Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We'll have a form on defcontv.org shortly, but i want to hear some feedback from those who watched and experienced it.

It went much smoother than last year, with only two reboots, due to poorly encoded movies that we were given. The switch to mplayer on linux took a great deal of work by eco to get to this point, but it was worth it.

Thanks for watching, and as always, we'll try to make it even better next year. Thanks to everyone who gave us suggestions, filler, comments and especially those who worked on the box.

DCMC: Brought to you by dc801, including help by: eco, tierra, harm, kampf, dedhed, A, Grifter, com4, Adrenaline, ManicV and undoubtedly more...
    #ut2600 / #dc-forums | EFNet

Very professionally done, much better than previous years. Great to know there was always something interesting on that channel no matter the time of day.

You do have to post the names/filenames of some of that really f'd up stuff you played. I particularly liked the one in, I think it was German, about workplace safety with the guys getting impaled on the forklift. Strangest thing I've ever seen.
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Very good job guys. I didn't see any problems, and the film lineup was traditional but still great.

Comment

Originally posted by nulltone
        Very good job guys. I didn't see any problems, and the film lineup was traditional but still great.
        Staplerfahrer Klaus, for anyone looking for a copy.

Comment

How about less movies and more crazy stuff? Also, wouldn't it be nice to see footage submitted from previous DC's on the channel? Like photo slide shows, and small moive clips of different events and such. Just a thought
          "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

I thought it was much better than last years...
            The small shorts and such were quite funny and I think next year should have more... Theres plenty of people with plenty of weird shit to submit.. so there will be no problem with material.
            I didn't notice any problems with the channel... but major problems with the TV's at the Alexis park...
            They were piece's of shit to say the least. Most of the talks were fuzzy and sometimes would cut out... The movie chan only came in on 1 of the TV's in the room we had.. if struck with an object, the TV's would return to a semi-clear state.
            (I saw the problem happening in more than just my room too.... )

To return to the subject... the movie channel was great this year.. Keep up the good work!
            The only constant in the universe is change itself

Comment

Originally posted by hackajar
              How about less movies and more crazy stuff? Also, wouldn't it be nice to see footage submitted from previous DC's on the channel? Like photo slide shows, and small moive clips of different events and such. Just a thought
              Good idea. I have some footage from X containing a pool dive by siviak. Old con footage is definitely wanted, if it's funny and/or interesting.

Next year we may even get a little more off the norm for movies, but there are those that are almost guaranteed a spot every year, no matter what.

Keep 'em coming!
              #ut2600 / #dc-forums | EFNet

Comment

The interstitials that were black and white with the defcon logo were funny.

The one that said DEFCON is canceled... Go Home was funny.

Great footage and great jobs. Only problem is normalization. The sound level was inconsistant.

tommEE
                tommEE pickles

Comment

kickass work, man. seriously top notch.

i also agree that the in-between content can be more hillarious and entertaining than the films (altho i have to give much praise to whomever included "Wonderful Days" in the lineup as i had never seen it before but found it simply stunning) and would love to see more of such material in the future.

if possible, could the DefCon TV guide for next year have a text-only list of all content so that attendees could know when such specific shorts were going to be broadcast? ah well, possibly not practical but still... could be fun.

i also concur about the TVs at the AP being ass. ours would flake out every so often, then you'd jiggle wires or smack it around and it would be ok again.

here's a though... and i understand why it would be difficult... but would you ever consider additional feeds on channels that aren't part of the local broadcast? like, you choose to use 3 channels for talks and 1 channel for movies that are pre-programmed into the hotel TV's channel lists... but what if there were additional channels with video feeds being pushed out, accessible to those of us who bring our universal remotes? (heh... i can already hear people thinking of a secret 24/7 Pr0n channel) :D
                  "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by tommEE
                    Only problem is normalization. The sound level was inconsistant.
                    Are you speaking of normilization between the different clips and movies or durring a movie itself? Most of the movies were strait from the dvd rips, no re-encoding, no proccessing at all. Our intent for this was to keep the movies as close to the dvd copy as we could. I can see how a movie intended for use on a home theater could sound very quiet with a large dynamic range on something as shitty as the tv's at the AP. I will try to find a solution for next year, either a plugin/feature of mplayer or some sort of external normilization hardware.

Keep the feedback comming please! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                      if possible, could the DefCon TV guide for next year have a text-only list of all content so that attendees could know when such specific shorts were going to be broadcast? ah well, possibly not practical but still... could be fun.
                      The deadline for material to be included for the program is about a month before the con. We were gathering filler material well beyond that date. I'll see if I can get a list of all of the filenames for the filler put up on defcontv.org.

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                      here's a though... and i understand why it would be difficult... but would you ever consider additional feeds on channels that aren't part of the local broadcast? like, you choose to use 3 channels for talks and 1 channel for movies that are pre-programmed into the hotel TV's channel lists... but what if there were additional channels with video feeds being pushed out, accessible to those of us who bring our universal remotes? (heh... i can already hear people thinking of a secret 24/7 Pr0n channel) :D
                      AFAIK defcon has free run of the cctv system of the AP for the duration of the con. Chris or DA would be a better source for info regarding this. The problem I can see with your idea is that it would require additional hardware for each channel that isn't normaly in the AP lineup. I'm not sure what kind of price tag one would be looking at for this, but headend hardware can get expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
                        Staplerfahrer Klaus, for anyone looking for a copy.
                        Thanks. Not knowing the language made it even funnier.

On another vein; perhaps DCTV should have it's own guide, rather than as part of the main program?

It would be worth a couple bucks to have our own version of TV guide for the weekend.
                        Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

I just typed up a huge post and IE erased it (someone else's computer...otherwise I would have been using Firefox). I'll post again when I'm less pissed off at IE.

Comment

Originally posted by eco
                            I just typed up a huge post and IE erased it (someone else's computer...otherwise I would have been using Firefox). I'll post again when I'm less pissed off at IE.
                            He's lying, IE is his favorite browser :)
                            .:. Adrenaline .:.

Comment

TV was awesome. How about working on a segue instead of just cutting off the clip and showing us black screen.

Also, more funny shorts are welcome. Show the movie hackers to. Definitely normalize the volume a bit.

Why would it cut off sometimes in the middle of videos?

DEFINTELY make the shorts you guys put up available for DL on the website. Some of that stuff was too funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X