No announcement yet.

proset problems during working hours???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proset problems during working hours???

I recently installed a doctors office with two types of wireless technology. I have Fujitsu P and T series laptops. The P's use Intersil and the T's use Proset. During working hours the T's (which I believe are stronger W-cards) are turning off entirely! We are running Cisco 1200 AP's using 128 bit encryption (im working on the much needed LEAP). I could probably flush the P's and still get a sig but my T's can't pick up the SSID @ 6'. Does anybody have any ideas???

Ha, is radio enabled?

And why the fuck is 802.11 being installed in a doctor's office? Is it for leisure or for doctors to enter in medical records?

Comment

If you are doing this in the United States, You need to make sure you are following HIPAA regs. If not, then that weak signal is the LEAST of your worries.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/
      Liberty not only means that the individual has both the opportunity and the burden of choice;
      it also means that he must bear the consequences of his actions.
      Liberty and responsibility are inseparable.

- Friedrich Hayek

Comment

Originally posted by phobal
        And why the fuck is 802.11 being installed in a doctor's office? Is it for leisure or for doctors to enter in medical records?
        Doctors like to use PDAs to access patient records. This isn't uncommon. Mr. White is correct though, HIPAA is the standard they need to abide by.
        perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

what kind if md. office is this?
          if it's a radiology office with CT's or MRI's, you will end up with a HUGE signal loss over a large variety of frequencys. this is caused mainly by the JUMBO electromagnets, the metal shielding every where, and the lead wall linings near the x-ray rooms.
          this could be why the wireless is not working durring "buisness hours" (when the stuff is all on)
          you'll probably notice that they dont use crt monitors neat the mri.... if you get a chance, use a crt near the wall of the MRI room.... the magnet from the next room will "suck" the entire screen image to one side of the screen.... it's pretty cool....

of course, if this is a dentists office, then all this rambling will make no sence...
          Do you even now what a CT is?
          the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

it is now an OB\GYN. It used to be a radiology clinic a few years back leading me to believe that the walls may still be lined but i'm not sure. To answer any questions about HIPPA...yes, we are in compliance. I wouldn't dream of posting this if we weren't in compliance. when one of our engineers did an onsite inspection i think he may have failed to check the surrounding offices for possible problems. up to this point this has never occurred. I was in the office briefly but don't remember seeing anything more than sonograms. one of the doctors told me that there was a sports med clinic in the building but that they also had to send pts. across the street to the hosp. for MRI's or CAT's

Comment

Originally posted by gurkhadi
              it is now an OB\GYN. It used to be a radiology clinic a few years back leading me to believe that the walls may still be lined but i'm not sure. To answer any questions about HIPPA...yes, we are in compliance. I wouldn't dream of posting this if we weren't in compliance. when one of our engineers did an onsite inspection i think he may have failed to check the surrounding offices for possible problems. up to this point this has never occurred. I was in the office briefly but don't remember seeing anything more than sonograms. one of the doctors told me that there was a sports med clinic in the building but that they also had to send pts. across the street to the hosp. for MRI's or CAT's
              the echo machines wouldnt do anything superbly weird, as i'm sure you know, and the distance of the mri's should eliminate them....
              you said you did not have this problem before in the same office with the same equipment?
              and you are sure that there are no neighbors with mri's?

is this a soCal location?
              the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

ok, I got a little lost... by "turning off entirely" are you saying:
                a) the laptops are randomly shutting down
                b) the laptops are randomly halting without proper shutdown
                c) the wifi cards are being disabled
                d) the radio is being disabled
                e) the cards are in and out of signal
                f) the cards generally have signal but randomly hit 'dead' spots where they lose connection

what os's are involved? how are the clients set up to connect to the ap? (ie wzc? card client?)

if there is an interferance issue and you can get _some_ signal at the moment, the only options I can think of are to:
                1) take out the interfering item(s) [or lessen their effects to a satisfactory level]
                2) increase power at the AP(s)
                3) increase power at the clients
                4) lock the doctors in a cage with an AP stuck to the top

2 and 3 dependant on the idea that you can actually get signal, just a low one.
                if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Working...
                X