Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to figure out SMTP server of ISP?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to figure out SMTP server of ISP?

    Hi - I was just wondering - is there any easy way to figure out the SMTP server of the ISP that you're connected to? The only way I really know if is to figure out your IP - then figure out what ISP that is - and then check that ISP's website for info about their SMTP server. Surely there's an easier way? Thanks!

  • #2
    Method a
    1) If using webmail, observe the ISP's service you are using.
    2) Locate the ISP's website, and using their search tool, type 'SMTP'.

    Method b
    1) Call the ISP and ask them for this information.

    Method c
    1) Bounce an email to your fastmail, hotmail, etc, and go through the headers.

    This is a stupid question.

    Comment


    • #3
      The easiest way is to use a terminal program to connect to port 25 of the mailserver. It should then announce what software and version it's running. If not, try typing "HELP".
      45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
      45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
      [ redacted ]

      Comment


      • #4
        err - I'm asking how to find the URL of the mail server. Not what software the web server is running.

        Originally posted by phobal
        ...This is a stupid question.
        Thanks, I try.

        Comment


        • #5
          Doing a query with 'dig' on the domain will tell you the MX servers for the domain (MX records being fancy talk for their SMTP servers). From there you can telnet to port 25 of the mail server and look at its headers to see what it purports to be.

          Forgot to go into a bit more detail about 'dig'. Dig is a unix tool (there may be windows ports) that can perform a number of queries on a domain. If you dont have a unix host available, check with our pal Google and see if theres a windows equivilent to dig out there.

          I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by noid
            Dig is a unix tool (there may be windows ports) that can perform a number of queries on a domain. If you dont have a unix host available, check with our pal Google and see if theres a windows equivilent to dig out there.
            You can perform MX lookups with the nslookup tool that's included with Windows, too. Just "set type=mx" before querying the domain.

            You can run nslookup using Start > Run > nslookup
            45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
            45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
            [ redacted ]

            Comment


            • #7
              www.dnsstuff.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bascule
                You can perform MX lookups with the nslookup tool that's included with Windows, too. Just "set type=mx" before querying the domain.

                You can run nslookup using Start > Run > nslookup
                so I go into dos - type "nslookup" press enter. type "set type=mx" press enter. Type "www.comcast.net" press enter. (as an example)

                Do I have to be connected to that ISP for it to work? Or am I missing something here? Sorry I've never used the nslookup program before...

                Comment


                • #9
                  here try this
                  dnsstuff
                  "so many books, so little time"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ch0l0man, thanks thanks for the echo echo. (See my post 2 before yours)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by astcell
                      Well so I looked at that page - but so are you saying I should use the e-mail tester? Do I just put the URL of the ISP in it? Or a E-mail address of someone on that ISP? I tried both and neither gave me back my school's e-mail server.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        nslookup

                        Originally posted by NleahciM
                        Hi - I was just wondering - is there any easy way to figure out the SMTP server of the ISP that you're connected to? The only way I really know if is to figure out your IP - then figure out what ISP that is - and then check that ISP's website for info about their SMTP server. Surely there's an easier way? Thanks!
                        Noid is right learn to use dig.
                        but if you are on windows
                        you can use nslookup

                        typically, but not always, isp's name their smtp servers in this format:
                        smtp.isp.net(or com)

                        so just do:
                        nslookup smtp.isp.net
                        and do
                        nslookup mail.isp.net

                        First is their smtp server and the second is the server they are running pop3 on.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Please check the dates on these threads before posting. ktnx

                          I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X