Holy cow, I want to give a talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy cow, I want to give a talk

I'm planning on submitting a paper for a talk I'd like to give at Defcon 12, but before I did I thought I'd bounce it off the forums first (now that they're finally back up) to gauge the reaction.

Over the past several months I've been working on developing a BitTorrent replacement which resolves some of the usability and scalability issues of BitTorrent, named PDTP. Along with this I plan on implementing a decentralized, distributed search system which offloads system scalability onto the client side, keeping it from falling prey to the Gnutella syndrome. A number of cryptographic features are provided, such as protocol integrated cryptographic validation of file integrity via DSS signatures to prevent file tampering.

On April 1st Slashdot picked it up. Since then there's been a great deal of interest (although not as much as I'd like from developers), and I've been contacted by both TechTV and New Scientist.

So, my hope would be to give a talk on the protocol's purpose, design, features, and implementation, and at the end of the talk release beta versions of all components of the system (first to the talk's attendees via CD, perhaps, then to the general public) and hope to stir up some underground support for its usage, in hopes of getting more widespread adoption.

So, what does everyone think?
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

Originally posted by bascule
    I'm planning on submitting a paper for a talk I'd like to give at Defcon 12, but before I did I thought I'd bounce it off the forums first (now that they're finally back up) to gauge the reaction.

Over the past several months I've been working on developing a BitTorrent replacement which resolves some of the usability and scalability issues of BitTorrent, named PDTP. Along with this I plan on implementing a decentralized, distributed search system which offloads system scalability onto the client side, keeping it from falling prey to the Gnutella syndrome. A number of cryptographic features are provided, such as protocol integrated cryptographic validation of file integrity via DSS signatures to prevent file tampering.

On April 1st Slashdot picked it up. Since then there's been a great deal of interest (although not as much as I'd like from developers), and I've been contacted by both TechTV and New Scientist.

So, my hope would be to give a talk on the protocol's purpose, design, features, and implementation, and at the end of the talk release beta versions of all components of the system (first to the talk's attendees via CD, perhaps, then to the general public) and hope to stir up some underground support for its usage, in hopes of getting more widespread adoption.

It...seems...good...
    I think there should a tracker that would not permit a download without a given upload, like 50%, 75%, etc. But that's not really relavant to the big picture. I'd attend your lecture. I don't know if it's you or the author, but FTP will obviously never be 'dithced', or, go obsolete.

Comment

I'd attend. It sounds interesting and could have implementations outside of basic spitswapping.

I think a key component that is missing from common search criteria is the ability to checksum files against the original to verify that it is a) what you intended on downloading/reading/etc, b) complete, c) untampered. Sure it can be done in post if the source provides a checksum, but why not add that as a feature for searching too? (not saying that one should ignore client side checksums in leui)
      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

1. My inner librarian wants to know more on RDL, possibility of using XML schema to reference other metadata

2. SOAP interfaces for pdtp

3. Cataloging pdtp servers

Comment

Originally posted by bascule

That you are a media whore... Hey, can I call you Kevin Mitnick?

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
            That you are a media whore... Hey, can I call you Kevin Mitnick?
            Wanna kiss him that bad?

Comment

Working...
            X