This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's official: war(verb)ing is dead

Hi. Excuse me for a moment while I go off on a semi-related tangent.

War(verb)ing is dead. There, I said it. For anyone who hasn't figured it out, war(verb)ing is the act of any activity undertaken with the intention of stumbling wireless networks of any type, regardless of whether or not a connection to or association with said network is made.

The '(verb)' part of the term 'war(verb)ing' is intended to encompass the panoply of different techniques that may be employed in the course of stumbling wireless networks. Some examples would be:

- Wardriving.
    - Warwalking.
    - Warflying.
    - Wargaming (yes, I've seen it).
    - Warcartwheelswithakendollrammedupyourassing.

Of course, that is by no means an exhaustive list. Pretty much any activity that the act of locating radio-based networks can be tiredly associated with will do just fine. Onwards.

The point is that engaging in these activities isn't necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, except for perhaps the one involving the Ken doll. After all, finding wireless networks is a pretty valid thing to want to do in a number of circumstances ranging from recreational curiosity to a need for network access. It is, as a great man once said, just fucking spiffy that people want to locate these networks and do whatever with or to them. No problem with that at all.

No, where the problem lies is with the act of stumbling being tacked on to ever-more ludicrous types of activities. Warflying: kinda nifty from the 'redundant but at least it was done and doesn't need to be repeated' standpoint. Warchalking: retarded, because it doesn't tell me anything Netstumbler (or even my wireless card's bundled utilities) don't. Waranythingelseing: probably a cheap grab for attention at this point by people desperate for anyone to look in their direction for the next eight seconds. And anyone rehashing any of the above to inflict upon the already-saturated public is definitely doing the 'lookie me' routine, which, by default, is asshattery.

So, to summarise:

It's done.

It's been done for four years.

Doing it another way and bragging about it is, at this point, just plain retarded.

The term 'war(verb)ing' should be the last such linguistic construction created relating to stumbling activities. Period.

Should you have any questions regarding this, please feel free to write them on a piece of paper, fold it up so that the corners are nice and pointy, and jam it into your peehole. Thank you for your support.
    Last edited by skroo; May 26, 2004, 20:32.

heh.. its even more funny to wander over to forums.netstumbler and see any odd number of folks soooo excited about how cool their 'setup' is.. posting pictures of such a beautiful creation that has been done and posted hundreds of times before.

i retort that wardriving is always a fun little pastime. its importance.. well.. was it ever really _that_ important? flying, chalking, walking, boating.. never were that interesting anyways except for the very first comments that "hey, I bet we could do this from a helicopter too" ...
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

I agree. If a new War-verbing is invented we may have something. Or instead of war-verbing, maybe someone can think of a new invention idea just as unique. Then you can give it your own name. I cam be called kelvinating, chrissing, skrooing, asting, and so on. Some folks just dwell on the present.

I wardrove, warchopped and warwaited. They are all on this board. I am looking for something new but in the meantime I will wardrive annually.

Then again maybe these kids with their kits are like me when I was discovering "new" stuff only to find out it was old stuff I saw for the first time.

Comment

As a mod at forums.netstumbler.com everyday I see people prefix "war" to some sort of stumbling activity and think they've created something new. It just isn't so. Be it in a bus, car, plane, skateboard, or ox-cart, people have used it for stumbling. The mode of transport has never been the point.
        Thorn
        "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Someone needs to invent a better antenna or another software code. Transportstion is not an issue.

Comment

we should give this retarded "war-verbing" activity a nice derogatory nickname that is something like "warshitting".
            "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I like the war-rickshawing personally.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse
                we should give this retarded "war-verbing" activity a nice derogatory nickname that is something like "warshitting".
                i've warshat... its not very fun....
                you get a few AP's once you start... but you could sit there all day and not get much more......
                the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

heh, warpeeing

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
                    War(verb)ing is dead. There, I said it. For anyone who hasn't figured it out, war(verb)ing is the act of any activity undertaken with the intention of stumbling wireless networks of any type, regardless of whether or not a connection to or association with said network is made.
                    What about wardialing?

Oh wait, that died a decade ago...
                    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                    [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by bascule
                      It did? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by bascule
                        What about wardialing?

Funny, I just engaged in said activity about a month ago. I must be living under a rock. Tell me, are white dinner jackets and skinny ties dead too? I gotta know

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid
                          Tell me, are white dinner jackets and skinny ties dead too? I gotta know
                          Yeah man, didn't you hear? It's all about cheap rayon shirts these days... and for the love of god don't tuck them in
                          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                          [ redacted ]

Comment

I only wear skinny ties, i've got about 15 of them.
                            "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by jesse
                              I only wear skinny ties, i've got about 15 of them.
                              I personally prefer saddle shoes, chino pants, white button-down shirts with a fruitloop on the back and a pocket protecter, bow ties and horned rim glasses with just a hint of white tape and a "kick me" sign on my back...but then I could be a geek....did I mention my nifty slide rule?

I enjoy talking to myself...it's usually the only intelligent conversations I get to have.

Comment

Working...
                              X