A linux web browsing kiosk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A linux web browsing kiosk

Hey, I am currently developing a Linux web browsing kiosk in the Debian environment. The motive behind this is to expunge certain costs from proprietary shell companys for kiosk environments, and the killer upgrade costs for windows. I have decided to go debian due to the apt-get, rcconf, and other automated programs to speed up upgrades and such, since we dont do anything remotely. Also have decided to go with mozilla kiosk environment, to give the end user a look and feel of windows, basically i don't want them knowing there using linux. Certain problems with this have arose. One is the bill and credit card swiping mechanisms, and another is a overall database that can detect when a system goes down, and notify us on the main server. These problems can be fixed, or solved - I haven't fully looked into them as of yet. My main question is of a general kind, basically I'm all out of ideas, yet I wanna be CERTAIN that when I do deploy a machine, that it is as secure as it can be, yet as user friendly as possible, I am asking the general public for suggestions, brain farts, etc. basically just things I can look into, to sort of jump start my brain back in the right direction, many a night I have been working on this, and as of right now im brain dead.

Thanks much-
    IcEbLAze.
    When you draw first blood you can't stop this fight
    For my own piece of mind - I'm going to
    Tear your fucking eyes out
    Rip your fucking flesh off
    Beat you till you're just a fucking lifeless carcass
    Fuck you and your progress
    Watch me fucking regress
    You were meant to take the fall - now you're nothing
    Payback's a bitch motherfucker!

Slayer - Payback

So you would handle the product and the payment for that product on the same system?

Comment

Originally posted by phobal
      So you would handle the product and the payment for that product on the same system?
      Uh, the product is internet access, the payment is either credit card, or a bill acceptor payment (you know, like video arcades, but with dollars instead of quarters)
      Last edited by IcEbLAze; April 22, 2004, 14:27.
      Watch me fucking regress

Slayer - Payback

Comment

Originally posted by IcEbLAze
        Uh, the product is internet access, the payment is either credit card, or a bill acceptor payment (you know, like video arcades, but with dollars instead of quarters)

But you really didn't answer the question.

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
          But you really didn't answer the question.

In response to highwizard's comment and phobal's question: yes, yes i would. They are inside machines, ususally near the register for whatever buisness we stick them in. its safe, we havent had a break in, in 4 years. The enclosures are also steel, I think I see where my question is going on this forum. Just forget about it, eh?
          Watch me fucking regress

Slayer - Payback

Comment

Physical security on a kiosk like this is of paramount importance. The biggest threat in regards to these machine would be simply vandalism, however, placing these kiosks next to employee would guarentee that no one tries to spray-paint over the monitor, or shove foreign objects into the bill feeder.

In regards to payment, I would contact credit card terminal manufacturers to see if they have any self-service card readers that are compatible with linux. They might be harder to find, but Im pretty sure that they must be avaiable. If not, I would contact POS (point of sale) software coders to see if they have a system that would simply tendering/settling credit card batches. These vendors might stick you with trying to program your machine entirely, but keep pressuring them, and they might just give you what you need rather than what THEY think you need. I know nothing about bill readers, but my guess is there must be one available that has a SDK.
            Remember, even if you DO come across a CC reader that just comes in parts and is compatible with linux, you still will need to get a merchant ID to be able to tender the cards. CC Machines dont just magically teleport money into your account, they DO take a little bit of work.

Comment

Working...
            X