network lockdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• network lockdown

I got a problem at work. I have a dsl router (that I can't configure legally) an Instagate ex2 (piece of shit) and a hub. there are 20 workstations all running win2k pro, and a server running win2k server. Everything is up to date except the Instagate firmware. And, I am the unpaid (or not paid extra) IT guy.

Here's the problem. We have a real relaxed network and work environment, which I like. But, there's a couple jackasses at my work who only take advantage. They spend hours (almost half a day's work sometimes - no joke) surfing the internet and dl'ing from kazaa. It needs to end. these boneheads have dl'ed virus upon virus, trojans, not to mention dl'ing illegal fileshares.

I need some software that can block up these ports. Or something I can use to monitor and just kill the connections. I can't spend anymore money on computer equipment - it's not in the budget. And, even though I could go to work early and reconfigure computers and privileges, I want to do it in a way that is stealth. I want to do this mainly because I have to work with these people in such a small office (I don't want to be the dikhead, basically) I want to maintain the free type atmosphere that these two jackasses don't deserve.

I have full access to anything I want. I thought about just installing something like remotelyanywhere or something, but this is already going too far. I just need something simple and stealth (not a remote administration app, I can administor without the remote).

Anyway, if you know of any software, especially sourceforge type shareware stuff, please let me know.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated.

m3m3tic

Most routers have a port blocking service, if you have access to your router or switches you could block these ports from there.

Comment

yeah, i wish. I can't LEGALLY configure the router. It is the property of the dsl provider. If it was at home i wouldn't think twice, but it's work and that's not cool. second the hub doesn't have shiit for config. and, the esoft bastards want over a $1000 to renew their crap ass software to configure their shit ass instagate EX2.

thanks for replying tho,

m3m3tic

Comment

Originally posted by m3m3tic
        I want to do it in a way that is stealth.
        Aren't these guys going to ask you to fix their "downloading problem" when you block access? Then you're going to be outed, anyway. And if they are going to get pissy just because you say "no" to this, your relationship with them seems like them=master, you=slave.

Originally posted by m3m3tic
        I want to do this mainly because I have to work with these people in such a small office (I don't want to be the dikhead, basically) I want to maintain the free type atmosphere that these two jackasses don't deserve.
        I am not a stereotypical sysadmin that bullies the users around, but you must be a far nicer (or easily manipulated) person than myself. If you don't have all the time in the world to clean up after these guys, and you are doing this for free...grab a pair and lay out the consequences of p2p...if not to these guys, then to their or your boss. The budget is being consumed by their mischeif, as you could be doing real work instead of cleaning up their messes.

Of course, if these guys are the CEO's sons or buddies or something, all of this is moot.

[/rant]

Check these out. Put these on an old box that nobody uses anymore.
        http://www.squid-cache.org/
        http://dansguardian.org/?page=smoothwall
        Ya got no legs, don't come crawlin' to me.

Comment

thanks for the links JoeSchmuck. and the rant.

"Aren't these guys going to ask you to fix their "downloading problem" when you block access? Then you're going to be outed, anyway. And if they are going to get pissy just because you say "no" to this, your relationship with them seems like them=master, you=slave."

they probably will come to me asking to fix and crying about "oh something happened to the internet....," but I just won't attempt to "fix" it. It's one thing to NOT go out of my way to "fix" their p2p then it is to go out of my way and lock down their computers. Trust me though, this moment will happen if things don't change soon. I don't want to be the dikhead, but i will do it if pushed.

"...grab a pair and lay out the consequences of p2p...if not to these guys, then to their or your boss. The budget is being consumed by their mischeif, as you could be doing real work instead of cleaning up their messes."

haha, I've tried this approach. now i'm on step two (stealth lockdown on the two computers). If this doesn't pan out, I will be taking the next step: reconfiguring their user accounts and uninstalling their p2p software, and forcing them to go thru a web proxy, here in the office, that only allows access to limited websites.

m3m3tic

Comment

Working...
          X