Lock XP Folders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock XP Folders

I have to share a computer with my brother, I need a way to lock my folder without him being able to get into it. Because he and I are too lazy to change accounts (mostly he) after we are done with the computer we share the administrative account. I am alot more 'computer savy' than he is. In other words, all he knows how to do is instant message and play games. I need a free way to lock him out of my personal folder so he cant view my files and aplications. Any Ideas? thanks

Originally posted by PyroPhreak
    I have to share a computer with my brother, I need a way to lock my folder without him being able to get into it. Because he and I are too lazy to change accounts (mostly he) after we are done with the computer we share the administrative account. I am alot more 'computer savy' than he is. In other words, all he knows how to do is instant message and play games. I need a free way to lock him out of my personal folder so he cant view my files and aplications. Any Ideas? thanks

Create a seperate account for you an your brother.

There are ways to lock folders in XP. However, since you are too lazy to search google, then I am too lazy to tell you how to do it.

And I guess you aren't that "computer savy" if you can't find the answer to your own question. It's not even a hard question.

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
      Create a seperate account for you an your brother.

There are ways to lock folders in XP. However, since you are too lazy to search google, then I am too lazy to tell you how to do it.

And I guess you aren't that "computer savy" if you can't find the answer to your own question. It's not even a hard question.
      And why doesn't this thread merit a ban?

Comment

Pending the drive is formatted NTFS, create a separate account for you and your brother (as HW said). Set the file permissions accordingly, denying him out of what you do not want him to access to (hint: right click the directory (I refuse to call them folders.. can't do it!!), go into the security settings. Just remember, you can fuck up and lock yourself out if you are not careful, and if you can't figure this much out you will never figure out how to get back in them.. )

Alternatively, you can use EFS to encrypt the stuff you do not want him to see, just remember, you can really step on your own dick with this if you are not carefull..
        Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

depending on the size of the directory contents, you should also look at pgp, instead of trying to use a fruity duct tape solution you could use ACTUAL security...

search google for pgp freeware and also pgp disk, there are both commercial and free versions.

Comment

Too lazy to make a separate account? Use WINZIP on your secure files and password protect them.

Comment

zip passwords are pretty easy to crack with the elcomsoft application. I honestly think rsa beats out zip anyday...

Comment

just pdf everything and password protect it! that's feasable..

Comment

winzip might be easy to crack, but he said his brother was a tard so I think that will work for what he wants.

Comment

There are also a lot of "Hide files and folders" variants out there. Goggle and you will find.
                    One recommondation is the freeware-version of CryptainerLE. It can only hide 10mb but it is enough for the most important text document for example.

http://www.cypherix.co.uk/cryptainer...arewarejunkies

If you want more storeage place, you need to upgrade to the pay-version.
                    When people call me normal I know it's time to seek mental help

Comment

if you can get pgp for free, why WOULDN'T you?

Comment

Originally posted by ttickzz
                        One recommondation is the freeware-version of CryptainerLE.
                        I also would recommend the freeware-version of CryptainerLE. I've really liked it and have sense moved on to the full version, which is not free but well worth the cost.

Originally posted by flea
                        if you can get pgp for free, why WOULDN'T you?
                        Because, some people aren't smart enough.
                        "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Originally posted by lil_freak
                          Because, some people aren't smart enough.
                          I recommended it because he said he was lazy, and this is simple and quick
                          When people call me normal I know it's time to seek mental help

Comment

go to http://www.download.com and type folder lock into the search bar...there you will find all of the answers you are looking for

Comment

What are you trying to hide from your brother? And the only real way to keep anyone from reading your files is to use PGP or some thing like it .( people said above me ) PGP FREEWARE And next time do your homework ie google it .

Comment

Working...
                              X