Is defcon for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is defcon for me?

Okay well I'm going to setup arrangements to go to defcon this year. I remember seeing it a few years back and wanted to go but couldn't due to schedule conflictions. Well it looks like I'm finally going to get to go this year but now I'm thinking. Is defcon really for me? I don't consider myself a hacker or anything. I don't want to go there and be a complete newb and not know whats going on. I just want to go there to listen to some of the guest speakers and stuff. Maybe enter the coffee contest(where you stay up real late, if they're having it this year). What should I do?

Thanks
    John

Originally posted by dark2k1
    Okay well I'm going to setup arrangements to go to defcon this year. I remember seeing it a few years back and wanted to go but couldn't due to schedule conflictions. Well it looks like I'm finally going to get to go this year but now I'm thinking. Is defcon really for me? I don't consider myself a hacker or anything. I don't want to go there and be a complete newb and not know whats going on. I just want to go there to listen to some of the guest speakers and stuff. Maybe enter the coffee contest(where you stay up real late, if they're having it this year). What should I do?

Thanks
    John
    Defcon is not recommanded for the people who should't go.
    You know who you are...
    - "Whoop Ass"
    /* NO COMMENT */

Comment

Thanks
      John
      If you have to ask the question "Is Defcon right for me?", then the answer most likely is "no".

Comment

Thanks
        John
        do what i am doing; look around the website, check out a few of the photos, talk to a few people who have gone, gather a friend, take a week off work, drop c$500 on airfare and c$350 on hotel, go, and hope for the best.

Comment

Well, I don't consider myself a hacker but I am a programmer. I mainly work with server side scripting languages but I also write applications in programming languages. One of the reasons I wanted to go to defcon is I wanted to hear the guest speakers and their advice on writing secure network applications.

Comment

Well, I don't consider myself a hacker but I am a programmer. I mainly work with server side scripting languages but I also write applications in programming languages. One of the reasons I wanted to go to defcon is I wanted to hear the guest speakers and their advice on writing secure network applications.
            Then yes, Defcon is for you. However, while there's a definite technical element to it, that's not the complete reason for its existence - the social side of things is equally valuable, giving you a chance to meet and hang out with people who hopefully share the same interests as you. If all of this sounds appealing, then you'll be OK.

Comment

It sounds like fun. Will there be a lot of other programmers there? I really want to converse with other programmers(i'm really only good at two languages php and java :|). I don't want to go there have have to sit in a room with a bunch of "l33t h4x0ring" discussing the "progz" they use to "h4x0r d4 m4inf4m3z". Its really annoying when you have to talk to those people in real life because they run around trying to know everything yet they know nothing at all.

Comment

It sounds like fun. Will there be a lot of other programmers there? I really want to converse with other programmers(i'm really only good at two languages php and java :|). I don't want to go there have have to sit in a room with a bunch of "l33t h4x0ring" discussing the "progz" they use to "h4x0r d4 m4inf4m3z". Its really annoying when you have to talk to those people in real life because they run around trying to know everything yet they know nothing at all.
                there's no pretension. or at least it's minimized. those guys get roasted before the con even begins i hear... don't be so mechanical and wonder what to anticipate. just go knowing that you'll be around like-minded people.

Comment

I don't want to go there have have to sit in a room with a bunch of "l33t h4x0ring" discussing the "progz" they use to "h4x0r d4 m4inf4m3z". Its really annoying when you have to talk to those people in real life because they run around trying to know everything yet they know nothing at all.
                  Oh, and those people do turn up. However, usually somewhere around late in day one to the middle of day two, they realise they're basically a bunch of clueless dipshits and consequently get ridiculed to the point where they disappear up their own assholes with a quiet pop. You'll have good people to talk to, no problem. Just gotta find them.

Comment

Some folks that show up barely know how to turn the computer on, but they show up to learn and socialize; and they do just fine.
                    Of course, others show up just to be a drunken ass.. and they tend to meet the "wrath of the goons (TM). (Fat Bastard comes to mind.. Dir_Jeremy's trusty sidekick from DCX.)
                    In other words, you get what you put in, and it is what you make of it.
                    Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Okay cool :) I'll be there then.

My favorite language is php(probably because I use it the most). Do you know if there will be any guest speakers that will be talking about server-side scripting languages?

Comment

there's been plenty of serverside scripting talks in recent years. Just keep checking the defcon website's talks section to see if any are accepted this year.

Maybe bascule should have finished his PHP Keychain project... that was a good idea on how to improve PHP's inherently weak security.
                        "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I asked my doctor if Defcon was right for me. Turns out, it was the best thing I could have done. I have more energy, my coat is healthier, and my ringworm problem is solved. Thanks Defcon!

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Awesome! Serverside scripting is my favorite. I will definitly be there this year!

http://powerportal.sourceforge.net <~~I was hoping how I could learn how to make that more secure :\ An exploit was recently reported on phpsecure.org. I fixed it, but it was scary.

Comment

i think you're the first person whom i have ran into on this forum who is interested PURELY on the lectures, and not the shenadigans. :D. honor.

Comment

Working...
                              X