gmail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gmail

As I'm sure most of you have heard already or will soon here, Google has launched a mail service:

http://gmail.com/

Google's press release was picked up by a number of news agencies, which include The New York Times, Reuters, CNN, and CNET.

The service's claims of a gigabyte of e-mail storage, and the fact that the press release is dated April 1st, have lead some to speculate that this is all an elaborate April Fools Day joke...

Looks legit to me. If it's an April Fools joke it's certainly a lame one... I'd expect better from Google.
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

Interesting. When I google (small "g" because it's a verb now) "gmail" and "gmail google" I get no results that have anything to do with Google.

The site and ip are pointing to Google's DNS servers, though, and the domain is registered to Google.

Still...sounds too good to be true...if you want to call it good.
    Ya got no legs, don't come crawlin' to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeSchmuck
      Interesting. When I google (small "g" because it's a verb now) "gmail" and "gmail google" I get no results that have anything to do with Google.
      Probably (in the spirit of Google?) they decided not to artifically inflate the search results, and are simply trusting in the algorithm to elevate it to #1 the next time their robots crawl and go "Oh, look, a hundred billion sites linked to gmail.com with text 'gmail'"

The site and ip are pointing to Google's DNS servers, though, and the domain is registered to Google.
      Well, there's also http://gmail.google.com/ and http://www.google.com/gmail/help/about.html to consider in addition to the press release. Some interesting things to note are:

Searching for gmail.com currently indexes gmail.com as "NetConcept"

Google's cache of gmail.com is just an empty page.
      [ redacted ]

Comment

Hmm, this looks a little bit more like an April Fool's Day joke:

http://www.google.com/jobs/lunar_job.html
        [ redacted ]

Comment

It's an april fools joke you dorks.
          .: Grifter :.

Comment

The news covered it like it was real, then went on to talk about Howard Stern being fired as a joke. :>

Comment

kvetched reminds me a lot of kremvax

kremvax: Originally, a fictitious Usenet site at the Kremlin, announced on April 1, 1984 in a posting ostensibly originated there by Soviet leader Konstantin Chernenko. The posting was actually forged by Piet Beertema as an April Fool's joke.

Edit: Obligatory Link: http://www.hack.gr/jargon/html/K/kremvax.html
              Last edited by ; April 1, 2004, 10:45.

Comment

Sean Hannity went liberal on his show this afternoon, great April Fool's got lots of people!

Comment

ugh @ sean hannity
                  - fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                    Sean Hannity went liberal on his show this afternoon, great April Fool's got lots of people!
                    His voice annoys me.. I can't tolerate listening to him for more then 15 minute at any given time.

Comment

hard|OCP is reporting that this is no joke
                      - fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by LiteHedded
                        hard|OCP is reporting that this is no joke
                        They added a login box today. I still contend that this isn't a joke...
                        [ redacted ]

Comment

I wish I had access to the kind of storage that google is going to need to pull this off
                          - fhqwhgads

Comment

Gmail is a free service and includes 1,000 megabytes of storage with each account. However, Gmail is still in preview mode as we test it to work out the kinks. So for now, it's not generally available.
                            i think it is legitamate, for all serach engines eventually have free email. i just don't get the 1000 mb of space.. whose got tape drives?

Comment

Originally posted by Grifter
                              It's an april fools joke you dorks.
                              No, it's not. The press release was set up to make it sound like a joke, but it's legit. Google employees have been signed on, and it's about to open up on an invite basis, like Orkut.
                              the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Working...
                              X