was 1988, and i was 4 years old..

"christopher there's going to be a time in your life when your going to meet a girl and .....[ insert long converstation about sex/girls/drugs/how cute the next door neighbor is here]"

The bad news is i got started into computers about when i was 4, and the doctor just annoced that i'm very close from getting carpal tunnel.

The good news is i save 10% on car insurance by switching to geiko.

I totally agree, lf they love it, let them play. If they hate it, dont force them.

-xchris.
                          -Christopher

Comment

I hated Math-however I was forced to learn it (or at least take classes :) )

Most people will use the computer more than they will ever use algebra, geometry and chemestry. Comclusion: Computer literacy should be put on the same level as reading and mathematics in home and schools.

I wish I would have gotten all my kids enthusiastic about computer when they were little- As it is, I have 3 who are barely functional on a computer, and the 2 youngest who have great interest in computers. In fact, I see my son, Corvus Cyrus, just registered at this site. (He's doing army training in GA right now so I don't get to see or talk to him-but he has time to play online!) :)
                            In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Comment

Hey It is me

Hey This is Bo's son Found her talking and just decided to leave a message. By the way. I make time to work on the computer. I atleast spend over 20 hours to 30 hours since I have been here. Just wasting some time here. Well mom I have to go.
                              :)

Comment

Working...
                              X