First Timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Timer

Well this is going to be my first time at Defcon. IS there anything I can expect from the people there? I dont know anyone there, so I am just there mostly for the talks. IS there anything I can expect? I am going to be on vacation is Las Vegas, so I figured is would be cool to go to Defcon. Thanks.

Btw is any one going to BlackHat, I was going to go until I saw the price.

My recommendation: don't spend _all_ your time in the talks. For that matter, don't spend all your time at any particular facet of the conference, but try and get a good sampling of defcon activities, hang out. As introverted as you may be, try and meet people.. the people that show up are the real attraction at defcon.. Read through the forums thoroughly and you'll get some pretty good ideas about what to expect.
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, ill be sure to check it out.

Comment

mikedc1760, One thing that does not go over well are people who know the meaning of AOL, BNC, NIC, PC and OS and immediate paint themselves as sysadmins at NASA.

Good word to anyone going: Be yourself. If you are a slurpee technician and play with computers on the side, then that's what you are. Be proud of it!

Comment

yeah, that's one thing i've noticed, if you're real with everyone, people will be cool even if you don't even know how to turn a computer on. If you try to pretend to be anything you're not, it'll show through immediatly.
          "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I say, go to it not anticipating anything. Live it up!

Comment

Originally posted by mikedc1760
              Btw is any one going to BlackHat, I was going to go until I saw the price.
              Yeah, BlackHat ain't cheap. I can't imagine anyone paying that out of their own pocket. If you actually work in IT security you could get your employers to pay for it, but I'm not that lucky. You will see several people at DC with BlackHat swag though. Buy them a beer and ask them about it.
              Drake

Comment

Originally posted by Drake
                Yeah, BlackHat ain't cheap. I can't imagine anyone paying that out of their own pocket. If you actually work in IT security you could get your employers to pay for it, but I'm not that lucky. You will see several people at DC with BlackHat swag though. Buy them a beer and ask them about it.
                Or, kill them and take their swag.. Then people will buy you beer.

Comment

Or, kill them, take their swag AND their employer sponsored beer (which you can then give away to make friends)
                  “Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.”

Comment

Originally posted by spahkle
                    Or, kill them, take their swag AND their employer sponsored beer (which you can then give away to make friends)
                    And take their pants... It's always good to have a second pair of pants.

Comment

highwiz,
                      "you are the hight of just-too-muchery"
                      -joe (Family Guy)
                      The only stupid question is the one that you dont ask.
                      Or the one that ends up in dev/null.

Comment

Originally posted by enCode
                        highwiz,
                        "you are the hight of just-too-muchery"
                        -joe (Family Guy)
                        I can't tell whether that was an insult or a compliment. So, since I am an egomaniac I will take it as a compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
                          I can't tell whether that was an insult or a compliment. So, since I am an egomaniac I will take it as a compliment.
                          yea, it was a compliment
                          no worries :)
                          The only stupid question is the one that you dont ask.
                          Or the one that ends up in dev/null.

Comment

Snacks for geeks program

Originally posted by Drake
                            ... You will see several people at DC with BlackHat swag though. Buy them a beer and ask them about it.
                            Yep. Sound advice.

You'll get good results if you can locate big, long-haired geeks with some gray in their beard. Lure 'em with something that'll make 'em obligated to talk for awhile: a double vodka w/ redbull, or CC and water; pizza or coffee would work too, if you're too young for the bar. :D

Surreal
                            "hope springs eternal"

Comment

Working...
                            X