This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 206 - Vegas motorcycle Ride

Me and another guy named Sim have planned out the 206 motorcycle trip to Vegas. If you are interested, read more details: http://www.desmonorthwest.com/forums...read.php?t=192
    Strive for a reality where all have the means & knowledge to completely destroy one another, yet choose not to.

Originally posted by Charon
    Me and another guy named Sim have planned out the 206 motorcycle trip to Vegas. If you are interested, read more details: http://www.desmonorthwest.com/forums...read.php?t=192
    Damn, that's going to be a long ride. A buddy and I made the LA to Vegas run a couple years back and decided that once was enough. It's usually pretty toasty by the time you hit Nevada. I'd highly recommend hydroweave vests and camelbaks for anyone not acclimated to summertime in the desert.

Also, you may want to post the ride info somewhere that doesn't require registration. It's probably safe to assume most of us are too lazy or apathetic to sign up to another board over a single post.

-xinc
    A pick-axe, a dental dam and a dream...

Comment

I've been thinking this year about a ride out from WV. Perhaps something for next year, and a month of vacation time. I'm sure the ride would be as close to death as I have ever came. I would be interested in checking out your rides though once you swung in. Bikes are #4 on the list of things I love the most. I should never have sold mine.

Comment

Good point on the registration xinc, sorry about that, it was late and i took a sleeping pill.

Here's what I've got so far, I'll post a route map once I have one soon. I'm looking at 1300 miles there and back and yeah I'm getting a camelback. I'm going to die of heat exhaustion but it will be an experience.

Sim and Charon have been planning a trek to Vegas for a year and the time is growing close. Sim and Charon as the supreme governing council of Doc Gonzo's 2004 Defcon Invitational Ride,
        got together and mapped out a route, which isn't secret, but just isn't brought together nicely in mapquest yet. We're planning 3 days down and 3 days back with a week inbetween for hacking conference fun and hopefully some learning and plenty of partying.

We'd be plowing out of town on July 23 in the early AM and leaving Vegas at August 2nd. While in town we plan to enjoy the mecca of security geek conferences, www.blackhat.com and www.defcon.org. We are traveling light, sim on his Ducati 749s, charon on his Ducati 999s. If anyone wants to come along (attending the conf, or just wants the ride, post on this thread).

Prerequisites:

* you must have seen the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (super extra bonus points if you read the book)

* you must have read The Song of the Sausage Creature

* You must be prepared to meet the bats just outside Barstow or the sausage creature anywhere along the route

*You must convince Sim and I, as soul members of the supreme governing council, that you belong on the trip.

* And while we don't care what kind of bike you drive, it shouldn't break down and it shouldn't blow up and it should't fall over and hurt my foot when i stand next to you unless you were intoxicated and accidently dropped it. In this case we fight for the title to the dropped bike

Any takers?
        love and kisses Raoul Duke
        Strive for a reality where all have the means & knowledge to completely destroy one another, yet choose not to.

Comment

I rode my ZX-6 from San Diego to Virginia Beach once. Let me emphasize the ONCE in that sentence. I was so beat up after the first day of riding that I walked into the hotel room, took off my helmet, fell on the bed and went to sleep in all of my riding gear. I did the trip in five days. I might do it again on a cruiser, but definately not a sport bike. I suspect your ride will be a bit more sightly that my terminal desert ride.

My trip legs:
          San Diego to Tucson, AZ
          Tucson to Ft. Stockton, TX
          Ft. Stockton to Orange, TX (Yes, a full day ride through TX)
          Orange to Random Alabama Town
          Random Alabama Town to Virginia Beach

Got pulled over in AZ. The convo went something like this:
          Cop: "Know how fast you were going back there?"
          Me: "No, sir. I was paying attention to traffic."
          Cop: "Well, a cop in the last town clocked you at 95 because that is as high as his radar gun goes. He tried to catch you, doing 120 mph, but you were still pulling away."
          Me: :(
          Cop: "We wouldn't have even known you were on the road, but all of the truckers were chattering on their CB's about a motorcycle racing some red head in a sports car."
          Me: DAMNIT! (Not outloud, of course.)

NOTE HERE: She was my girlfriend at the time, she was a red head, she was driving a candy-apple red Mazda MX-6, and I won the race.

Moral of the story: Indeed, you can't outrun the radio.
          Also: Don't race hot red headed women in the desert. Even if you win, you lose.

Cheers to those who go, and I wish you a good ride.
          Ya got no legs, don't come crawlin' to me.

Comment

route map

http://www.mcclincy.com/vegas. Seems that this is just a ride of 2. if you see a Ducati 749s and Ducati 999s together in Vegas around blackhat/defcon time or on the road a few days before, it's me and sim most likely. say hi or something.

Comment

Just wanted to wish the best of luck to anyone that participates. I've been on a few long distance rides on my '83 Shadow and '95 BMW K-bike, and I know what kind of a challenge it can be. Keep the black side down!
              Aut disce aut discede

Comment

Working...
              X