Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locksmith Supplies in LV,NV

Hello,

(Partial brain dump on locksmithing stuff in LV, NV)

Please post places in Las Vegas (or online) where you find useful locksmithing/lockpicking information and places to purchase supplies in Las Vegas.

Over the past several years, there have been lockpicking demos and various OOB discussions on it. Some helpful information on lockpicks even though IANAL (I am not a lawyer.)

2 Places which existed in LV (may still exist) to buy lockpicks without ID or verification
    (last I checked at DC 9 or 10):

1) This place is closer to the con, but the prices are rather high for lockpicking supplies. The prices were about 4 to 6 times the price Locksmiths might pay for "wholesale", but they are closer to the con, and have lots of other interesting stuff including books from loompanics and other similar items:
    Fox's Spy Outlet, 2055 East Tropicana Avenue
    http://www.foxspyoutlet.com/ (seems unavailable right now, but whois shows domain still owned)
    Because of their proximity to the con, they often were sold out of tools by the Thursday before the con.

2) This next place is actually a real, live, genuine locksmith supply shop. Certainly, they will sell supplies to consumers and often do, but other locksmiths in LV, NV which are smaller organizations that do not have tools they need and need something quickly also shop here.
    The prices are more reasonable, but you should at least have some consideration if you visit a shop like this.
    Though you probably do not need it, use some SocEng and talk like a locksmith. Wear clothing you might expect one to wear, and drop any kind of "gangsta-pimp" speak. Educate yourself before you visit this shop about lingo of the trade, and the people behind the desk will chat with you for hours on different information of locksmithing. The more you show you know about various things the more they will talk with you. They are a good source of information if you can manage to engage them in dialog.
    Prices are about 1.5 to 2.0 times higher than what locksmiths can get through direct sales for picks/bypass tools.
    http://www.nevadalock.com/locations.htm
    2969 S. Highland Ave.

You can get better prices online, but then there is an issue of tracking your purchase and a paper-trail.

The information above may be old. It was current during DC 10, but "9/11" changed many things.

You should consult the laws of your country, province, state, or government on posession of lockpicks and other lock bypass methods. In some states (California) possession of lockpicks by people who have not been convicted of a felony or crime like B and E may presently possess them, but purchases made in California are supposed to require verification and tracking with a photo ID. Then in a state like New Jersey, possession and ownership is restricted to locksmiths or people with similar license.

Possession of such tools can be argued to be "reasonable cause" for police to search you or a vehicle in many places.

Possession of such tools when caught trespassing can elevate a misdemeanor to a felony, or compound the sentencing process.

Police are often not educated on these laws (re lockpicks) in your state, so you may be hassled for having them even if it is not illegal (read legal) to possess them where you live.

Educate yourself on your risk and exposure before you go out any buy anything like this.

In some states, all that is required to be a registered locksmith (and carry picks, and sometimes be entitled to get a license to carry concealed weapons) is to get fingerprinted, pay for a background check and give the state less than $50 per year.

Becoming "bonded" is not the same thing as being licensed, but some people in law enforcement do not know the difference.

If you are traveling by plane, do not carry them on the plane with you or you will risk having them removed from your person and lost for ever.

ALOA has actually had their convention in Las Vegas at least twice and their meetings have actually been at the same time as DC! One year, I think they actually had DC at the same hotel as part of the ALOA conference. We waited outside a meeting room which had a sign that said, "The ----- Hotel Welcomes ALOA Attendees." Another year I think it was at the MGM (about 1.5 miles from the AP IIRC.)

Restated warning:
    If you do not look like a locksmith, and do not talk like a locksmith, many locksmith won't talk to you. At Fox's spy outlet they did not care what you looked like; if you had the money, they would sell you what they had, but they (sales person) knew little about locksmithing or lock picking.

Irvine Underground will be selling pick sets in the vendor area and the Lock Pick contest staff may be selling pick sets in their contest area.
    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
      Irvine Underground will be selling pick sets in the vendor area and the Lock Pick contest staff may be selling pick sets in their contest area.
      Any idea what they will be offering?

Like: picks, pick guns, eletronic picks, plug spinners, shims, jiggler keys, etc. ( ? )

Comment

Fox's Spy Outlet caters to the 'mall ninja' crowd. The type of people that order Rambo knives out of the back of Soldier of Fortune. Needless to say, they fleece the crap out of their customers. The 9 dollar 'back up' pick set I ordered from Septon was 60 bucks there because it was 'concealable'.

Septon doesn't have a web page but here is their contact info http://www.pillarcom.com/septon.html. I havent done business with them in a long time, but last time I did it was very pleasant.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

If your caravan takes you through AZ, buy picks here

There are many many places here in AZ you can get pics, so if your caravan happens to travel through the valley of the sun you might find a pretty good deal on some...and our laws for pics in AZ are pretty relaxed (relatively speaking)-

LosT

Comment

As of right now the DC719 is looking into getting whole sets of lockpick kits to sell at DC.

We are also in the process of dealing with a vendor to get souvenir picks made with this years LPCon logo on it. (KaiGoth, SP, and myself hope to have everything worked out within a week)

Hopefully we will have something up on our website within a few days.
            dc719.org

If you are looking at getting lockpicks from a vendor your best bet is to buy on-line, because most places will not sell lockpicks without a license.

If anyone would like any more information, please feel free to e-mail or pm me or h3adrush.
            "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Hand made is good, the gear IVU had last year was nicer (bit pricey, but nice stuff). http://www.shomertec.com/ has some nice stuff and easy paperwork to fudge if you have to.

One addendum to TheCotMan's initial post; check out what the requirements are in your state/province for being licensed, it might be easier than you think and make things easier all around.

In Alberta you need a few things: Business license, $1 Million general liability insurance (standard for contract work anyways), a clean criminal record and a background check. This is enough to get you a permit to carry. You don't need to be a locksmith or employed by a locksmith or even have any training. Having one would take alot of the questions about buying picks away and allow you to get the really cool stuff (pick guns, etc)

Since I'm in the process of setting myself up as a business for some contract work anyways, it's easy for me to apply as well. I just have to give them a good excuse as to why I need to carry picks. In my case, it's for VA's on server rooms and facilities and for backup purposes of opening locked racks, cabinets etc that people invariably never know were the keys are.

Hopefully I should have my permit by DC
              Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by lil_freak
                We are also in the process of dealing with a vendor to get souvenir picks made with this years LPCon logo on it. (KaiGoth, SP, and myself hope to have everything worked out within a week)
                Ah! Very nice! Though I have plenty of picks and varieties, I can use a good souvenir like this. If you go through with this, I'd appreciate it if you could "reserve" at least one for me to buy from you. I've got other people in my group who might also want one, but I can check with them.

Your ideas to get specialty picks made for the con sounds absolutely fabulous!

If you are looking at getting lockpicks from a vendor your best bet is to buy on-line, because most places will not sell lockpicks without a license.
                For the most part, this is true in many places, but varies from state to state, business to business. I've never been "carded" for any license in Nevada, but in New Jersey, they were very territorial about what was, required to make purchases. California seems to be a bit odd... some places required Photo ID to process your transaction, and others either did not know, or did not care so long as you had the money. When I managed to find a way into an ALOA convention, I was able to grab a number of papers provided by a locksmithing group out of Baltimore, MD that showed laws for lockpicking, lockpicks and bypass tools on 10 states. (Wish I could find those papers again.)

I agree with you, on-line is a really good way to go for price, as you can often get really good prices there. If you have a license, you can register with HPC and get them even cheaper (from what I hear) but that would require registering with your local government/state, and possibly involve getting fingerprinted.

Comment

If you are going the online route, southord is a great place, they carry quality
                  materials, have quick shipping, and I believe on all new orders they throw in
                  a little book of lockpick techniques and theories, definitly cool for people new to the LP scene.
                  .:. Adrenaline .:.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                    Your ideas to get specialty picks made for the con sounds absolutely fabulous!
                    Thanks, I will pass this on to the guys.

:) We are also working on getting the practice lockboards done.
                    You can always check out the progress as to what is going on by looking at our forums.
                    "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Thanks, I will pass this on to the guys.

:) We are also working on getting the practice lockboards done.
                      You can always check out the progress as to what is going on by looking at our forums.
                      Any plans to have Medeco locks that use interlocking pins, or mushroom pins or combination of both of these? How about so called tubular locks (sometimes called chicago ace locks) which require tubular picks, or lots of patience and normal picks?

Also, by forums, do you mean the "Lockpicking contest 04" section at http://forums.dc719.org/phpBB/

Thanks

Comment

The basic lockpicks (snake, half-diamond) are easy to make. See this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by murakami
                          The basic lockpicks (snake, half-diamond) are easy to make. See this thread.
                          Yep, I have made my own sets before, but encountered some unexpeted flames when talking with licensed locksmiths to learn more about techniques. I thought they might be impressed with my hobby-skills. However, when I showed them my homemade set, one asked me, "You look to young to have made those while in prison." Sadly, the conversation was prematurely cut short, and they were less forthcoming with the goodies I desired. (Learning experience.)

They also asked me what I would do if someone from law enforcement saw these obviously homemade picks. He asked how well I could explain them away and pass myself off as a real locksmith or someone who should really have tools like this under circumstances where a search of my person caused my tools to come to light. (Some ideas I came up with included: gardening tools, archeological dig scrapers, pottery etching devices, etching blades, and, um... lottery ticket scratchers... ;-)

As a result, I broke down and bought some picks, and reconsidered my company when showing off my homemade picks. They grant some kudos from fellow computer security enthusiasts and lockpicking hobbyists, but some condemnation by some locksmiths.

I still have both professional and homemade picks, and choose which to carry (and show) based on the company present. Each have advantages in different circumstances.

As for my opinion on which are better; I say it does not matter to me. My opinion of a holder will not be changed based on which kind they have, but it will be changed based on how well they can use the tools they have chosen to use.

I do suggest people who are interested in picking enjoy the learning experience of making your own set and then using them.

Comment

IVU had several different sets last year. The good ones went first of course. Get there early, get the picks right away and start practicing right away. You will have a jump on the others.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                              Any plans to have Medeco locks that use interlocking pins, or mushroom pins or combination of both of these? How about so called tubular locks (sometimes called chicago ace locks) which require tubular picks, or lots of patience and normal picks?

Also, by forums, do you mean the "Lockpicking contest 04" section at http://forums.dc719.org/phpBB/

Thanks
                              We are still looking at locks to buy. We will lock shopping this Saturday so I really can't answer your question as of now.

Yes, that would be the forum.
                              We post stuff for LP under both: Meetings & Lockpicking Contest 04.

Comment

Working...
                              X