DefCon Vendors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DefCon Vendors

So, I'm trying to organize my time and figure things out about DefCon. I do have one question for everybody. What vendors are at DefCon and who gives good free stuff?

...yay free stuff...

Originally posted by neXus
    ...yay free stuff...
    How're you set for socks containing bars of soap?

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
      How're you set for socks containing bars of soap?
      :(
      Hmm... ok, so no free stuff. But I mean, seriously, what is going to be there? I know Jinx is going to be selling clothes, but what kinda hardware is going to be available for purchase? I heard no checks, so cash, I assume thats still true... so nothing expensive I'd imagine (such as laptops, or anything of the sort).

Comment

Hmm... ok, so no free stuff. But I mean, seriously, what is going to be there? I know Jinx is going to be selling clothes, but what kinda hardware is going to be available for purchase? I heard no checks, so cash, I assume thats still true... so nothing expensive I'd imagine (such as laptops, or anything of the sort).
        2 Parts:
        1: Free Stuff
        2: What is in the vendor area

PART 1: FREE STUFF AT DEFCON (not a complete list, but a partial list)

Historical reference to previous DC:
        The stuff that has been made available for "Free" has included the following:
        Outdated "Junk" that is thrown at the audience.
        * Old OS Install CD
        * Copies of really old Compiler/IDE
        * Ancient hardware (sometimes broken)
        * Old 80's-style cell phones which more resemble 1/2 gallon orange juice containers than they do any modern cell phone
        * (you get the idea)

Some Speakers have been known to give away free CD with their project/software/files to a select number of people.

Some Speakers have been known to give away free swag which advertises their product:
        * Tee shirts for you to advertise their product (if your (un)-lucky)
        * Stickers (if the Alexis Park is Unlucky... (Tag-city), or someone passes out in public (Tag-person))
        * Other junk with the company's logo and name on them.
        * High-gloss color marketing papers left on every seat when you come into the room. (This was the *worst*. When my buddies and I saw this happen for the first time to us (DC 8?) we thought DC had gone mainstream, and it was going to get worse. Luckily, we have not seen that happen again. We did not stay for that presentation.)

One year, Shipley from DoC sold out of their stock and he came onto the stage in one of the presentations and said something like this:
        "Because we have made enough money to break even, we have decided to give back to the community, and have 6-9 tee shirts to give away. WHO WANTS ONE!?"
        Then he tossed them out at people and left again.

A few years in a row, Schneier gave away stuff from his work. One year, he gave away a signed deck of cards. He gave things to people who either asked good crypto questions or answered good crypto questions.

DC is not a conventional convention. (heh-heh. Whoah! That is like, cool!)

The vendor area is filled with people selling things. The most you will get in the way of free stuff might be:
        * Stickers (maybe with the purchase of something)
        * Propaganda (politics or religious papers which try to convince you to believe something different)

Beyond this, people do get "free stuff" at DefCon, but there is usually a reason...

People who are well liked by others sometimes get free beer when others decide to be generous.

Some people may like the work that people have done in making the Con work well, and give special gifts to people they appreciate.

Some people cause problems and get a free introduction to one of the Pools.

Short story: Do not EXPECT to get something free.

(Those "free" beers you see people receiving from people who like them are not really free; the receiver has usually done something to earn them.)

If you actually know something, you may be able to convince someone who knows less than you to buy you something (beer/water/soda) while you share what you know with them. (Again, not free.)

PART 2: VENDOR AREA
        Tee Shirts
        Software
        BOOKS (OH yeah! very cool stuff. You can buy books with subversive content, pay in cash, and there is no paper-trail.)
        Pre-paid DefCon Video collections on DVD? VHS? (Running around $600 or more)
        HAXXXOR CHIXXXS (was there last year, but they won't be a vendor this year-- bad karma) (I was not there last year.)
        Some religous group (Christian?) last year. (I was not there last year.)
        Parts/equipment: There is a guy who sells stuff. Is it Ira? (Can't remember his name.) Lots of old tech, and some of the prices are higher than what you can get similar items for on ebay. I seem to recall some expensive items. One year, there was an item that was marked as a "TEMPEST" machine for something between $1,000 to $10,000... I do not recall the exact price.
        VHS Tapes (One year, they were selling "Unauthorized Access")
        Data CD (Like Group/Club 42 sells out, from many years ago, and others like this.)

The Alexis park sells food ($3-4 for a slice of Pizza. $2-3 for a large drink and $3 or more for enegery drinks.)

(These lists are not complete, but a good start.)
        Last edited by TheCotMan; July 18, 2004, 03:12. Reason: Fixed "spilling" ;-)

Comment

There are a few vendors who take credit cards, either in person or via PayPal. Beyond that, there's always the ATM (but not the one at the AP... that's just a bad idea...).
          the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by octalpus
            There are a few vendors who take credit cards, either in person or via PayPal. Beyond that, there's always the ATM (but not the one at the AP... that's just a bad idea...).
            Defcon 9: I pulled the ATM out from the wall before using it and saw no fewer than three splices onto its RJ11. And that's only couting the ones that I could see...

Comment

DEFCON Vendors

Along with people selling things you may also find groups represented. One year I saw Rasmus Lerdorf (PHP creator) sitting all by himself at an ApacheCon booth, and I'm thinking, "Does anyone here know who this guy is?".

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                2 Parts:
                1: Free Stuff
                2: What is in the vendor area
                <snip a shitload of crap>
                Originally posted by TheCotMan
                (These lists are not complete, but a good start.)

Dude, check these links out:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=concise
                http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=summary
                http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=boring

I know you are trying to be helpful, but fuck me running man...do you actually think anyone bothers to read the transcriptions of War & Peace that you reply with each and every time? We are going to have to schedule downtime so that we can add a dedicated disk just to house your replies.

In response to the OPs question, I will post a list of the official vendors later tonight.
                perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

This year's vendors (subject to change at my whim):

CultureJunkie
                  UNIX Surplus
                  tommEE Pickles
                  No Starch Press/Last Gasp
                  University of Advancing Technology
                  Ninja Networks
                  j3sus.net
                  Shadowvex
                  Irvine Underground
                  Boblbee
                  Overdose
                  MECO
                  Breakpoint Books
                  BAWUG
                  GetInsight4U
                  Sound of Knowledge
                  Jinx
                  Blacklisted 411
                  Grifter
                  perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

Comment

Free stuff I have received:
                      Beer
                      Autographed books
                      Ads for websites
                      BSD install disks
                      Bruised ribs while trying to get a free t-shirt

Quasi-free stuff I have received:
                      Beer/snacks in trade for room/tv/shower/etc.
                      Free gas to Vegas and back to Ontario Mall in trade for giving aguy a ride
                      T-shirts and other stuff when I have stuff to trade that has a perceived value

Bring a thousand bucks with you anyway. Preferably in travelers checks.

Comment

If you're planning on buying food at the Alexis Park, I would recommend that you don't. I got fairly severe food poisoning there a few years ago and have been somewhat suspicious of the place's kitchens ever since.

Comment

I have seen less expensive and more nutritious food at major airports.

Comment

As a long-time defcon vendor myself (NinjaGear), I can tell you that if you're coming to defcon looking for good freebies, you're definitely coming to the wrong con.

Us and a lot of other folk spend a *fortune* in both money and time coming out there and bringing stuff, not to mention the custom stuff we get made just for defcon. You probably see us all selling shirts for $20 a piece and think we're making money hand over fist, but believe me, the expense is very significant. We do it for fun more than profit by a long shot.

So yeah guys, support the vendors, buy a couple shirts before you leave. :)

Comment

Barkode speaks the truth. If no one drops a few bucks on the vendors they will go away, and we don't want that. If you want deals the vendors may offer 50% off for the next 10 buyers, or if you buy in quantity you may get a bonus sticker or mug or something.

If anyone tells me, "Dude buy me a beer please, I wanna save my money for the vendor tables" I think that would be the most honorable statement possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X